Author Topic: HO Scale Grit n' Grime Weathered Series from Micro-Trains Line Co.  (Read 2354 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4882
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: HO Scale Grit n' Grime Weathered Series from Micro-Trains Line Co.
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2024, 03:55:23 PM »
As I see it, they must have either got better (higher resolution) printers or installed a higher resolution printhead.  And the inks themselves seem much thinner than their original direct-applied printing.

Remember their early attempts?  The ink was very thick, and the raster lines were quite apparent.  All the small lettering was TAMPO printed (the printer did not have high enough resolution to clearly print small text.  Nowadays except for the smallest size lettering being still Tampo printed, most other lettering is ink-jet printed.

We had a discussion going about the new way of MTL decorating cars, back over 10 years ago: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=28938
. . . 42 . . .

signalmaintainer

• Crew
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2024, 04:37:53 PM »
+2
Obviously I cannot go into specifics, but let's just say that we're doing things with the machines that the manufacturer never thought possible.

We here at the Railwire take a solemn oath to not contact the Department of the Treasury.  ;)

I really like my pre-weathered MT boxcars:

« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 04:47:51 PM by signalmaintainer »
NSMR #1975, RMR #4

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +568
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2024, 04:44:56 PM »
Obviously I cannot go into specifics, but let's just say that we're doing things with the machines that the manufacturer never thought possible.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1126
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2024, 04:51:07 PM »
+8
I know I am late to this thread, but I really like what you guys are doing here. Good news for the HO folks who will get a sip of the weathering magic from MTL and a new way to generate cash flow from a larger market. Looking forward to some new weathered N Scale models. Keep em coming guys.

its important to remember this venture is not set up as an either or... These releases will be in addition to our regular, normal production.  It doesn't affect our production in a negative way.  We are catching up, we make good on our monthly pre-orders as promised.  Just want to spread the love around a bit.

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1126
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2024, 04:59:04 PM »
+2
We here at the Railwire take a solemn oath to not contact the Department of the Treasury.  ;)

I really like my pre-weathered MT boxcars:

and they really, really like you  ;) 

Thanks

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1176
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2024, 05:40:30 PM »
The MTL weathered cars have become exceptional.  I'm sure this new product line will sell like hotcakes.  The recent CP 60' boxcar is amazing, a dead ringer for the prototypes.  It makes everything else look rather plain.

I spent a little time trying to figure out the type of printer they use for this.  There are printers for uneven surfaces (curved, etc.) but nothing that would work on such fine and sharp irregularities.  If I could buy one, I would in a heartbeat- it beats decaling hands down.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2024, 06:18:22 PM »
+2
I spent a little time trying to figure out the type of printer they use for this.  There are printers for uneven surfaces (curved, etc.) but nothing that would work on such fine and sharp irregularities.  If I could buy one, I would in a heartbeat- it beats decaling hands down.

From what I understand, those are large industrial "flatbed" type of ink-jet printers using probably UV-cured inks.  MTL probably created a fixture to hold many cars and they print them all at the same time.  These industrial printers (and their supplies) are usually way too expensive for a modeler to own one.

As for printing over fine details, the head does not travel that close to the car's surface. The jets basically "spits" the ink onto the car's surface.  If you examine one of the graffiti cars closely the ink is not deposited on the vertical surfaces.

This is a good example - look at the tops of the ladder rungs -  the brown base paint shows through. This is one of the early MTL ink-jet decorated cars, but even the latest ones show similar results (minimal  ink applied to surfaces perpendicular to the print head's travel).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 08:58:42 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

CRR Chase

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2024, 07:44:00 AM »
+1
There is no better in the industry at pre-weathered rolling stock. It is absolutely beautiful

To the artist department, I would love to see some road worn in service, basic stuff from the '70's in N: 40-50' Boxcars, Coal hoppers, tanks, cabeese etc. and if possible maybe... decal sheets of these wethered beauties... I dont know... I want it all LOL..

Thank You MTL for your beautiful addition to the industry. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 07:47:38 AM by CRR Chase »

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +85

CRR Chase

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2024, 03:01:17 PM »
There is no better in the industry at pre-weathered rolling stock. It is absolutely beautiful

To the artist department, I would love to see some road worn in service, basic stuff from the '70's in N: 40-50' Boxcars, Coal hoppers, tanks, cabeese etc. and if possible maybe... decal sheets of these wethered beauties... I dont know... I want it all LOL..

Thank You MTL for your beautiful addition to the industry.

OR ICE BREAKERS FOR THE CRR!!! BOOM... Right on time! Thanks again!!

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2024, 03:24:37 PM »
OR ICE BREAKERS FOR THE CRR!!! BOOM... Right on time! Thanks again!!

Ice breakers on model trains? I thought those were one-liners one used in a bar when trying to pick up a chick.  :?  :D
. . . 42 . . .