Author Topic: Super fine mister?  (Read 1540 times)

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
Super fine mister?
« on: November 29, 2023, 11:03:59 AM »
So does anyone have a lead on a good spray bottle that is reliable and not going to shoot out random blobs of liquid?  I am looking for use as both an alcohol mister and a glue/water sprayer.  I've tried ebay, and amazon and the ones I have gotten all seem to end up spitting out random gobs (both when using alcohol or glue mix) creating bare spots in the ground covers I am trying to use wherever it drops. It is becoming frustrating!

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: Super fine mister?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 11:28:25 AM »
Garden shop. Leaf misters are good for alcohol or water. For glue mix I’ve been using artists’ misters from Dick Blick. Haven’t had a problem yet.

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 02:45:54 PM »
Believe it or not, Walmart!  Go to the pharmacy section and look for the travel section.  They have mister bottles there for $1 each (last time I bought a few before the pandemic).  They come in various translucent colors.

If none, try the makeup section.  Get the plane Jane straight bottle with a pump button on top.  They have the fancier ones with the trigger handle like a gun.  Don't know how those work.

I loaded mine with rubbing alcohol and I've never seen such a finer spray before from a mister/spray bottle.  And if you don't like it, you lose $1.  :)  If you put more viscous liquids in like glue/water mixture I'm not sure how it would perform.  But for stuff that has the viscosity of water, it works great.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3124
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 02:49:22 PM »
Best spray bottle I've had is from Deluxe Materials, it comes in their Ballast Magic kit.  It use to be available separately but I don't see it listed that way anymore.

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2023, 05:29:53 PM »
Best spray bottle I've had is from Deluxe Materials, it comes in their Ballast Magic kit.  It use to be available separately but I don't see it listed that way anymore.

YD has them.  https://yankeedabbler.com/deluxe-materials-ac23-ballast-spray-bottle-scale-all-part-806-ac23/

I picked a couple up along with the a ballasting kit since I want to try the ballast magic.

I am going to have to search around for a mister that I think I had from my snake keeping days after the reminder of the plant mister.  Those misters were super fine.  I just can't remember where I put it if I still have it.  Maybe I'll see about picking one up at the pet store next dog food run if I can't locate it.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 05:32:57 PM »
I've found that re-purposed pump action hairspray bottles work well.
You can find similar ones now at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 05:36:39 PM »
Believe it or not, Walmart!  Go to the pharmacy section and look for the travel section.  They have mister bottles there for $1 each (last time I bought a few before the pandemic).  They come in various translucent colors.

If none, try the makeup section.  Get the plane Jane straight bottle with a pump button on top.  They have the fancier ones with the trigger handle like a gun.  Don't know how those work.

I loaded mine with rubbing alcohol and I've never seen such a finer spray before from a mister/spray bottle.  And if you don't like it, you lose $1.  :)  If you put more viscous liquids in like glue/water mixture I'm not sure how it would perform.  But for stuff that has the viscosity of water, it works great.

I got some bottles that looked like exact replica of what walmart had on the shelf that were junk.  They leaked like a sieve and the dribbled liquid when the button was pushed.  I didn't see any of the plain old spray bottles there that held anything more than an ounce.  The only bottle my local carried were like these I got from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088FF8PQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2023, 07:03:35 PM »
I got some bottles that looked like exact replica of what walmart had on the shelf that were junk.  They leaked like a sieve and the dribbled liquid when the button was pushed.  I didn't see any of the plain old spray bottles there that held anything more than an ounce.  The only bottle my local carried were like these I got from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088FF8PQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe your store doesn't carry it?  The ones I got hold 3-4 oz from my estimate.  I just tried them after sitting unused for over 1-2 years.  Still works great.  Super fine mist and I'm surprised the rubbing alcohol hasn't evaporated by now (hard to see in the picture but it's there).

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 07:07:01 PM by MK »

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2023, 07:57:59 PM »
Took me a moment to realize that the topic is talking about spray bottles....  :?  :ashat:

Ed

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5519
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2023, 08:04:38 PM »
+2
A super fine mister deserves a super fine missus.

:tommann:

Whenever I spray a water/glue mix I unscrew the top and spray hot water though it so the glue doesn't gum up.

Mdrzycimski

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2023, 08:22:50 PM »
I've found that re-purposed pump action hairspray bottles work well.
You can find similar ones now at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

+1 on used hair spray bottles.  They produce super fine spray and are quite reliable (at least in my experience).
Mike

The Southview Lines
N Scale

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1261
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2023, 09:08:17 PM »
I use the brown translucent spray bottles you get at your LHS at the CA display with Accelerator in them.  I think you can purchase the bottles without any Accelerator in them...not so sure about that.

These produce a very fine mist when using wet water in them and I assume they'd work just as well with IPA.  I don't know how well they would work squirting a glue/water mix however.

I'd recommend flooding your ballast/scenery with your ballast/scenery cement mixture (after wetting it thoroughly with your fine misting sprayer) using a big dose dropper.  I think that would ensure you get your loose ground cover/ballast completely soaked so you don't have loose material under a thin crust.

You might try Googling "atomizer" to see what you come up with for bigger fine squirters.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2023, 09:32:43 PM »
+1
With those little sprayers you guys must have really well developed index finger muscles for marathon spraying sessions.  To me trigger-type sprayers are much easier on your hand.
. . . 42 . . .

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1816
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2023, 09:50:33 PM »
For glue mix I’ve been using artists’ misters from Dick Blick. Haven’t had a problem yet.

Link?

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2023, 09:51:32 PM »
With those little sprayers you guys must have really well developed index finger muscles for marathon spraying sessions.  To me trigger-type sprayers are much easier on your hand.

And that is a big problem for me. I have been able to find 2 ounce and smaller stay bottles that have great mist for water and alcohol but when your doing 5-10 foot of module in a sitting things start to leak, your finger starts to hurt and you have to refill multiple times. However I have tried a couple of that large size sprayers like you mentioned but while they have a decent mist it isn’t consistent and I was getting large droplets coming off the nozzle. No way they could spray glue mix either. While cruising the dick blick site I found a handled sprayer that says it can be used for adhesive so I might take a chance on that.