Author Topic: Free-moN module pics please  (Read 928 times)

TinyTurner

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Free-moN module pics please
« on: March 13, 2024, 12:45:44 PM »
Having discovered Free-moN and perusing the standards, it looks like it's what I have been looking for.
Even if there is no one around to link with, it's definitely got appeal to work with solo, as modules can be easily taken down to work with on a bench.
I can change a module out rather than scrap an entire layout, there is no need to commit to a monolithic build.     

I have been holding off buying materials until sure of a construction method, foam is something I can actually get!
I may be able to get the end plates accurately laser cut at a benchwork service, leaving me free to 'fill the rest in'.
Perhaps you could post some shots of your modules, how they go together, how they are built and in particular the details of the end plates?

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3192
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Free-moN module pics please
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 04:03:45 PM »

vermonter_railfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 04:44:11 PM »
+1
For my Free-MoN modules I personally use 1/2" birch for everything expect the 3/4" endplates. I am also using the same 1/2 as my subroad bed and not foam. So where ever there is track there is wood then the rest is filled in by foam. I can take some photos of my modules later and post them. My latest modules were cut out on a CNC machine at the local maker space by a buddy.

The biggest thing is, you need to follow the standards period. There have been too many individuals lately who want to build modules but don't want to follow the standard 100%. Biggest thing is 3/4 inch end plates and atlas or ME code 55 track, otherwise it's a very enjoyable standard.
Arizona & California RR and Vermont Railway in Free-moN
http://free-mon.net/

TinyTurner

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 12:37:15 PM »
I am surprised to hear that there are CNC cutting services, even appear to be ones that mail the parts to avoid necessitating ordering a whole sheet.

The only thing I would think of changing is the Anderson connectors to XLR or aviation type to build a male-male patch lead, with sockets on the module.  I can see why is Anderson are used though but the costs are higher. 

I would be happy if you could find the time to post some images.  I am very visual, and picture paints a thousand words or something :D

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +129
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 02:33:07 PM »
Tiny Turner;
Have you tried looking yourself? Try Googling the term, then switch to images. Hundreds out there for you to peruse, which might be exactly what you are seeking, and certainly faster than waiting on someone else.

Kind regards,
Bill

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1421
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 03:50:31 PM »
+1
You can see my approach in my layout thread.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=48816.0

I don’t have room to build the big one in our home, so I came to Freemo as a way to have a large temporary layout in the garage that is detailed to a high level and can be shown off publicly from time to time. While the standard isn’t designed for loops, I wanted the option. So I have 4 corner pieces that don’t comply to the standard (the end plates are only 10” wide) that allow me to connect my other modules in a roundy-round. I think if I brought one of my corner modules to a meet, I’d probably be ok because they comply with the standard in every other way except for the minimum width. Maybe I’ll try my luck someday!

TinyTurner

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 03:09:57 PM »
Yes! Now that is the stuff.
It is a relief to find that it exists and is possible.
Sometimes I get stuck to know what I am asking for without a discussion, yet have it in mind.

It looks like 3/4'' and 1/2'' ply as suggested?
If you don't mind my asking, no additional cross braces were used on the modules?

vermonter_railfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2024, 02:57:11 PM »
As promised here are a few photos of modules I've built during the build process.

Until recently I use using 1/2" birch for everything including the cross braces and subroadbed the only exception are the end plates (3/4" birch). I used a table saw and cut everything out then I could add foam where there was no wood or track.

My most recent module set that's still a work in progress (Wickenburg Canyon along the BNSF Phoenix Subdivision) was cut using a CNC machine at my local maker space with the help of a good friend. The foam was even cut on the CNC machine, which really helped with the curve. The only difference with these modules are the curved modules were using a 5mm plywood to allow the bend of the module on the curves. Otherwise everything is 1/2" birch and 3/4" endplates.

Arizona & California RR and Vermont Railway in Free-moN
http://free-mon.net/

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 01:41:58 AM »
+5
Here are some of my photos and videos of Free-moN modules and shows I've been a part of for the last 12 years:
https://www.facebook.com/SacramentoFreeMoN
https://www.youtube.com/@rmwilkerson/videos

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]