Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/26/24  (Read 3386 times)

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1899
Re: Weekend Update 5/26/24
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024, 09:06:07 PM »
+28
I completed another long overdue project. St.L&SW FT's. Post rebuild.

The starting point.

Thanks,
Wolf

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3381
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2024, 09:24:22 PM »
+1
@SP-Wolf , your work is truly amazing.

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3381
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2024, 09:27:48 PM »
+14
The channel in the LIRR IS is ready to safely navigate!

Added red marine channel navigation lights to the sea walls and LIRR IS bridge for nighttime marine ops.

I’ll be adding bollards along the sea walls soon as well.

Pretty excited to start building and detailing the barges and LIRR IS tugboat soon with its nav lighting. Wonder if the barges would have lights if they are not powered…

« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 09:29:50 PM by Lemosteam »

shark_jj

• Crew
  • Respect: +368
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2024, 10:22:50 PM »
+20
I've continued to move forward on the test road section and the first picture shows its current state with some basic hardshell and soft shoulders installed.  Static grass, dirt, highway barriers, bushes are still to be done.  With the success of the test section I decided to start on the first town of Nathansville.  I got as far as getting the roads in and sanded and the center lines on the roads done.  At that point I found out I had to host our Wednesday night group as a fill in for one of the guys who couldn't, so work stopped and clean up started.  My grandsons and buddies wanted to operate.  They don't seem to realize that model railroading is serious hard work, they seem to think it's supposed to be fun. Maybe they're on to something.  More info on road construction in Nathansville in my layout thread.  https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=26250.120

Current state of the test section with soft shoulders, basic hardshell and initial coat of groundcover.

Nathansville looking north, sidewalks and additional road striping for parking still to be done.  Signage and scenic details also will be added moving forward.

Nathansville looking south

Oldest grandson Ethan just back from 1st year of University operating in Clarion Yard. 

Youngest grandson Nathan along with Colin and John running trains and having "fun". 

John

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4484
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2024, 11:02:34 PM »
+24
Pre-paint construction is complete on the EP4 bodies.  The DC pantographs will be soldered together this weekend, as the soldering iron will be out to install the decoders and Powerkeepers in the mechanisms.  The pantographs and etched screens will be painted separately before being added to the body.  The window glass milled from .015" clear styrene will be added after decals and weathering.  The headlight lens will be added after the LEDs are in place in front of the reflectors.  The first of these, to be finished in NH Exterior Green with Micro-Scale imitation gold decals, actually might be complete in two weeks.  The second one will be finished in Hunter Green paint, and later this summer I will figure out the imitation silver decals.  Classic Dulmaine scheme on the first unit, layer cake scheme on the second unit.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 11:55:43 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4794
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2024, 11:24:33 PM »
Pre-paint construction is complete on the EP4 bodies. 

WOW!

The first of these, in NH Exterior Green with imitation gold decals, actually might be complete in two weeks.  The second one will be finished up to full Hunter Green paint, and later this summer I will figure out the imitation silver decals.  Classic Dulmaine scheme on the first unit, layer cake scheme on the second unit.

If you are using Alps printer to do the decals then Elephant Rocket sells ink cartridges in several shades of gray (likely suitable for imitation silver/aluminum).

https://www.paoon.com/decal/cofjhrynp.html
. . . 42 . . .

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4484
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2024, 11:40:21 PM »
If you are using Alps printer to do the decals then Elephant Rocket sells ink cartridges in several shades of gray (likely suitable for imitation silver/aluminum).

My Alps has left this plane of existence.  I just use the laser printers for decals now, HP for the color and a Canon with the Ghost cartridge for the white.  They cover 80% of decals needed for projects.  If you're willing, I would definitely employ your services to print those decals this summer.  I can purchase the appropriate gray cartridge and have it shipped to you.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5673
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2024, 11:40:35 PM »
+15
Added something a little brassy to the fleet. 

A Key Imports P7

Also, a little Reefer Madness

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4794
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2024, 11:58:49 PM »
My Alps has left this plane of existence.  I just use the laser printers for decals now, HP for the color and a Canon with the Ghost cartridge for the white.  They cover 80% of decals needed for projects.  If you're willing, I would definitely employ your services to print those decals this summer.  I can purchase the appropriate gray cartridge and have it shipped to you.

Sure. Let's work out the details via email.
. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8778
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2024, 01:26:24 AM »
+17
Detailed and weathered D&RGW K-27 #452.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +793
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2024, 07:46:37 AM »
+37
Kitbashed "Rapids" Skytop next to Kato's "Creek" series car. Lots of precision cutting was needed to combine an Olympian Hiawatha Coach and a Creek Skytop. Not 100% accurate but pretty close.

Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1899
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2024, 08:36:19 AM »
+1
@SP-Wolf , your work is truly amazing.

Thank you, John!!
This means a lot.

Best regards,
Wolf

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1241
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2024, 10:21:54 AM »
+17
I made some refinement to my T-scale B&O station.  I added windows (clear resin with the appearance of divided lites), a second roof option that has the original-style Yankee gutters, and added overhang supports (not visible on this test model).  Speaking of test models, notice how the doors are cut off at the bottom?  I didn't notice until this morning.. :facepalm: but there's about 0.5 mm is missing because I left the "Override base" setting "ON" in Lychee Slicer.  Learning opportunity I suppose! 

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5550
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2024, 12:12:38 PM »
The crossbar on the window. How wide is that? and did you need to support it?

I do windows about .015" wide and tilt them back for printing so any sag would be at the back bottom.