Author Topic: 20 Years of Modutrak  (Read 1035 times)

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1243
    • Modutrak
Re: 20 Years of Modutrak
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2024, 07:36:30 PM »
Like I needed another project.

Email me if you're serious. I did the NTRAK Steam Annuals and a handful of Conrail Quarterlies, so I know my way around Adobe Indesign. I also really like seeing my handiwork in print: it's a nice change of pace from the web where things are here today and gone tomorrow.

Sorry, Ed.  I ended up radio silent trying to get a dozen new modules wired for last weekend's show.  I didn't mean to leave you hanging on the generous offer. 

I'm going to take some time to dust off some build manual verbiage, and figure out what diagrams we need.  The text, photos, and layout shouldn't be too onerous.  It's really the technical illustrations that will be the hold up.  Most of the stuff on the public forum for build manual is Powerpoint diagrams.  LOL. 

Anyway, I like the self published book idea. 

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2024, 07:41:49 PM »
Nice to hear that the group is still active.  What happened to the model160.com website, though?  IIRC, it had some nice information in it, including images of all commercially available N-scale trucks. 

MH

The truck database that was started by Daniel Leavitt, published on M:160, continues on the spookshow site with many updates.

M:160 went down a couple years back and Jamie hasn't resurrected it.  Completely separate from Modutrak though. 

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2024, 07:47:30 PM »
Every time I see pictures of you guys it makes me wish there was a way to do something similar near me (or that I was closer!). But to pull it off, this takes a concentration of modelers with prototype knowledge, quality construction and scenery skills, plus agreement on what general area to model.  There frankly isn't enough people like that near me to be able to do that.

And I suppose it helps that mainlines in Modutrak territory were double tracked.  Would the general public be as interested in a Southeastern prototypically single tracked layout, where you only occasionally saw a moving train? I would, but I predict I'm in the minority.

We kinda thought the same thing starting out... maybe we build a couple modules with friends.  This past weekend we had 53 modules and 16 scale miles of mainline.

The internet really opened up a wider net for us.  We're from Chicago, Milwaukee, Racine, Madison, Twin Cities, even Washington State.  Our forum keeps us connected between shows, and with the wide geographic area, really allowed those that "get it" to find us.   At the end of the day, we're friends not club members, and equally enjoy watching a hockey game or eating good food together.  And the Better Modeling Through Peer Pressure... keeps folks trying new things. 

So yes, if you want to see something come together, start building it.  Folks will get inspired and want to be part of it most likely. 

Sokramiketes

• Crew
    • Modutrak
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2024, 07:49:43 PM »
+3
And you guys need to see Keith Kohlmann's outdoor shots of the modules:

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3377
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2024, 09:56:01 PM »
+5
Here are two photos of the layout set up this past weekend in Rockford, IL that Mike referenced in his previous post........it was big to say the least.......took about 30 minutes to make one lap as you traveled on both mainlines because of the end loops.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com