Author Topic: Bachmann 44-tonner question - handrails.  (Read 711 times)

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +995
Bachmann 44-tonner question - handrails.
« on: July 17, 2023, 07:01:50 PM »
I've always been intrigued by the Bachmann N-scale 44-tonner, and am tempted to get one and paint it for NKP 90 (a.k.a. "Mighty 90)".  But -- in other Bachmann models I've been bitten by the glued-in handrail problem (like in their FM H12-44). 

So - are the handrails in the Bachman 44-tonner removable, or glued/welded in place for all eternity?

Regards,
George
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

bigdawgks

• Crew
  • Respect: +174
Re: Bachmann 44-tonner question - handrails.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2023, 07:16:14 PM »
I haven't intentionally tried to remove them but I do distinctly remember having one of the grabs pop out of its hole and having to reseat it. It didn't seem like it was ever glued in. Although that doesn't mean none of it was.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 07:25:25 PM »
+1
You need to poke them out from underneath. IIRC, some of the nose ones are a little tough but just take your time.

Jason

mecgp7

• Crew
  • Respect: +270
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 08:05:41 PM »
+1
You need to poke them out from underneath. IIRC, some of the nose ones are a little tough but just take your time.

Jason
Amen to this. I actually found that it was easier to work decals around the end handrails rather than remove them. Depends on the paint scheme I guess.

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2097
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2023, 08:50:29 PM »
They are glued in.
I chucked a #80 drill bit in my pin vise backwards with less than an 1/8 of an inch sticking out and used the square end of the bit to push the railings out from the underside. Still not all of them came out cleanly.
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +995
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 11:26:32 AM »
Well, it'll be here soon and I'll find out how hard it is to get the railings out.   The "push with a reversed drill" trick is a good one!

It turns out that the unit I bought doesn't have the hooded headlights with the side number boards, and of course that's the style I want.
Anyone got a pair of these lying around from a kitbash project? (Bachmann's parts store is out).
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

x600

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2023, 03:14:30 PM »
Hi George,
I didn't have any problems taking them out, but after 53 3/8 trying to get the end rails back in, I put the whole project back in the box and put it on the bottom of my project list. I haven't seen it in years!

Greg O

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2023, 05:06:22 PM »
Hi George,
I didn't have any problems taking them out, but after 53 3/8 trying to get the end rails back in, I put the whole project back in the box and put it on the bottom of my project list. I haven't seen it in years!

Greg,  the holes you took them out of still have the hardened CA glue in them.  Just drill the holes out with a drill bit slightly larger than the handrail's plug diameter, then install them and apply some CA glue from the inside of the shell (that is exactly how they were first glued in by Bachmann).
. . . 42 . . .

x600

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2023, 07:56:49 PM »
Thanks Peteski,
 I did that, the side went in well, but the end rails gave me the fits as getting some pins in and others would pop out.  I don't think mine were glued in, but I could be wrong.
 After all these years I didn't miss it, maybe I'll dig it out and give it another go.
Greg O.