Author Topic: Favorite source for pre-wired LEDs? Connectors?  (Read 1008 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Favorite source for pre-wired LEDs? Connectors?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2023, 03:16:39 PM »
Not sure how I would paint the back and sides of the ditchlight housings while avoiding painting the lens, or more importantly how I would undo that error if I failed to avoid it.   The electrical tape is working pretty good and will be combined with paint on the outside. 

The 201 is really small to try to get a mask on only the front of it. 

But thanks for the ideas.

Dip an end of toothpick in small puddle of Elmer's glue and touch it to the face of the 0201 LED. Let it dry. Dip the whole thing in paint.  Repeat few times (until no light shines through the paint). Install in the ditch light housing. Easy-peasy.

As far as the installation goes, I would just put some 5-minute epoxy in the hollow housing then slide the LED in. When the glue hardens the LED will be firmly affixed.
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2023, 05:22:35 PM »
I stumbled upon this  just now...
Are you still hunting for connectors?  Have you looked at the  JST SH type?  The pin pitch is 1.0mm.  It still might be
a little big for this, but they are everywhere and are cheap.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2023, 08:51:24 PM »
I stumbled upon this  just now...
Are you still hunting for connectors?  Have you looked at the  JST SH type?  The pin pitch is 1.0mm.  It still might be
a little big for this, but they are everywhere and are cheap.

Thanks for that.  I was having a lot of trouble filtering out the noise among different JST search results.

If I buy these unwired, how easy is it to connect the magnet wire on the LEDs to the female connector?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 09:00:00 PM by jagged ben »

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +127
    • IG
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2023, 08:53:38 PM »
That's a great option for micro connectors. here I was going to try and find a bunch of NEM 6 pin male and female connectors but for the life of me could not remember the actual name for them. :facepalm:
not having tiny connectors has stopped so many DCC installs because I hate leaving shells super close while working on the mechs. That and trying to stuff miles of tiny wires back in and hoping they don't get pinched.
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2023, 02:09:47 PM »
Bumping this...

Let's say I order this:
https://www.amazon.com/daier-Micro-4-Pin-Connector-Female/dp/B01DUC1M2O

Does anyone know if I can solder LED magnet wires to those female connectors, or if I need a crimp tool, or what?
Figure 3 magnet wires to one terminal for the blue wire, and then separate

Or, actualy maybe I use the 30awg-ish wire  and put the resistors on the male side.  Still same question, do I need a crimp tool?

If you know...

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +127
    • IG
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2023, 07:33:23 PM »
Bumping this...

Let's say I order this:
https://www.amazon.com/daier-Micro-4-Pin-Connector-Female/dp/B01DUC1M2O

I think these are the ones I have tried in the past for diesels and they are a tad too big. Granted, I did not have any speakers mounted in the fuel tanks so I ran into issues there.
as far as soldering onto the leads you can, but you have to be quick. they can get hot enough to move the pins out of alignment.
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two