Author Topic: March Railwire Group Project  (Read 7775 times)

sw1000b

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: March Railwire Group Project
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 05:03:07 PM »
March entry?
Started with a Walthers 89' flat car. Scatchbuilt ends and iron bracing.
I used Poly S washes and gouache. The end wood beams are bass wood glued together and painted. I used black mulch for the scraps on the deck.  Boy, looking at my photo of the model beside the prototype, I sure can see I messed up on the center iron "beam" placement. I wish I had more time to work on this but ran out of time with work and travel. I'm even running out of time to post this.

Thanks for looking

removed excess characters to permit 3rd photo to appear - 3rdrail
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 05:26:18 PM by 3rdrail »

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 05:58:38 PM »
Cool car, Butch. I really like the mulch scraps on the deck, that's a really great idea.
Sean

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 07:30:43 PM »
Here's mine:

I lightly airbrushed the ryourstone formula of 2 parts rust to 1 part grimy black to create a grayish/green grunge base coat.  On top of this, I airbrushed a boxcar red/oxide red mixture.  I followed up by drybrushing acrylics with a deer hoof brush, mixing in a little chalk here and there.

The Krunk.org site is great for trailers/flatcar shots.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 07:35:46 PM by tom mann »

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 10:34:25 PM »
Ok here is my entry.....Some issues with it, its a MT car and the molding of the bulkheads was not very good on it. I decided that they had been "replaced" with steel plates at some point in its life. I wanted to do more to this like airbrush, some boards, dry rust the steel with chalks, and lower the car, but did not have the time to do it.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 07:10:46 AM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

daves

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2006, 03:48:18 AM »
Here is my entry, A IM 60' Wood deck flatcar. I modified the car to match the prototype by adding
the side panel along the stake pockets. Custom mixed the yellow used 2 Microscale decal sets to
make the OTTX reporting marks. I weathered the car with gouache and powders.

MrKLUKE

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006, 04:38:48 PM »
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:33:23 PM by MrKLUKE »

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2006, 01:03:16 AM »
I have seen one of those cars before, they are for carrying rail. (The one I saw was loaded with rail anyway.) I also know that CN has some somewhat similar cars for carrying rail as well. I have seen those as well.

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2006, 03:23:57 AM »
I have seen one of those cars before, they are for carrying rail. (The one I saw was loaded with rail anyway.) I also know that CN has some somewhat similar cars for carrying rail as well. I have seen those as well.

The Steelton & Highspire also has some similar cars, as they serve the former Bethlehem rail mill in Steelton, PA. CSX also has some close matches.
Sean

sw1000b

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2006, 12:09:22 PM »
Jeff & Gonzo,
I saw this car at the Overlook "Iron Bridge" just west of Enola yard, just on the other side of Rt. 81. It was originally an old iron bridge that was recently replaced with a new concrete bridge, and chain link fencing on both sides, and has opening for photographing the trains. There is enough room to stand and not be bothered by traffic. I was up a couple of weeks ago and shot it. I have some time now to write about it. I started with a Walthers 89' flat. I sandblasted the "KTTX" lettering and any other lettering that didn't apply to the "MTTX". I then used Evergreen styrene to make the ends of the car and "H" beam for the upright bracing. I also added the extra upright bracing on the side sils. I then repainted it with a mixture of Poly S White, Reefer Yellow, and Black. I put a strip of tape down the middle of the car and weathered the outside the edges of the deck, and then removed the tape and gave the whole deck a wash of Poly S. I then painted the "H" beams with a mixture of Poly S Black and Milwaukee Grey. I then painted the rust with Gouache. I used Bass Wood for the ends, chopping the bottom off to simulate the, I would imagine the "rebar or rail" shifting and damaging the ends. I tried to find something to use for the chopped wood on the deck and I looked for cigarette butts to get the tobacco. I thought I would dye the tobacco black and chop it up, but when I was looking for them, I saw black mulch and thought that would work. I then decaled the car using Microscale "TTX" 89' decals. I made my own decals for "MTTX" and a few of the small decals that aren't on the decal sheet. I just purchased some of Sergent Engineering couplers for photographing. They look pretty good and you actually have to have the knuckle open to couple to next car. I have been told these cars haul rebar, and I've seen them with rail. I took the car with me to Seattle last week, but didn't get to work on it to much, because I couldn't take my tools with. I did get to show my granddaughter(4 yrs.) how to decal, because she wasn't sure what I meant when I told her I work on model train cars. She gave me one of her paint brushes to use and I ended up with a few sparkles on the sides, need to clean the paint brush out better next time.

It's a gorgeous afternoon, need to walk down to the tracks and check out the rust and graffiti.

Butch

sw1000b

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2006, 01:20:28 PM »
I forgot, nice entries by all. We need more entries, somehow.

Butch/sw1000b

bsoplinger

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2006, 04:39:52 PM »
I had plenty of great photos to work from, and cars to do, but all the photos are in books, couldn't find a single color shot of a LVRR, PRR or CNJ flat I'd want to do  :-[

Hopefully I'll be luckier with next month's challenge.

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2006, 04:56:37 AM »

I saw this car at the Overlook "Iron Bridge" just west of Enola yard, just on the other side of Rt. 81. It was originally an old iron bridge that was recently replaced with a new concrete bridge, and chain link fencing on both sides, and has opening for photographing the trains. There is enough room to stand and not be bothered by traffic.

I'm very familiar with the Iron Bridge, I try to go shooting there every time I visit the Harrisburg area. Great spot to catch the action.

What is this "Gouache" you speak of? I've never heard of it before.

Anyways, I was working on a car, but while drilling holes for grab irons I snapped a #80 drill bit off in the side sill, and that pretty much sidelined the project. By the time I bit the bullet and decided there's no way to get the broken bit out and re-drill the holes, it was the 30th and I just decided to take a short break from working on models every single day and recharge a little bit. So that's why there's no entry from me this month. I was just a general slacker, it took me half the month to even pick a prototype from the photos I gleaned from the net.
Sean

The Donkey

• Crew
    • The Donkey's Dirty Details
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2006, 05:38:50 AM »
What is this "Gouache" you speak of? I've never heard of it before.
Sean-it's a water based oil medium kinda (if that makes any sense)-here's a link:
http://www.modeltrainsweathered.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338&highlight=gouache
It's made by Winsor & Newton, & you can pick it up at Michael's, or a comparable craft store. I JUST started working with it a little, & although it's slightly "pricey", a little seems to go a long way!
Maybe my MTW "compadres" can jump in here & explain it better than I can!
Mitch
They're not "Crown Victorias"-they're known
as "Police Interceptors"

http://ddd.shywolfsbeads.com/index.html
http://donkey.rrpicturearchives.net

daves

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2006, 06:08:02 AM »
Mitch very close Gouache is water based artist acrylic which has a adhesive in it.
Very easy to use, removable, multi-applicational, mixes well with just about any
clear liquid. The W&N is up there in $$ but you can find the same stuff made
by Reeves for half the price.
One other item to point out is that it will mix well with your A.I.M powders.