Author Topic: Mystery Stock Car HOn3 or Standard Gauge?  (Read 826 times)

dcarrell8

• Crew
  • Respect: +207
    • Otter Creek & Rio Grande
Re: Mystery Stock Car HOn3 or Standard Gauge?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2024, 10:25:24 PM »
From another Forum...

SP stock car #182 was built by the Nevada-California-Oregon in its Reno shop with an in-service date of July 1, 1919. Used parts from flat car #55 which had a built date of July, 1909. The N-C-O constructed stock cars using parts from dismantled or wrecked flat cars.
sold to Southern Pacific and numbered 552 in 1930
renumbered as part of a general renumbering of ng cars (1946-47) to SP 182 on 12-7-46.

The other car is probably a rebuilt by adding the superstructure of a stock car to a flat car. Without a number the exact history cannot be traced. But the sidesill has the shape of the flat cars built for the Carson & Colorado that were converted to stock cars in the mid-19-teens.

The ex-N-C-O stock cars were/are noticeably larger than many other SPng stock cars.

Brian Norden

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

dcarrell8

• Crew
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2024, 10:27:59 PM »
Did it look like this:
https://www.printables.com/model/528946-hon30-bellevue-and-cascade-stockcar

If so I think Puffing Billy made them in HOn3 a while back.

I think that's pretty close as far as construction goes.  It's so hard to say, without comparing it to something of a "known" size.  It's the overall dimensions that I'm trying confirm.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5518
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2024, 11:40:30 PM »

Buck.H

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2024, 01:00:50 AM »
@dcarrell8 what are it’s dimensions?

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5518
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2024, 06:09:51 AM »
This looks like the Puffing Billy stockcar right here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/275940223386

dcarrell8

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2024, 10:31:34 AM »
The dimensions of the box are roughly 35' X 8 x 8.

Pacific Traction sold ready to run wood HOn3 SPNG cars in the 1970s.  So I'm guessing that is what these are.  If true, they have been very well taken care of.  The roof is made of wood, while I think the rest is plastic.  I'm sure it's not printed.  All of the grabs and stirrups are separate details and undamaged.  Even the break wheels are good. 

Apparently the SP got these cars from the NCO.  If I understand correctly the NCO built them out of damaged cars so there was lots of variety in their construction.  They Were bigger than a D&RGW Stock.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 10:34:31 AM by dcarrell8 »

dcarrell8

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2024, 10:56:41 AM »
The dimensions of the box are roughly 35' X 8 x 8.

Pacific Traction sold ready to run wood HOn3 SPNG cars in the 1970s.  So I'm guessing that is what these are.  If true, they have been very well taken care of.  The roof is made of wood, while I think the rest is plastic.  I'm sure it's not printed.  All of the grabs and stirrups are separate details and undamaged.  Even the break wheels are good. 

Apparently the SP got these cars from the NCO.  If I understand correctly the NCO built them out of damaged cars so there was lots of variety in their construction.  They Were bigger than a D&RGW Stock.

(Attachment Link)

A closer inspection reveals they wooden models. Nicely done.  Modern printed trucks... poorly done.

Buck.H

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2024, 08:32:47 PM »
@dcarrell8 Icross referenced D&RGW stock car and SPNG drawings In Carstens Publications ‘Slim Gauge Cars’ and the ex N-C-O car is almost a foot taller than the Grande car. In the Bader Book the car bodies on the N-C-O cars are shown to be accurate to the dimensions you described and most were 30’ or 31’6” long but #184 was 38’4” long and #151was 35’4”long. In pictures the N-C-O car look about a foot taller than the SPC and C&C flatcars that SP built stock car bodies onto.

dcarrell8

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2024, 08:39:42 PM »
+1
@dcarrell8 Icross referenced D&RGW stock car and SPNG drawings In Carstens Publications ‘Slim Gauge Cars’ and the ex N-C-O car is almost a foot taller than the Grande car. In the Bader Book the car bodies on the N-C-O cars are shown to be accurate to the dimensions you described and most were 30’ or 31’6” long but #184 was 38’4” long and #151was 35’4”long. In pictures the N-C-O car look about a foot taller than the SPC and C&C flatcars that SP built stock car bodies onto.

Yes sir, it was a very good collective effort and I'm confident we have figured out what the are/were.    I've got some Kadee 721's ordered that I hope will work on them.  I plan on running them as a kernel, I may eventually re-number and re-name them. 

Thanks Buck!