Author Topic: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module  (Read 1150 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16564
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7455
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2026, 11:42:02 AM »
+4
Wait a minute...  What if there was a "Shadow Box Module Standard" that sets a height value, which if repeated, would allow modules to be stacked in the display, so viewers could gawk at three or four levels of railroad all at once?  What would happen to those world records for module participation if we used, shall we say, the "Air Rights" over our modules?

Hmmm.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

randgust

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3263
  • Respect: +2980
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2026, 12:58:49 PM »
+3
The biggest advantage I saw - and always a problem at open shows - was the overhead lighting was just phenomenal, true daylight, and the photography in that situation was outstanding.

Combine that with the dead scene modeling, photo backdrop, etc., truly outstanding model.

I saw times where out of all the modules to photograph trains on, there was almost a line there.

It could be a little higher on the sky and still be as effective.

Which gets me wondering if those of us with 'permanent' skyboards need to start looking at removable roofs.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26110
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11605
    • Conrail 1285
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2026, 02:09:34 PM »
0
Wait a minute...  What if there was a "Shadow Box Module Standard" that sets a height value, which if repeated, would allow modules to be stacked in the display, so viewers could gawk at three or four levels of railroad all at once?  What would happen to those world records for module participation if we used, shall we say, the "Air Rights" over our modules?

Hmmm.
Lee

Oh man, that'd be hot.

Also imagine a home layout built like that...

That's actually what I'm working on writing about (for RMC) right now, actually.

ednadolski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5079
  • Respect: +2096
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2026, 02:10:53 PM »
+1
The roof/shadowbox is a great idea, and looks awesome, it just seems a little strange to have it on something intended to be viewed at tabletop level.   Is there anything in T-Track that allows a higher tabletop?  I suppose the standard doesn't care, as long as all tables are the same height?

At my local club, some folks add leg extensions to the tables to bring them up to about 48".   Not so great for kid's viewing, but it really helps the old guys like me who have knee/back issues.

Ed

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26110
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11605
    • Conrail 1285
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2026, 02:19:20 PM »
+1
The biggest advantage I saw - and always a problem at open shows - was the overhead lighting was just phenomenal, true daylight, and the photography in that situation was outstanding.

Combine that with the dead scene modeling, photo backdrop, etc., truly outstanding model.

I saw times where out of all the modules to photograph trains on, there was almost a line there.

It could be a little higher on the sky and still be as effective.

Which gets me wondering if those of us with 'permanent' skyboards need to start looking at removable roofs.

If I were building this to actually be a great module I definitely would've added a couple more inches to the height for better viewing. But... that would've defeated the purpose of the "Can I build something within these constraints that looks good?" proof of concept that it is.

Haha, and yea, every time I saw people shooting video or photos of it my ego grew two sizes.

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26110
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11605
    • Conrail 1285
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2026, 02:28:43 PM »
+1
The roof/shadowbox is a great idea, and looks awesome, it just seems a little strange to have it on something intended to be viewed at tabletop level.   Is there anything in T-Track that allows a higher tabletop?  I suppose the standard doesn't care, as long as all tables are the same height?

At my local club, some folks add leg extensions to the tables to bring them up to about 48".   Not so great for kid's viewing, but it really helps the old guys like me who have knee/back issues.

Ed


The standard doesn't care about what height the layout is at. I like the idea of using taller tables if they're available. Hmm...

Also, yeah, again, the purpose of this wasn't to optimize for T-TRAK usage and viewing but to be a PoC for, well, this insanity on the home layout.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

KSTXFLID

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 56
  • Respect: +36
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2026, 06:32:05 PM »
+2
This is why I fervently read the Railwire. I’ve been dancing around this exact concept for the past year without knowing it.
I don’t personally know you Ed but thank you for bridging the “concept” gap that I’ve been struggling with.
So simple. Very well executed and a “shadow box” creates so many additional advantages. It’s a scene after all.

Thank you for sharing.

Insanity is just a different perspective.  :D

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26110
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11605
    • Conrail 1285
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2026, 08:49:46 AM »
0
This is why I fervently read the Railwire. I’ve been dancing around this exact concept for the past year without knowing it.
I don’t personally know you Ed but thank you for bridging the “concept” gap that I’ve been struggling with.
So simple. Very well executed and a “shadow box” creates so many additional advantages. It’s a scene after all.

Thank you for sharing.

Insanity is just a different perspective.  :D

The flattering continues, lol.

Sit tight: I'm halfway through (or a quarter of the way depending on how things go) writing an article exploring the idea for RMC.

N Scale Train Boy

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 145
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +193
    • The Balfour and Colucci Creek Southern Railroad
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2026, 09:04:43 AM »
+1
Damn Ed... really incredible stuff! Makes me want to get back to work on my Hopewell Junction T-trak modules... gotta remove and redo all the scenery, and still have a couple structures to scratch build, lol. Beautiful work, thanks for sharing!
Check out my YouTube Channel youtube.com/@NScaleTrainBoy and the B&CCS at bccsrailroad.weebly.com!

-Dennis

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26110
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11605
    • Conrail 1285
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2026, 05:02:57 PM »
+2
Damn Ed... really incredible stuff! Makes me want to get back to work on my Hopewell Junction T-trak modules... gotta remove and redo all the scenery, and still have a couple structures to scratch build, lol. Beautiful work, thanks for sharing!

Good! Get to work.

randgust

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3263
  • Respect: +2980
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2026, 10:13:09 AM »
+2
Yeah, you're definitely on to something.

My (adult) son looked at your photos of my I1 in the Seidelmann Run module that you took at Altoona this morning and I got a 'wow' out of him, and he's familiar enough with my modeling and the hobby in general that extracting that reaction deserves mention.

I want to revisit exactly what you used for lighting, and the power supply, as one principle of Ttrak is you're on your own for auxiliary non-track power on your module.   I've got some multiple battery banks on mine now for 'stuff' and that seems to be accepted practice, but you're doing something here that's the secret sauce.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2026, 10:19:34 AM by randgust »

Ed Kapuscinski

  • Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 26110
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +11605
    • Conrail 1285
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2026, 10:40:25 AM »
0
Yeah, you're definitely on to something.

My (adult) son looked at your photos of my I1 in the Seidelmann Run module that you took at Altoona this morning and I got a 'wow' out of him, and he's familiar enough with my modeling and the hobby in general that extracting that reaction deserves mention.

I want to revisit exactly what you used for lighting, and the power supply, as one principle of Ttrak is you're on your own for auxiliary non-track power on your module.   I've got some multiple battery banks on mine now for 'stuff' and that seems to be accepted practice, but you're doing something here that's the secret sauce.

Ain't no secrets here. I use these LEDs from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08X1LK54Z?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title

I plug them into whatever USB power bank I have sitting around. Most of our devices are USB-C now so we have a handful of old USB A ones that are perfect for this. But I also keep a 110v to USB adapter around and an extension cord in case "shore power" is conveniently available.

ednadolski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5079
  • Respect: +2096
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2026, 11:26:13 AM »
0
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere.  @Ed Kapuscinski what is your overarching approach: are you building these modules in the context of a larger plan (e.g., a 'complete' layout of some sort), or do you build them as inspiration strikes?   Just wonderin'  ;)

Ed N.

Scottl

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5307
  • Respect: +2619
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2026, 12:03:11 PM »
0
@Ed Kapuscinski  what are the dimensions of the helix you need to generate the clearance in your Ttrack concept?  It must be very large, I would think.

Missaberoad

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3833
  • Gender: Male
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1378
Re: My Seidelmann Run T-TRAK Module
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2026, 02:02:35 PM »
0
Oh man, that'd be hot.

Also imagine a home layout built like that...

That's actually what I'm working on writing about (for RMC) right now, actually.

It has been done, kind of...

Not in a shadow box but MRP 2003 featured Gary Saxton's 7 level N scale layout with about 8 inches between levels and a 710 foot mainline run in a dining room.
an interesting concept for sure.