Author Topic: Conrail 1985???  (Read 5913 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

conrail98

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1462
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +44
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 12:49:30 PM »
0

If and when I buy a house. First item on my list to get installed.


the covers don't work with oak flowers when they get wet.  they clog up the holes or go between the openings.  my neighbor switched from the covers to the foam inserts.  they work better, but require some attention.  stupid oak flowers.

That's why I got the product I did (there are a few others that do the same thing), there are no holes and all the brush, flowers, leaves that might flow down the roof and into the gutters or onto the screens, go over the edge and not into the gutters,

Phil
- Phil

Zox

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1120
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 03:33:42 PM »
0
We put gutter covers, Gutter Helmet I believe, in right after we moved in, the gutters don't get clogged at all and with the rest of the drainage work done, it's been pretty good,

I'll second the vote for Gutter Helmet.

I've got one tree next to my house that drops spiky green golf balls, which do a wonderful job of plugging the downspouts almost instantly. Since I got the covers a few years ago, no problems at all. If the gutters ever do clog, the company (Gutter Helmet, not just the local affiliate) is on the hook to clean them out and re-install the covers.

And even with my 13:12-pitch roof, the water goes into the gutters, not over them.
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

asciibaron

  • Guest
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 05:50:49 PM »
0
the neighbor had the gutter helmet - the oak flowers clogged up the gutters all the same, and in heavy rains, the helmets weren't containing the water.  the heavy rains went right over the gutter and washed out his flower bed.  he was not happy.  the foam lets the water through but keeps the oak flowers out.


John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14006
  • Respect: +4180
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2010, 06:05:09 PM »
0
I got these at home depot


wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7454
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2010, 08:01:05 PM »
0
Are they available in N scale?  Or in the Crew Lounge? :D
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

SquirrelHollow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 540
  • Gender: Male
  • Grease Monkey
  • Respect: 0
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2010, 08:03:02 PM »
0

I've got one tree next to my house that drops spiky green golf balls, which do a wonderful job of plugging the downspouts almost instantly.


Those damn "spiky green golf balls" are an issue for me, as well.  However, they're the least of my worries.  I just have too many leaves, seeds, and blossoms.  I haven't found any of the "magic" fixes that actually work.  Over my gutters, I have a Pine tree, several Maple trees, a Gum tree, the spiky green golf ball tree (another species of Gum, I think - the neighbor's), and at least a half-dozen Aspens.  In my yard, or the neighbors', there are massive Cottonwood trees (unending nightmares), various Oaks, a plethora of Apple trees (the blossoms are a nightmare), Cherry trees, Peach trees, Plum trees, more Maples, and several dozen Aspens.  It all adds up to so many leaves, no man can keep up - even with gutter covers (helmets, screens, foam inserts, whatever).

*(I'm not sure if the Cottonwoods back east are as bad as the west coast species.  If you're not familiar with the seed nightmare, let me know.  I can explain.)
-Robert

Uintah Railway, Utah Railway.

tom mann

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 10921
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +1017
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2010, 08:16:06 PM »
0
Guys, let's get back on topic and discuss Ed's basement flood please. ;D

Robbman

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3007
  • Respect: +18
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »
0
Drylok

Ian MacMillan

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12034
  • Gender: Male
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +167
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 07:13:16 AM »
0
My entire property is lake shore, bank run gravel. Never a water issue...I guess until the lake floods.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26106
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11598
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2010, 10:15:27 AM »
0
Well, I got home and scoped it out.

The gutters were repaired, and the water damage doesn't seem too extensive. Sprayed a lot of lysol into the area to combat any mold, and I think I might just put some moulding around the bottom of the paneling when we go to sell it.

Whew.

Now to just get the basement reorganized, and get to work.

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3573
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3968
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2010, 12:14:03 PM »
0
Ed also try the larger spray can of Ozium, works great, use to use it to spray the
car after smoking....forget it....

seusscaboose

  • The Pitt
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2099
  • Respect: +220
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2010, 12:24:05 PM »
0
have you broken down and gotten a dehumidifier yet?


"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook