Author Topic: Building blueprints  (Read 2203 times)

NYC

Building blueprints
« on: March 21, 2006, 03:12:19 PM »
Ok I am going to attempt to scratch build a factory fairly close to scale. I was wondering if anyone knows if blueprints would be available somewhere and if you ever searched for them for a project? The factory is still in business and I was wondering if they are available to the public in a local government office or am I stuck trying to contact the factory whom I am sure will be less than thrilled to help?

3rdrail

Re: Building blueprints
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 04:10:55 PM »
Depending on the "sunshine" laws of your state regarding public documents, the plans should be on file at the city or county department that issues building permits. Be aware though, that in most cases they are just that, plans, which show the footprint of the building and lack side elevations. When I got a building permit for my house, I submitted only a plan and the front elevation. It was the following year before the county required all elevations.

It is possible that if you get the name of the architectural firm that designed the building from the county records, that firm might still have the elevations and possibly be willing to share them. If it's a 100 year old structure, I wouldn't count on it, though.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 08:30:48 PM »
You can also try the Library of Congress .. Historical Architecture project ..

NYC

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 08:22:01 AM »
Thanks for the info guys, just last night I got a tip on a historical society for said structure that I didn't know about. I think I will give them a shot first then try as you suggested.