Author Topic: Rapido speculation  (Read 9453 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Re: Rapido speculation
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2019, 05:50:17 PM »
I am not a fan of this teaser for the teasers tease stuff. Kato’s SDP40F was creative. So many HO things that I wished they would make in N scale......
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CNscale

• Crew
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2019, 05:55:26 PM »
Depends how much Rapido is hoping that I'll buy any more of their products.

I don't have any MRC power packs, so I'm good to go.  :)

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2019, 06:58:16 PM »
+1
Not to mention those NP radial roof boxcars...

Here's another newsletter with more physical HO announcements but more N teasers ... One of the molds look like it could be passenger car seats though. I guess Rapido will continue to torture us in the May and June versions .:)

Well that's the problem. We've got five announcements scheduled for one day in June, whereas the HO announcements are more spread out. The bulk of our lJune 24th announcements are these new Canadian N products. So I've got to keep mentioning them or the newsletter will be somewhat devoid of any N scale content....  :)

More teasers of the teaser for the teaser to come....

-Jason

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +723
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2019, 07:39:35 PM »
Complete with Wagner music playing in the background???

-Jason
Keep cracking jokes.
When are you going to provide some answers regarding this issue you started?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4702
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2019, 07:43:26 PM »
Well that's the problem. We've got five announcements scheduled for one day in June, whereas the HO announcements are more spread out. The bulk of our lJune 24th announcements are these new Canadian N products. So I've got to keep mentioning them or the newsletter will be somewhat devoid of any N scale content....  :)

Hmmm . . .such a low ratio of N to H0 Rapodo products?  Does this mean that Ken Patterson was correct stating that "N scale is about  3 to5 % in actual 2016-2017- 2018 sales [compared to H0?]" as covered in https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46844.0  :?
. . . 42 . . .

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +549
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2019, 07:47:03 PM »
Keep cracking jokes.
Technically it's an ESU thing since it's their decoder. Jason has to warranty the decoder since Rapido sells the model with one installed. If they have a large number of warranties and they all have the same thing in common, running an esu equipped loco on DC with mrc equipment, then he has a responsibility to the company (rapido) to say using mrc DC power voids said warranty even if it's anecdotal.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4702
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2019, 07:50:52 PM »
Technically it's an ESU thing since it's their decoder. Jason has to warranty the decoder since Rapido sells the model with one installed. If they have a large number of warranties and they all have the same thing in common, running an esu equipped loco on DC with mrc equipment, then he has a responsibility to the company (rapido) to say using mrc DC power voids said warranty even if it's anecdotal.

Like I said, I find it odd that ESU itself has not come up with any sort of a warning or disclaimer that they will not honor their warranty if their decoders are used with DC throttles (or with a specific throttle).  It makes no sense that Rapido, not ESU, issued the warning/disclaimer. :|
. . . 42 . . .

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2019, 09:54:57 PM »
+2
Hmmm . . .such a low ratio of N to H0 Rapodo products?  Does this mean that Ken Patterson was correct stating that "N scale is about  3 to5 % in actual 2016-2017- 2018 sales [compared to H0?]" as covered in https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=46844.0  :?

Yes 3-5 new HO announcements per month to 5 new N scale in one month.  :facepalm:
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +259
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2019, 02:34:43 AM »
Hmmm, yes, that mould (mold) could be passenger car coach seats. But it looks like 18 rows of 4, or 72 seats, so it's not a CPR Budd coach😞. So what Canadian car had 72 seats? And clearly one of the new offerings is "new N scale locomotive". Oh good Lord, I can't stand the tension... Give or take 2 1/2 months to June 24! Oh, please give me something for CPR circa late 1950's!
Geoff

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2019, 08:20:11 AM »
5 announcements at once seems to imply that they're related.

My guess is its a tempo train set, an RS-18, and maybe an LRC 6902.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2019, 08:31:16 AM »
Anything Canadian that is a five unit set?  Engine and 4 cars maybe?
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2019, 10:05:21 PM »
+7

In all honesty, nothing I say will appease someone who is very upset that we put that disclaimer in. I'm sorry we upset some people by the disclaimer, but we're not going to remove it. It is just about the 1300-series power packs, not all of them. All of the DC power packs we use at the office are MRC. I have a reliable Tech II in my layout room which I use often.

Before we put that disclaimer in we were getting customers contacting us with fried decoders almost every day, and it was usually down to either a train set or home built DC system, or an MRC 1300-series controller.

Since we put the disclaimer in, our fried decoder returns have plummeted, saving us a lot of money.

If including a disclaimer about one type of MRC power pack means someone vows never to buy a Rapido product, I am honestly impressed. It is every company's dream to have such loyal fans.

-Jason

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +462
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2019, 10:56:09 PM »
+5
How about a conclusion to the Rapido decoder vs. MRC power pack saga?

Depends how much Rapido is hoping that I'll buy any more of their products.

After Rapido singled out certain MRC power packs, they failed to explain how those units were apparently causing their decoders to fail.
Analysis here seemed to show that the peak output of the MRC power packs was within the limits specified by the NMRA standards.
What we still don't know is whether or not the Rapido decoders can withstand the peak input allowed by the NMRA standards.
I'm still hoping that Rapido will decide to reveal the failure mechanism of their decoders, other than that it seems to coincide with the use of  "train set" type power packs.

Keep cracking jokes.

Are you Grilling ESU the same way you are Grilling Jason on here? Because, like what has been said quite a few times before, it's an issue with THE ESU decoders, Not Rapido's stuff.
I personally feel that Jason and Rapido did the right thing with the warning and disclaimer that they are using now. If it's such an issue, maybe you should upgrade your power supply to something that isn't Train set quality.

Also, Joking and having a good time with their customer base is one of the things that we like about Rapido, and Jason.

Of course, if you actually cared about a "resolution," You would be talking to ESU and Rapido off line, and not blasting them here....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Point353

• Crew
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2019, 02:37:17 AM »
In all honesty, nothing I say will appease someone who is very upset that we put that disclaimer in.
Sure there is.
If you're going to blame "spikes" in the output of certain power packs for causing the decoders in your locos to fail, then provide some proof that the peak output of those power packs can exceed the limits established by NMRA specs. Likewise, provide some proof that the decoders can withstand the peak input voltage limits established by NMRA specs.

Again, some analysis that has been presented here in another thread seems to show that the peak output of an MRC 1300 does not exceed the limits of the NMRA specs.
Do you have proof to the contrary?
If so, will you present it on this forum?

Before we put that disclaimer in we were getting customers contacting us with fried decoders almost every day, and it was usually down to either a train set or home built DC system, or an MRC 1300-series controller.
Since we put the disclaimer in, our fried decoder returns have plummeted, saving us a lot of money.

Although the decoder failures may seem to coincide with the use of certain power packs, that doesn't establish which device may be at fault.

If including a disclaimer about one type of MRC power pack means someone vows never to buy a Rapido product, I am honestly impressed.

You still appear not to be grasping the situation.
It's not about the disclaimer itself.
It's about the lack of any supporting information to back it up.

Point353

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2019, 02:56:18 AM »
Are you Grilling ESU the same way you are Grilling Jason on here? Because, like what has been said quite a few times before, it's an issue with THE ESU decoders, Not Rapido's stuff.
I personally feel that Jason and Rapido did the right thing with the warning and disclaimer that they are using now. If it's such an issue, maybe you should upgrade your power supply to something that isn't Train set quality.

While ESU may be the manufacturer of the decoders, they are being purchased installed in a loco from Rapido.
If the issue was with a separate decoder purchased by the end customer from an ESU dealer - AND ESU was stating not to use them with certain power packs - then ESU would get the "grilling".
Also, why isn't ESU (or any other decoder manufacturer) issuing the same warning?

Of course, if you actually cared about a "resolution," You would be talking to ESU and Rapido off line, and not blasting them here....
Again, the issue is with Rapido because the decoder comes installed in a Rapido loco and Rapido is the one stating not to use certain power packs.
Also, Rapido doesn't seem to answer e-mail messages and you can't reach them directly on the phone.
Plus, if Rapido can "blast" another manufacturer's products in public without providing corroborating evidence, then they run the risk being "blasted" back.