Author Topic: Weekend Update 8/29/21  (Read 3332 times)

nscalbitz

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
Re: Weekend Update 8/29/21
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 08:01:46 PM »
... because they no longer rely on manpower to align tracks..?

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +1500
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 09:14:13 PM »
@R L Smith, where are you at in that photo ? :D

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +234
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 10:28:22 AM »
+6

I recently helped install a  signal system for my friend's HO PRR layout.  It has taken four of us, working for 18 months.  There are five Arduinos monitoring 53 block detection sections, 40 turnouts and 18 traffic control levers in seven interlocking plants.  They control 151 signal aspects, using about 650 LEDs. One Arduino also provides variable speed and direction control for a Walthers turntable.  I highlighted a few of the signals in the image.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +1387
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 10:43:21 AM »
+1
Brookville equipment builds mining locomotives, streetcars to various gauges, standard-gauge equipment, and pretty much of anything on steel wheels.  Rather than a mess of multi-gauge switches, every bay and gauge comes to the turntable, and the turntable and connecting test track are super multi-gauge.  I think they can do anything from 24" up to streetcar wide gauge 5' 2 1/4 (New Orleans, PA, others).   But that turntable is something else, and there's a multi-gauge test track on the original Shawmut main line on site as well.  Look on Google Earth, Brookville, PA, southeast side of town.  The B&P shop is nearby, but that turntable is the dead giveaway for the Brookville Equipment site.

Rather than the multi-gauge Skoda mess, there's only the multi-gauge turntable as the 'super switch' for every track on the plant site.

The original Brookville plant site was closer to downtown, in the creekbed, and the multi-gauge tracks were visible from Rt. 36.  It was flooded out, and the entire site was moved out to this new facility, I think in the late 1980's.  It's very modern.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 10:47:01 AM by randgust »

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +1365
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 10:47:12 AM »
+8
Running a couple of my eastern passenger trains this morning on my Pennsy module:

-Kato NYC 20th Century Limited set.  Kato A-B-A set of PA's (re-trucked to run on Atlas code 55 track, Gold Medal Models windshield wipers, MT true scale coupler on the lead unit pilot, unimates between units.  Yes, I know NYC didn't use the PA's on the Century, but it looks cool anyways).  Kato E7a's (Gold Medal Models windshield wipers, MT true scale coupler on the lead unit pilot, unimates between units).  Bachmann J3a Hudson 4-6-4 (factory sound, MT 905 Z scale coupler on the pilot, weathered).  The diesels still need to be weathered.

-Kato PRR Broadway Limited set.  Kato E8a's (Gold Medal Models windshield wipers, MT true scale coupler on the lead unit pilot, unimates between units).

All the Kato motive power has Digitrax decoders installed.

Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +6630
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 11:05:26 AM »
+18
Progress at Aspen on the N Scale Colorado Midland.

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 01:08:46 PM »

I recently helped install a  signal system for my friend's HO PRR layout.  It has taken four of us, working for 18 months.  There are five Arduinos monitoring 53 block detection sections, 40 turnouts and 18 traffic control levers in seven interlocking plants.  They control 151 signal aspects, using about 650 LEDs. One Arduino also provides variable speed and direction control for a Walthers turntable.  I highlighted a few of the signals in the image.

Wow what an incredible undertaking!

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 01:21:11 PM »
+11
Lately I’ve been building free-no-N modules, and an odd shaped connecting module. With the completion of the four modules I’ll have a completed loop around my room, which is a major milestone for me as I’ve never had an operating railroad of any kind.

Two of the modules, pictured here, are to represent two large bridge crossings in the Malahat mountains, on Vancouver Island. In both cases I’ve build wood stand-ins for the bridges.

In the case of Niagara Canyon, I’m in the early stages of building an uncompressed etched/printed bridge which will take ages for me to build as I’m learning the software at the same time.

For the Arbutus Canyon bridge, I have already begun building the bridge from ME and Atlas parts but will still use the stand-in until scenery is complete so I don’t destroy it with my elbows.

The goal is to get basic land forms done, and then install track so I can have my loop up and running… get my kids tubing some long trains. Then I’ll get to scenery.

Speaking of which I’ve been making some latex rock moulds and playing with castings as well, as both modules will need a lot of them.

Craig

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +304
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 01:46:57 PM »
Lately I’ve been building free-no-N modules, and an odd shaped connecting module. With the completion of the four modules I’ll have a completed loop around my room, which is a major milestone for me as I’ve never had an operating railroad of any kind.

For the Arbutus Canyon bridge, I have already begun building the bridge from ME and Atlas parts but will still use the stand-in until scenery is complete so I don’t destroy it with my elbows.

The goal is to get basic land forms done, and then install track so I can have my loop up and running… get my kids tubing some long trains. Then I’ll get to scenery.

Speaking of which I’ve been making some latex rock moulds and playing with castings as well, as both modules will need a lot of them.

Craig

I'll soon be undertaking a much less ambitious project, but it will be my first attempt at building a river crossing ... so I will be very appreciative of any progress shots you care to post, Craig. Very helpful so far.

The bridge on my layout is also a necessary step in getting me "roundy-round" capability. Always desirable, even if you operate point-to-point.

Thank you!

Jim

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 02:44:11 PM »
+1

I'll soon be undertaking a much less ambitious project, but it will be my first attempt at building a river crossing ... so I will be very appreciative of any progress shots you care to post, Craig. Very helpful so far.

The bridge on my layout is also a necessary step in getting me "roundy-round" capability. Always desirable, even if you operate point-to-point.

Thank you!

Jim

Hey Jim. I had a lot of help from TRW when I build my first river crossing in this thread:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=48417.15

Also I highly recommend looking at Luke Towan’s videos on YouTube. He does some amazing work with very simple to follow steps.

This guy is one to follow as well:

/>
Craig
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 03:00:55 PM by craigolio1 »

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +304
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 05:10:47 PM »
Hey Jim. I had a lot of help from TRW when I build my first river crossing in this thread:

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=48417.15

Also I highly recommend looking at Luke Towan’s videos on YouTube. He does some amazing work with very simple to follow steps.

This guy is one to follow as well:

/>
Craig

That's an excellent thread! So good I had already bookmarked it ... but forgot about it because I now have approximately 265 TRW threads bookmarked for future reference.  :facepalm:

I need bookmarks for my bookmarks.

Jim

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 11:54:14 PM »
+5
The 2-10-4 Texas Type moves on a bit. This is an in progress shot - the shell needs a massive amount of work and super detailing  and the mechanism is nowhere near ready. It does run though.  :D :D

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +379
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2021, 04:42:40 PM »

Two of the modules, pictured here, are to represent two large bridge crossings in the Malahat mountains, on Vancouver Island. In both cases I’ve build wood stand-ins for the bridges.

In the case of Niagara Canyon, I’m in the early stages of building an uncompressed etched/printed bridge which will take ages for me to build as I’m learning the software at the same time.

Craig

Hope much is that canyon module gonna weigh after the player rocks are done. That's some sturdy benches for it, too.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Ghillieman777

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2021, 07:23:31 PM »
+18
Made some progress on a long awaited project, NS CS-32/CS-31A coil cars.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The hoods are even stackable.  :D

Still have to add brake details, truck and coupler fitting, and some minor stuff here and there.