Author Topic: Doing stuff again.  (Read 7060 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

nickelplate759

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3845
  • Respect: +1592
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2026, 01:03:03 PM »
0
Nice modeling, but my first thought is that the highest protruding boards, in the top half of the car, are too regular.

I see high boards (from that top) as follows:

4, 7, 10, 13, 14, 16, 17, ...

Maybe shift board 10 up or down one?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2026, 01:33:01 PM »
+1
Yeah board 10 is the one I changed.   :)

robert3985

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3561
  • Respect: +1935
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2026, 09:53:43 PM »
+2
Only printed one side and one end because you just copy the other side and delete the brakes.



That popped out middle board right in the center... I just pushed it in .0005". It was the only board causing problems with my brain  :ashat:

That's looking pretty damn good!  I like the boards best from the bottom up to the protruding 10 board, then I see distinct, even patterns the rest of the way up.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the boards don't initially go clear across the side of the car, but are cut so that they (at least) butt against the door frame.  So, I'd slice what you decide you like as far as a board pattern (or lack of pattern) is concerned, then flip it over for the opposing side of the car on the other side of the door so it doesn't look like the boards are the same going clear across the car side.

HIGHLY interesting!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

ednadolski

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5079
  • Respect: +2094
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2026, 12:16:37 AM »
0
Only printed one side and one end because you just copy the other side and delete the brakes.



That popped out middle board right in the center... I just pushed it in .0005". It was the only board causing problems with my brain  :ashat:

@Chris333 I'm curious about what you did to intersect the different depth boards with the vertical and diagonal bracing?  or is the difference so small that there is no need to bother?

Ed

garethashenden

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2339
  • Respect: +1840
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2026, 05:46:52 AM »
0
Only printed one side and one end because you just copy the other side and delete the brakes.



That popped out middle board right in the center... I just pushed it in .0005". It was the only board causing problems with my brain  :ashat:

If you really want to push the envelope, make the two sides different.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2026, 07:14:05 AM »
0
It was all a 2D drawing that I made in AutoCAD and imported into Sketchup. You just push or pull everything after that to make it all 3D. The diagonal bracing was already popped out about .003" from the boards. The whole model was basically done except for the boards. I push/pulled them at random depths.

And Sketchup sucks. This model is so big now that Sketchup is slowed down to a crawl.

garethashenden

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2339
  • Respect: +1840
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2026, 10:55:30 AM »
0
Fusion360 has a free "Personal Use" license. Its so much more powerful than Sketchup. You've done amazing things within Sketchup's limitations, I think a proper CAD program would unlock something huge.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2026, 11:08:33 AM »
0
Sketchup sucks, but I know how to use it. I've had Soildworks several times and the scroll wheel dynamic zoom is backwards. I get pissed off and never even try to learn the program.

I can spend 2 months learning a new program or I can look at my new print in my hands.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2026, 11:42:32 AM »
+7
Here is what the finished boxcar looks like



I've heard the MTL boxcar is wrong. It sure does look wide.

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2026, 12:56:11 PM »
0
My $33 dollar hopper  :|

I just got done with a ball bit cutting wheel wells into the slope sheets so the wheels will now spin. But the bolster pins were glued in so one broke removing the trucks. Had to drill what was left out of the hole. Then go to use an Atlas pin, but the Bowser trucks don't fit. So dilled those out to fit. Touched up the paint where I did bodywork. Pop the trucks on and now it will roll down the track.


Model Railroading Is Fun  :)

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #160 on: September 07, 2026, 01:41:58 PM »
+4
Now two types of T-section trucks?


garethashenden

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2339
  • Respect: +1840
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #161 on: September 07, 2026, 08:43:39 PM »
0



I've heard the MTL boxcar is wrong. It sure does look wide.

The biggest problem I am aware of with the MTL car is that they describe it as a USRA steel boxcar. Its actually an ARA design, as is the XM-1 you've just produced. The USRA design is the NYC cars that Broadway Limited produce.

But it does look wide.

Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5404
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2158
    • Modutrak
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2026, 12:33:02 PM »
0
The only minor improvement would be that the boards on either side of the door are different boards.  Like there should be a different pattern on each half of the car side, right?

That would help with the randomness look. 

Chris333

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 19615
  • Respect: +6938
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #163 on: September 08, 2026, 04:00:56 PM »
0
So I gotta print another one  :|   

What about a sign saying "Don't Look at the Other Side"  :trollface:

It would seriously take me almost 2 hours just to change boards on one side.  :-X
« Last Edit: September 08, 2026, 04:09:01 PM by Chris333 »

robert3985

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3561
  • Respect: +1935
Re: Doing stuff again.
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2026, 05:17:34 PM »
0
Now two types of T-section trucks?



Any possibility of getting some of those lovely Bettendorf T-Section Caboose trucks from ya???? Preferably without wheelsets if you're using FVM's...I've got plenty of 'em.

OR...an stl???

Seriously...

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore