Author Topic: About paying for making 3D model  (Read 524 times)

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
About paying for making 3D model
« on: February 22, 2024, 06:08:33 PM »
I'd like prototypical NH streamline cars in N, but all that's available are Rapido's coaches. I'm wondering if I could hire somebody to print out partial sides of other NH cars with 3D printing, and I can switch out the sides on stock Rapido coaches with them. Not looking for a whole new shell, or interiors, just a change of sides. In fact the replacement part could be just the area above the belt line, meaning the windows and the fluted area above them. In that case, a filler panel would be needed at one end of the side to cover where the one boarding door would be removed. The car to be modified has only one door and the window sections on a side cut away, with the new replacement window section and filler panel fitted in the space. Most of the car side would then be stock, making the modified car less conspicuous in among the factory models.
Obviously plans would be needed, but I've a NH book that has shop drawings of all the 8600 series cars. This would be a very flat project, with the only raised details the fluting above the windows and below the belt line on the door replacement section, so I assume it's not a complicated production.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2897
Re: About paying for making 3D model
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 07:15:36 PM »
You would be better off looking for etched car sides. 

bigdawgks

• Crew
  • Respect: +174
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 09:05:17 PM »
Union Station offers laser cut styrene sides for pretty much all of the NH stainless steel cars:
https://unionstationproducts.com/new-york-new-haven-amp-hartford/

I haven't tried them before but there are some photos of completed cars with some of their sides and they look pretty decent.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +287
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 02:31:40 PM »
Using etched car or plastic add-the-fluting sides is probable the fluting on both will not match the size/width of the fluting on the Rapido cars. (I've used the US sides before).
Since there's no takers on this offer, I'll look into cutting out the entire window bands on a Rapido car  and replace it with ones I'll make by cutting out the correct window size and spacing. Need to come up with a suitable replacement patch for one set of end doors, tho.
Or is there some place that does custom 3D printing for a price?
I hope this doesn't mean once I build a few of these Rapido decides to actually produce the parlor cars in N.

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 10:41:48 PM »
Union Station offers laser cut styrene sides for pretty much all of the NH stainless steel cars:
https://unionstationproducts.com/new-york-new-haven-amp-hartford/

I haven't tried them before but there are some photos of completed cars with some of their sides and they look pretty decent.

Wow. Had completely forgotten about Union Station. This will come in handy.

Thanks for the link!  :)

Jim