Author Topic: Rapido speculation  (Read 9449 times)

CNR5529

• Crew
  • Respect: +624
    • My Shapeways Store
Re: Rapido speculation
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2019, 10:23:30 AM »
Looking at the teaser photos of the molds, my best guess is F40 and LRC coach (72 seats...). No matter what it is though, I'm sure they will look good running on the club layout!
Because why not...

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2019, 09:52:41 PM »
+1
@rapidotrains could you elaborate on what those differences are and how they translate to producing model trains?

The two British steam engines we have produced have been the Stirling Single and the J70 tram engine. Compared to the Royal Hudson, they are relatively simple with a lot fewer parts, both moving and non-moving.

The Single was a beast to design but once it was designed it wasn't too difficult to actually build. The Hudson is a much more involved build process as it has about a million parts and a lot of them move. The decoration of the Hudson - especially the Royal Train and the 1970s BCR version with the crests - is also very time consuming. One stray drop of glue near the end and you've lost hours and hours of work.

-Jason

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2019, 10:38:43 PM »
+1
The decoration of the Hudson - especially the Royal Train and the 1970s BCR version with the crests - is also very time consuming. One stray drop of glue near the end and you've lost hours and hours of work.

-Jason

Why not design your models like Kato does - so all the parts snap together without needing glue?  :trollface: :D
No need to explain - I know that comparing Rapido Trains and Kato models is like comparing apples and oranges - I just couldn't help myself to pull you leg a bit. ;)
. . . 42 . . .

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2019, 11:10:35 PM »
The two British steam engines we have produced have been the Stirling Single and the J70 tram engine. Compared to the Royal Hudson, they are relatively simple with a lot fewer parts, both moving and non-moving.

The Single was a beast to design but once it was designed it wasn't too difficult to actually build. The Hudson is a much more involved build process as it has about a million parts and a lot of them move. The decoration of the Hudson - especially the Royal Train and the 1970s BCR version with the crests - is also very time consuming. One stray drop of glue near the end and you've lost hours and hours of work.

-Jason

Please produce the Stirling in N scale. My wife would be the happiest woman on Earth!

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +910
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2019, 12:09:51 AM »
@rapidotrains could you elaborate on what those differences are and how they translate to producing model trains?

Engineer is on the opposite side of the locomotive so all the tooling has to be designed inside out.  :trollface:

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1001
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2019, 09:59:59 AM »
Why not design your models like Kato does - so all the parts snap together without needing glue?  :trollface: :D
No need to explain - I know that comparing Rapido Trains and Kato models is like comparing apples and oranges - I just couldn't help myself to pull you leg a bit. ;)
They could do it just like the Kato Mikado and include all the little bits in a bag for us to install ourselves- so the drop of glue is our fault....
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +910
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »
Please produce the Stirling in N scale. My wife would be the happiest woman on Earth!

As long as they produce an 'Emily' version :)

rapidotrains

• Crew
  • Respect: +265
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2019, 10:55:36 AM »
+1

Actually, I asked this on one of my recent trips to China. I brought Kato N and HO models and told the tooling guys that I wanted to do this.

Mr. Zhu looked at the sample and said that it was the best quality tooling he had ever seen in our industry. Not the most detailed, but the best quality. I asked him if he could do this, and he said yes - at three times our current tooling costs.

It's very hard for a smaller player like us to compete with the largest model train maker in the world. They have sales volumes and resources that are beyond our wildest dreams.

But, like Quixote, we will continue to try...  :D

-Jason

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2019, 10:56:57 AM »

-Jason

So we're going to have to call you Don now????   :D

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2019, 11:15:35 AM »
So we're going to have to call you Don now????   :D
The next rapido video should have Jason "Don Quixote" Shrone(sp?) In the credits
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1816
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2019, 11:53:52 AM »
Mr. Zhu looked at the sample and said that it was the best quality tooling he had ever seen in our industry. Not the most detailed, but the best quality. I asked him if he could do this, and he said yes - at three times our current tooling costs.

Very interesting.  Thank you for that feedback. 

FWIW, if I were given a choice between exquisite tooling plus a bags of parts vs less exquisite tooling but ready-to-run, I would choose the former.  But I don't think that is the choice on offer.  Still looking forward to the Draper Taper though!

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2019, 11:55:44 AM »
+1
The next rapido video should have Jason "Don Quixote" Shrone(sp?) In the credits

I hope they won't be showing us how Rapido makes windmill models!   :trollface:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:28:12 PM by MK »

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +717
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2019, 11:58:57 AM »
Actually, I asked this on one of my recent trips to China. I brought Kato N and HO models and told the tooling guys that I wanted to do this.
Kato calls its products "precision railroad models".
Is that the type of industry Mr. Zhu believes he is involved with when working for you, or does he view your products as nothing more than kiddie's toys?

If your tooling costs were tripled, by approximately how much would the retail prices of the models increase?
Conversely, do you think that trading off a lower level of detail in exchange for higher quality tooling might be worthwhile?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2019, 12:52:59 PM »

It's very hard for a smaller player like us to compete with the largest model train maker in the world. They have sales volumes and resources that are beyond our wildest dreams.

-Jason

Thanks Jason.  Yes, the quality of Kato's engineering and tooling is indisputable, and very clear to see when comparing them to other companies. Not sure if they are the largest model RR manufacturers, but they are much larger than Rapido Trains.  That is why I did put the "apples to oranges" disclaimer in my last post (that was reference to comparing company sizes and available budgets).   Like Gary, I would prefer a Kato-quality model to a more crude model with bunch of extra separately applied "flair"added to it.  But I understand why that is not in the cards.

But this also makes me wonder how relatively small companies like German Hobbytrain/Lemke can contract some of their model manufacturing to Kato and still remain profitable.  The production quantities are most likely much smaller than what Kato makes for their domestic market.  UNless of course, behind the scenes,  Kato actually owns Lemke.
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2019, 03:15:56 PM »
UNless of course, behind the scenes,  Kato actually owns Lemke.

I believe that may be the case. Or, if not ownership, then very close partnership.