Author Topic: Brick Walls  (Read 492 times)

ggbutcher

• Respect: +7
Brick Walls
« on: April 17, 2024, 06:13:18 PM »
+5
Hi, first post here, joined to add to the previous brick wall thread...

Started 3D printing to make steam locomotive parts, but I fell into brick walls helping a fellow make some for a roundhouse model.  I do my CAD with OpenSCAD, which is a script-based modeler, so it just made sense to me to write a script that puked out brick walls of various dimensions:

https://glenn.pulpitrock.net/customizable_models/brickwall/

Change the various parameters, add a file name, click Submit and you get a .stl file of a one-sided brick wall.  I haven't tested it extensively, but you should be able to import a .stl file in most any CAD program where you can add trim, cut out window holes, etc.  Or, just print it and use it like you bought a sheet of brick-patterned styrene.  Use freely, with attribution where appropriate.

There are a few other patterns and parts available; I'll add more as I model stuff.  Printing a station model right now, which compelled me to make some doors and a gable window; they'll go out on the site eventually...

Mdrzycimski

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
Re: Brick Walls
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 06:20:05 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I have yet to try it out but saved the link to experiment this weekend.
Mike

The Southview Lines
N Scale

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +352
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 04:01:25 PM »
Hmm, looks like the link imploded...

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

ggbutcher

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 06:49:58 PM »
Sorry 'bout that, updates required reboot.  It's up now...

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2024, 10:40:07 PM »
Not available for me
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

ggbutcher

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2024, 05:54:28 PM »
Cripes, ran a load test, a 60x100 wall, it ran for a long time then died, taking the web server with it.

This is dismaying, thought I could host a viable brick pattern for folk to use rather than manually building walls brick-by-brick.  The OpenSCAD code to do the work is in a github repository, so one could download the script and run it in OpenSCAD, if they felt inclined to install the software.

https://github.com/butcherg/modelingtools/blob/main/structures/brickpattern.scad

I am very sorry I set  up an unreasonable expectation.  I may put it up on Thingiverse, see if it crashes there...  :D

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2900
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2024, 08:26:55 PM »
Thanks for the effort .. I'll try to run the code on my desktop tmrw and report back .. it's probably better that way than trying to overload your server ..