Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/3/23  (Read 4683 times)

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1697
Re: Weekend Update 9/3/23
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2023, 12:37:12 PM »
+1
Almost finished my ballast regulator
(Attachment Link)

Wow that’s outstanding!!  Do you have more pics of the build? Or perhaps a build thread?

Craig

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2023, 02:45:10 PM »
+12
Wow that’s outstanding!!  Do you have more pics of the build? Or perhaps a build thread?

Craig

I didn’t do a full build write up on it, here’s a pic in primer.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

spr1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2023, 07:30:17 PM »
+5
Not much to see but shows topography of the area.  Each layer of foam is 1/2".  Scene wil have bedrock, shoreline, slope, water, sandbar, and ground slump/fodder hillside slump. Combination bridge between left and right sides. See previous post for reference.

Dave P

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2023, 07:46:28 PM »
Not much to see but shows topography of the area.  Each layer of foam is 1/2".  Scene wil have bedrock, shoreline, slope, water, sandbar, and ground slump/fodder hillside slump. Combination bridge between left and right sides. See previous post for reference.

David;
Not to be a pain, but what previous post - in this thread or? Maybe I missed it in this thread... It might be helpful to give us a link back to that post so we could better appreciate your work and help, at least me, to understand what you are doing.
Kind regards,
Bill

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2023, 07:48:30 PM »
+4
Good afternoon,

Finished my St.LSW Z-15 class F7's

Thanks,
Wolf

Wolf,
Well done! They look great!
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2023, 09:44:53 PM »
+9

Craig

And some early mock up pics. The kit is mostly stock (Showcase Miniatures) I swapped some 28” metal wheels under it, swapped the hood sides for mesh, and made some cab glass.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 09:47:34 PM by jpwisc »
Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

SP-Wolf

• Crew
  • Respect: +1899
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2023, 08:03:06 AM »
Wolf,
Well done! They look great!

Thank you, Mike!!

Best regards,
Wolf

spr1955

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2023, 02:42:19 PM »
+2
David;
Not to be a pain, but what previous post - in this thread or? Maybe I missed it in this thread... It might be helpful to give us a link back to that post so we could better appreciate your work and help, at least me, to understand what you are doing.
Kind regards,
Bill

Here is the original post.
So I have this bridge and it's a problem as I have to merge the two scenes into one.  So some current status photos.

This is the scene from the North.

The idea is to create a view block but not, thru the bridge scene to the coke plant in the rear just enough to show it's there.....

I have some ideas to pull this off but I welcome any thoughts.

Dave P

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1697
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2023, 02:11:33 AM »
And some early mock up pics. The kit is mostly stock (Showcase Miniatures) I swapped some 28” metal wheels under it, swapped the hood sides for mesh, and made some cab glass.
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Thank you for posting the additional pics. Great model.

Craig

Bill H

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2023, 08:39:17 AM »
Here is the original post.
So I have this bridge and it's a problem as I have to merge the two scenes into one.  So some current status photos.

This is the scene from the North.

The idea is to create a view block but not, thru the bridge scene to the coke plant in the rear just enough to show it's there.....

I have some ideas to pull this off but I welcome any thoughts.

David;
The steel plant on the right, and the flood loader on the left reflect a very industrialized view. Immediately in front is a river bridge scene. I am assuming you want the river bridge scene to present more dominantly with the industrial scene visible in the distance and much less dominate. If that is your objective, as close as the river bridge scene is to the industrial area, I could only imagine perhaps the back a two or three story long narrow warehouse running left to right (in the footprint of what appears to be a loose piece of flex track, the track closest to the viewer), to visually break up the scene, but still show the steel plant etc. "in the distance". A warehouse of some sort would be a natural in the industrial area anyway. Thoughts?

Kind regards,
Bill

spr1955

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2023, 02:59:31 PM »
+3
David;
The steel plant on the right, and the flood loader on the left reflect a very industrialized view. Immediately in front is a river bridge scene. I am assuming you want the river bridge scene to present more dominantly with the industrial scene visible in the distance and much less dominate. If that is your objective, as close as the river bridge scene is to the industrial area, I could only imagine perhaps the back a two or three story long narrow warehouse running left to right (in the footprint of what appears to be a loose piece of flex track, the track closest to the viewer), to visually break up the scene, but still show the steel plant etc. "in the distance". A warehouse of some sort would be a natural in the industrial area anyway. Thoughts?

Kind regards,
Bill

I took out the board brace and replaced it under for support, then took out more plywood to get a better slope, hence the topo view photo. Here is a shot from the flood loader side, the idea is to continue the 1-1/2" of green foam more to the right to block the last track on the right, filling it with some trees and stuff. Not enough room to put a building.  The track in the back on the right is the bridge track and it goes to the double portal in the rear left, so I am trying to merge/blend those two scenes as view from the other side and just show a little of the coke and steel mill thru the scenery.

Dave P

Bill H

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2023, 10:48:04 AM »
I took out the board brace and replaced it under for support, then took out more plywood to get a better slope, hence the topo view photo. Here is a shot from the flood loader side, the idea is to continue the 1-1/2" of green foam more to the right to block the last track on the right, filling it with some trees and stuff. Not enough room to put a building.  The track in the back on the right is the bridge track and it goes to the double portal in the rear left, so I am trying to merge/blend those two scenes as view from the other side and just show a little of the coke and steel mill thru the scenery.

David;
Respectfully, a sudden steep hill on the edge of a river, in an heavy industrial area seems unrealistic. I was thinking more of a long, narrow warehouse, like the old B&O building in Camden Yards to fit in admittedly a narrow space. Something like the Downtown Deco warehouse flat that can be build very narrow.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1089
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2023, 10:59:28 AM »
Are there blast furnaces nearby? What about a pile of coal, limestone or iron ore?
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +469
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2023, 12:37:18 PM »
Whoops, Wrong weekend update!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 12:39:23 PM by delamaize »
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

spr1955

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2023, 02:59:35 PM »
David;
Respectfully, a sudden steep hill on the edge of a river, in an heavy industrial area seems unrealistic. I was thinking more of a long, narrow warehouse, like the old B&O building in Camden Yards to fit in admittedly a narrow space. Something like the Downtown Deco warehouse flat that can be build very narrow.

The sudden steep hill is only 20 scale feet high, more like a ridge than a hill.  I could have extended the scenic divider you see in the background to come around the bend and tie into the wall you see on the right.... but I thought that too restrictive.  As we model, compression is inevitable, these two scenes are miles apart.  There will be elements of separation from that view block to the bridge to break up what are 3 different areas cramed into a narrow path. Some might prefer the view block over what I am doing but to me it's the space and the way the layout opens up to the viewer/operator as you progress through the room.
Dave P