Author Topic: MTL Tankcar Platform  (Read 1838 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4625
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: MTL Tankcar Platform
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2023, 08:57:07 PM »
Bigger? I haven't had PPD etch anything in a few years, but I remember their minimum size was pretty small. Did they change the min size?

That is probably the largest size and boB will tile his small fret to fit the large sheet.
. . . 42 . . .

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2023, 08:59:55 PM »
Should the stanchions be slightly triangular?  Wider at the bottom than at the railing?

I'm Easy. I just reposted the pic with tapered stanchions. Y'all fight it out and let me know which style is the winner.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2023, 09:06:08 PM »
But the mounts look to be in slightly different locations.

They were moved inward so the insertion of the stanchion would not interfere with the bending of the braces.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2023, 09:26:11 PM »
They were moved inward so the insertion of the stanchion would not interfere with the bending of the braces.

Well the inserted stanchions should not slide down past the bottom edge of the platforms sides, but I get your drift.

How about some positive locators (slots) in the platform edge for the ladder (or making the ladder a single piece with the platform)?  I'm looking at this design as a modeler who would be building this thing.  The simpler (without compromising too much of the fidelity), the better.
. . . 42 . . .

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2023, 10:09:09 PM »
Pete, how are you assuming the stairs are made that would require slots?
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2023, 10:42:37 PM »
+1
Pete, how are you assuming the stairs are made that would require slots?

Right now you have to  take the ladder and try to locate and glue it to the side of the platform without any alignment aid.  If you added couple of slots  in the platform's side for the ladder's uprights (bent 90 degrees at the top of the ladder), that would assure perfect alignment, and also produce a strong joint.   Or if the the platform and ladders were etched as a single part then there would  not be any need for any alignment of the ladder to the platform. I'm just looking at this from the ease of assembly perspective.

This is how I envision both options.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 08:46:43 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2023, 06:55:52 AM »
Thanks Pete for your suggestions, but my original design will work just fine.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2023, 08:23:02 AM »
I have the Allied Chemical Barrett car and applying the Seekins modifications has been on my project list for decades. Having the etching definitely will get it done and onto the active equipment roster. Of course, I have to find it first! It’s probably in milk crates with all the other vintage Kadee/MTL equipment I either don’t run anymore or bought from a collecting standpoint. The only vintage MTL single dome tanks I run I think are three of the common black-with-yellow-print UTLX cars from the early releases and special runs of the red Mobilgas (before they released it as a regular item) and a blue Gulf with the shield herald. I also stretched one to represent the long CGW prototype.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 08:29:00 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2023, 08:45:53 AM »
Thanks Pete for your suggestions, but my original design will work just fine.

You're welcome boB  - like I mentioned, I tried to make it easier to build.  Sometimes I look at photoetched kits and wonder why the designer didn't make them easier to build even if it would not have taken any extra material, just a slightly different design.
. . . 42 . . .

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1243
    • Modutrak
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2023, 08:51:16 AM »
I also stretched one to represent the long CGW prototype.

I remember seeing that car in NSR!  Then I bought two at collectors prices, tried to use alcohol to strip unneeded lettering on one half, and found out that the base paint came off before the lettering.

Haven't gone back to that project since.  If that one languishes in milk crates ever, let me know!  It was an online CGW car. 

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2023, 10:09:41 AM »
I remember seeing that car in NSR!  Then I bought two at collectors prices, tried to use alcohol to strip unneeded lettering on one half, and found out that the base paint came off before the lettering.

Haven't gone back to that project since.  If that one languishes in milk crates ever, let me know!  It was an online CGW car.

LOL!  Ouch on the lettering!  :scared:   I think I lightly sanded and then feathered red over those areas with the airbrush, because the paint was thin.  I feathered red over the entire car to help fade/age the lettering.  Had to sand and airbrush the splice joints anyway so it wasn't any additional effort.  What I do remember is that I was going to stretch some of the other colors at the time and the one experience was enough for me!  It wasn't the body that was the problem though, it was stretching the Delrin/Celcon frame and holding the pieces together.  I use stainless steel wire as reinforcement but it took a while to figure out.

That one actually is a runner.  A relatively up-to-date photo is on the Bridgeport Facebook page, in the Conrail era freight equipment album.

In our current era, probably 3D-printing the body at the proper diameter and extracting the dome and details from one MTL tankcar along with other existing detail parts would yield a more prototypical model.  Or maybe the MTL 56' tankcar body would serve as good a starting point as a 3D-printed body.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:17:19 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8054
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2023, 10:39:12 AM »
Question about installation: is this designed to work with the existing car's mounting holes for the existing platforms?

I feel like plugging those will be a pain if it doesn't.

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2023, 11:24:38 AM »
Question about installation: is this designed to work with the existing car's mounting holes for the existing platforms? I feel like plugging those will be a pain if it doesn't.

Sorry Ed, the physical locations of the small holes in the tank for the orig platform did not line up with the new support brackets. If I did that (very possible) the supports will be father away from the platform ends and I would have to hear about it from another member(s) on why they are not in the proto location.   :trollface:

I'll throw out an idea. Not proto, but reasonable. What if I supply a thin half etched "plate" that could be painted and applied of the holes. only .0025 thick and I can make just the right size to fit. Since this would be under the platform, it should not be too visible and beats the alternative. Would that be acceptable?
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8054
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2023, 11:29:53 AM »
Ha, I mean, that would likely be fine but don't stress about it.

Also, I don't think we've actually SEEN a prototype photo yet, right? Or are you looking at the book?

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2023, 12:04:25 PM »
I made a quick & dirty platform mockup out of .030 styrene. Mainly to find the right length for the platform support legs. It also helped my to fine tune the opening dia to make it smaller and a better visual. As to the location of the holes, I have a damaged MTL tank so I was able see I was no where close to the original holes.

It's no big deal for those plates. Should take less than 1 min to add them to the fret.

Bob
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards