Author Topic: Circus Train to end May 2017  (Read 3044 times)

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
Circus Train to end May 2017
« on: January 15, 2017, 12:37:30 PM »
+1
1/14/17.  It has been announced by circus train owner Feld Entertainment that the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus will close in May 2017 after over a century of operation.  While it is not clear at this point what will happen with the many cars that the circus has operated at the least we are fortunate enough to have many images that have been gathered on the internet for all of us to use and enjoy.

In N-scale we have the good fortune of having some cars that can help to represent the circus train, at least from the mid-70s to the 90s.  In addition to items such as the autorack and flat cars produced by Micro-Trains, TJ Models and Raintree, just to name a few, which include a variety of circus equipment a number of passenger cars made by Kato USA also loan themselves to modeling the more recent version of the train.  The PRR Broadway Limited Budd 21 Roomette sleeper is one of the cars that RBBX has made great use of, which has acquired these well built cars from commuter agencies in the northeast as they were retired only being outnumbered on the roster by a large number of former UP cars leg-rest coaches, baggage and storage mail cars.  While more recent versions have been heavily modified as far as their appearance is concerned a reasonable representation can at least be made using these cars as a starting point.

Earlier versions of the circus train were far more distinctive, what with the many different cars that had been acquired from so many different sources.  While not so easily modeled the earlier versions can none the less be modeled but require a great deal more effort since ready-to-run cars are not available for most but things like etched metal or styrene milled sides help to make even these earlier consists possible as well.  Now if only we can convince MT to produce some decent WWII hospital ward cars to compliment their troop car models... we would be even closer to modeling earlier consists.

Prototype photos of the circus train's passenger cars can be found here.  Consist information and much more about not only Ringling Bros. but Strates Shows and other carnival trains can be found on the Circus Train List at Yahoo! Groups.

I have never seen a circus train consist in N-scale but such is possible to do and I hope that folks will share photos of what they have done.  Like many passenger train consists it is a good bit easier these days to model the circus train, and nearly as easy to model the various carnival trains that use to travel the rails as well.  We owe a debt of gratitude to manufacturers who are willing to invest in passenger train equipment and to Feld Entertainment for giving us so many years of memorable performances.

Fairwell RBBX... may you be remembered forever!!!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Circus Train to end May 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 03:49:02 PM »
This is a 3rd thread on the same subject. We have other ones in the Crew Lounge and the Prototype section.

Now you started one in N scale. I can tell you that my friend Roland's custom-built N-scale Red and Blue RBB&B trains are still safe and will be rolling through the NTRAK layouts for the foreseeable future.

:trollface: :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 04:50:20 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 03:56:08 PM »
I thought at first the headline was "CITRUS Train to end".

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3331
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:55:33 AM »
+7
Here are a few photos of some of the Ringling cars that I've done.  I have two trains:  one from the 1940's and one from the 1980's [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I'm also doing (work in progress) the 1938 Tim McCoy Wild West Train.  Lots of wagons to build on this one yet (all the wagons are scratch built). [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

altohorn25

• Crew
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 08:07:57 AM »
+1
A couple of photos of some of the wagons and cars:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 08:17:25 AM by altohorn25 »
Nate Pierce
www.modutrak.com

altohorn25

• Crew
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 08:20:13 AM »
+2
For the modern train, I cut the skirts of the Concor/MT cars to make them look a bit more prototypical.  Also changed all the duplicate car numbers. [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Nate Pierce
www.modutrak.com

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 12:15:21 PM »
Awesome, Nate!

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 03:30:49 PM »
Definitely nice, Nate!!!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 04:11:56 PM »
That is some great modeling and scratchbuilding Nate!  You and my friend Roland should get together - I see a lot of similarities between what you did and Roland's models.  There aren't many circus train modelers out there (especially in N scale) and a lot of research and scratchuilding is required to create accurate models.
. . . 42 . . .

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +103
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 04:49:06 PM »
Those are awesome models, change the globes to blue and the locomotives to a FEC SD40-2 an you have the train I saw being setup this morning. Makes me want to start to collect the current train.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 05:41:04 PM »
+3
I'm currently working on a Z version of the train.   Relies on the short 60ft flats but the effect is still pretty good, especially for a small Z layout.   I'm blanking out windows, adding roof details and interiors, and lighting to the stock MTL cars.

No great photos, but here's a mockup of the roof conduit I'm working on....

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I also have the correct trucks now, too.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:43:27 PM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

altohorn25

• Crew
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 07:19:53 AM »
That's one thing that I did on the N scale models as well; swap out the trucks.  Make a big visual difference; much more correct to the prototype.  :)
Nate Pierce
www.modutrak.com

altohorn25

• Crew
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 09:47:11 AM »
Here are a few close ups of my Tim McCoy Wild West Show wagons:

Nate Pierce
www.modutrak.com

prbharris

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 11:07:26 AM »
Here are a few close ups of my Tim McCoy

Your models are really wonderful, Nate. Thank you.

We have the Col Tim McCoy decals for our Warren and Mt Vernon circus cars for any other modelers of this show [as well as many other show and circus names]! www.nscalekits.com

Peter

Peter Harris
N Scale Kits
www.nscalekits.com

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 10:48:14 AM »
One of my favorite trains to see on Modutrak.  It's impressively long too.   
~ Matt