Author Topic: Conrail 1985???  (Read 5911 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

asciibaron

  • Guest
Conrail 1985???
« on: August 19, 2010, 09:08:44 AM »
0
where is the progress on this layout?  you built the benchwork, now what?

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26106
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11598
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:57:33 AM »
0
Now I'm waiting for the basement to dry out so I can cover it in the recently acquired styrofoam.

asciibaron

  • Guest
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 10:00:50 AM »
0
Now I'm waiting for the basement to dry out so I can cover it in the recently acquired styrofoam.

do you have enough code 55 flex track?  the curved turnouts are available now.

davefoxx

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 12343
  • Gender: Male
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +8581
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
0
Now I'm waiting for the basement to dry out so I can cover it in the recently acquired styrofoam.

Ed,

I didn't know that you had problems with a wet basement.  I guess I assumed after seeing the wood paneling in your pictures that it must be dry or the paneling would be in poor shape.  Do you have flooding and/or humidity problems?

Dave

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!
Still General Counsel to the Laurel Valley Ry.

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11876
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:42:21 AM »
0
Do you have flooding and/or humidity problems?

Dave

I was about to ask the same.

Mark


tom mann

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 10921
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +1017
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 11:02:25 AM »
0
Last week Thursday, the Baltimore/Washington region had more rain than I can remember. 

Mark5

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 11876
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +942
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:09:18 AM »
0
hehe, you don't remember Agnes. ;)


tom mann

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 10921
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +1017
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 11:32:09 AM »
0
hehe, you don't remember Agnes. ;)

Well, more rain for a non-tropical weather disturbance then!

asciibaron

  • Guest
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
0
my suggestion is to model a car float operation  ;D

sirenwerks

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6035
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +510
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 01:59:27 PM »
0
About all I remember from Agnes were the caskets floating down the Occoquan. I didn't live in Ellicott City then to experience the devastation there first hand.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26106
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11598
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 02:15:37 PM »
0
Now I'm waiting for the basement to dry out so I can cover it in the recently acquired styrofoam.

Ed,

I didn't know that you had problems with a wet basement.  I guess I assumed after seeing the wood paneling in your pictures that it must be dry or the paneling would be in poor shape.  Do you have flooding and/or humidity problems?

Dave

Well, we didn't have water problems, but I think the blizzard hosed up my gutters, resulting in us taking on some water in the front corner. We're having someone taking a look at it, but with the rain we were getting (I think) over the first part of this week, it might be kinda crazy down there when we get home on Saturday (we're at the beach in NC at the moment).

SquirrelHollow

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 540
  • Gender: Male
  • Grease Monkey
  • Respect: 0
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 02:28:04 PM »
0
About all I remember from Agnes were the caskets floating down the Occoquan. I didn't live in Ellicott City then to experience the devastation there first hand.

The 1983 Salt Lake City flood was the last straw for rogue caskets in Utah.  Concrete burial vaults were already required in most cemeteries, but the '83 floods made it a 100% affair.  There were enough floating caskets that the state started a program to exhume non-compliant burials, and rebury them in vaults (starting with the most vulnerable locations first, of course).


Good luck letting your basement dry.  There's more weather on the way.  If you're lucky, it might dump everything before it hits the east coast.  I live about 20 miles south of SLC, and we had a forecast of a 20% chance of 0.03" of rain today.  My rain gauge disagrees.  So far: it's reading 1.9 inches; I have 4 inches of standing water in my back yard; an inch of driving rain has to be squeegeed back under my garage door every 30 minutes or so; and we appear to have 6 to 8 inches of water flowing down my street.  It sure is a lot of rapidly deposited, unexpected water, for living in the middle of the #$%^@#& desert.
-Robert

Uintah Railway, Utah Railway.

Puddington

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3874
  • Gender: Male
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +247
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 04:47:13 PM »
0
Been flooded twice in ten years - first time over two feet of grey water - cost me a layout; second time slightly less water; cost me my sainity..........I feel for you..... :-\
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Iain

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 4891
  • Gender: Female
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +838
    • The Best Puppers
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 05:01:28 PM »
0

(we're at the beach in NC at the moment).

I still say we should meet up.
I like ducks



wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7454
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Conrail 1985???
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 05:36:58 PM »
0
I spent a Saturday two weeks ago installing a new sump pump in my basement (took about 15 minutes) and pointing up the mortar in the brick wall down there (about all fookin day).  The new pump works great, and I've discovered that the water that floods in comes from around the water main.  Off to the hardware this weekend for some hydraulic cement to pack into the pipe collar....

And Iain, Ed didn't drive 800 miles to see you. 

You may no resume your regularly scheduled rant.

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net