Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/24/23  (Read 4208 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

garethashenden

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2333
  • Respect: +1825
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2023, 08:12:09 AM »
0
I recognize the unpainted combine in the background of your photos. I also see a not really proto ‘stand in’ for a CP van in the same photo - I can help with that if you’re intersted….

Are your kits available directly? I've been waiting for Central Hobbies new iteration to order a Dominion boxcar, but if I can get it directly from you that might be easier.

craigolio1

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2738
  • Respect: +2388
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2023, 08:12:40 AM »
0
After an intense series of ops sessions leading up to an ops meet, it was time to take a break from trains--but not for long!

My first offering this week belongs in the "what I bought" category as opposed to "what I built".  My long-awaited Atlas S4 finally arrived this week, and it did not disappoint.  Atlas has really upped their game in recent years in terms of detail (look at those handrails--this is out of the box), and the ESU LokSound V5 decoder on this model--well, it fills the train room with wholesome Alco goodness.  The unit will be assigned to the Victoria yard, where my friend Tim's RS18 PGE 607 has been doing yeoman service for some time.  Here we see the two units side by side, before 607 heads back to the Peace River country.


I picked up a brand new NWSL True Sander for a ridiculously low price at a hobby shop last month, which meant I had no excuse to keep putting off a long-delayed project--building a fleet of 40-ft flats for my Nitinat Logger.  The starting point is a batch of ConCor 50-ft flats acquired from Tim some time ago. Gotta love those retro Rapido couplers!


After removing the underframe, I cut the deck in two places . . .


 . . . before cleaning up the edges and putting the two end pieces back together.


Got four of them done this afternoon!


Awesome!!  I’m excited to see your Nitinat logger come together.

Craig

Dayliner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 48
  • Respect: +249
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2023, 10:09:10 AM »
0
I recognize the unpainted combine in the background of your photos. I also see a not really proto ‘stand in’ for a CP van in the same photo - I can help with that if you’re intersted….

Yes, the caboose stands out like a sore thumb, doesn't it?  I really should have removed it before taking the picture.

I've already ordered three of your kits through Tim.  They look great and I'm looking forward to putting them together.


Dayliner

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 48
  • Respect: +249
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2023, 10:11:04 AM »
0
Awesome!!  I’m excited to see your Nitinat logger come together.

Craig

Thanks, Craig.  If this year was all about upgrading the layout, next year is going to be about upgrading the car fleet.

Tjack757

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 56
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +98
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2023, 03:04:03 PM »
+11
Warning bridge is not perfect scale.

This week I built a 3 foot long bridge to support three tracks. It will replace the current setup made out of 1x4s.
It was built for fit, form, function and to survive 2 Grandsons, a German Shepherd and Catzilla.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Wonder is the seed of knowledge” – Sir Francis Bacon

rodsup9000

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1130
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +825
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2023, 04:12:40 PM »
+13
More fascia has went up and painted. Control panels installed.









Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

garethashenden

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 2333
  • Respect: +1825
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2023, 05:00:48 PM »
+16
I made a bunch of benchwork! More details in the Ashuelot Branch thread.


wm3798

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 16561
  • Gender: Male
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +7450
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2023, 07:08:11 PM »
+1
I made a bunch of benchwork! More details in the Ashuelot Branch thread.



Don't tell me... you have a Sears House!
I've done so many remodel designs for those things... I feel like I've been in that room a hundred times!

So... are you going to light block the windows?  or just let the Sun Shine In?
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

samusi01

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 754
  • Respect: +980
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2023, 04:00:03 PM »
+23
Amongst everything else, I finally got around to completing the 3d files and successfully printing the 100,000 gallon water towers at Wheeler and Bruce, both in Washington on the NP's 8th Sub. These were mostly NP standard plan but with an extra layer of supports, making them about 6' taller than the standard plan. I've not bothered to research why this was done. The support structure is beefed up and unprototypically thick to make it printable. Next month I'll have the time to apply a coat of Tamiya Buff and try printing the capacity indicators to see if that's a viable way to handle them.

The MRL ACe is simply for scale.




edited: speeling...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 07:19:22 PM by samusi01 »

joepri

  • Posts: 18
  • Respect: 0
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2023, 04:04:56 PM »
0
Your water tanks look good.  I'm very impressed with the CAD model work on the HEMTTs.  I will be printing some of them soon.

Cajonpassfan

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 5398
  • Respect: +1973
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2023, 07:38:01 PM »
+9
Those spindly legs look amazing @samusi01 !
I did more work on my friend's narrow gauge line "high line" bridges.
More on my Little Bit of Colorado narrow gauge thread.
Otto K.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 08:47:57 PM by Cajonpassfan »

NtheBasement

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 396
  • Respect: +489
    • Moving coal in N scale
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2023, 06:37:06 AM »
0
Your CAD skills are impressive!
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/UUk0kOaZliY

dougnelson

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1341
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +2414
    • PRR N Scale
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2023, 07:55:33 PM »
+20
Progress on Palmer Union Station.  More detail here:
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=56332.30



jpwisc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1321
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +3924
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2023, 09:18:13 PM »
+28
I finished up my MK2 tamper
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

jpwisc

  • Crew
  • *
  • Posts: 1321
  • Gender: Male
  • Respect: +3924
    • Skally Line Blog
Re: Weekend Update 9/24/23
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2023, 10:00:29 PM »
+12
And now my TR-10 tie exchanger is done
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.