Author Topic: Weekend Update 628 10/1/23  (Read 4187 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sokramiketes

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5401
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +2157
    • Modutrak
Re: Weekend Update 628 10/1/23
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2023, 11:14:13 AM »
0
Worked on some of my ATSF head-end cars. We have here a fishbelly baggage and a horse express cars.
Working on the easiest floor mounting solutions on these. The horse express floor slides in from the end with the doors. The fishbelly baggage clips in from the bottom. Contact me if you're interested in any of these.

Disregard the cracked out spots, i wasnt exactly delicate when i was testing. the fit. ill post better pictures this week.

Drasko (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

@draskouasshat  I'M DROOLING.  Fantastic, and I'll send you a message.

Lemosteam

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 6415
  • Gender: Male
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +4859
Re: Weekend Update 628 10/1/23
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2023, 11:22:56 AM »
0
The model looks good ... one tip -- I've had a lot of trouble with warping on thin roof resin printed parts .. I generally try to do styrene now where possible.

@John , Since I am not modeling an interior, the walls and roof are about 1.5mm thick.  I have been printing the buildings inverted so all of the supports contact the roof surfaces to avoid trapping resin or producing large FEP suction layers and resin push (from the build plate, which tends to sway supports and thin sections as it presses into the resin, contributing to warp, IMHO). After cure, I just place the flat plane on the my horizontal belt sander until all of the support puddling is flat and smooth.  Then I add my roofing material.

If I do have any window or door openings, I fill them with 0.5mm thick wafer, kind of like a resin casting, with intersecting radii on the wafer's perimeter so its easy to trim away prior to cure.

I will be designing a PRR tower soon so I will be attempting this on a hip roof and horizontal lap siding, but I think it will work great. As you can see the scale battens covering the 4 x 8 sheets have a nice reveal (this is based on the prototype) structures.

One thing I was happily surprised with was the 2x8 (0.32mm X 1.27mm) angled cross beams on the conveyor post and beam design.  They came out of the printer really bowed and warped, but they shrunk perfectly taut and were surprisingly strong.

I am growing more confident with supports and printing of late.  I was almost to the point of selling my printer.
John "Lemosteam" LeMerise

John

  • Administrator
  • Crew
  • *****
  • Posts: 14004
  • Respect: +4179
Re: Weekend Update 628 10/1/23
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2023, 12:37:13 PM »
+1
Sometimes its a lot of frustration .. One thing that works for me - those kinds of parts, I cure in a jar of water (in the sun if possible) and it helps .. also I don't use ABS like resin for things I don't want to warp

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3569
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3967
Re: Weekend Update 628 10/1/23
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2023, 05:01:44 PM »
+16



ATSF_Ron

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 473
  • Respect: +291
Re: Weekend Update 628 10/1/23
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2023, 05:59:58 PM »
0
Great scene, Chuck!  Everything just looks "right."  Track, ballast, road, color choices.  Nice work!

chuck geiger

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3569
  • Gender: Male
  • Train Talk Media
  • Respect: +3967
Re: Weekend Update 628 10/1/23
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2023, 07:56:06 PM »
0
Thanks, Ron, even with wet sand...lol :)

Mike Madonna

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 486
  • Respect: +150
Re: Weekend Update 628 10/1/23
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2023, 08:50:28 PM »
0
Worked on some of my ATSF head-end cars. We have here a fishbelly baggage and a horse express cars.
Working on the easiest floor mounting solutions on these. The horse express floor slides in from the end with the doors. The fishbelly baggage clips in from the bottom. Contact me if you're interested in any of these.

Disregard the cracked out spots, i wasnt exactly delicate when i was testing. the fit. ill post better pictures this week.

Drasko (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Adam.

Looks VERY promising! Nice work...
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

bbussey

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 9384
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +6187
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Weekend Update 628 10/1/23
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2023, 01:12:22 AM »
+12
Continued work on the Shaw's Cove artifacts.


Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net
Bridgeport & New London in N scale


craigolio1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2738
  • Respect: +2388
Re: Weekend Update 628 10/1/23
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2023, 10:51:53 AM »
0
I’m close to wrapping up a local SW1200. Still need to swap trucks and weather it
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

That’s a great looking model!!

Craig

basementcalling

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 3922
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +1056
Re: Weekend Update 628 10/1/23
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2023, 11:39:40 AM »
+1


Chuck, that is one of the best model railroad photos I think I have ever seen. Perfect focus, beautiful scenery, excellent details, and terrific composition.
Peter Pfotenhauer