Author Topic: Do you isolate your loco storage tracks?  (Read 1693 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3081
Re: Do you isolate your loco storage tracks?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2023, 10:45:41 PM »
+1
Layout I operated on today had his engine tracks on a toggle to keep from hogging the power supply.  Most have sound installed

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2023, 12:10:28 AM »
Well, much of my "loco storage" is in the main staging yard (Barstow) and there can be many sound powered multi-unit sets there at any one time. Rather than isolating every track, I opted for track groups. Helps at start up, and isolating track groups for troubleshooting. Simple SPST's.
Otto K.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 12:12:10 AM by Cajonpassfan »

glenng6

• Respect: +7
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2023, 11:52:57 PM »
Layout I operated on today had his engine tracks on a toggle to keep from hogging the power supply.  Most have sound installed

Since I never know where I may leave a loco, all my yard and stub tracks are isolated. I certainly don't want to listen to locos droning on endlessly. There is enough sound coming from the locos that are actually working. Isolate because it opens up many options, not because it save some power. Glenn

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2023, 07:12:16 PM »
I don't mean to second guess your approach, Glenn, it's always good to have the option to shut things down block by block, for several reasons. But sound can be shut down at the end of the run by F8, no? At least that's one of my rules of the road for visiting operators: turn off headlight, shut down sound, zero out the cab. Some even follow these rules... :D
Otto K.

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2023, 10:09:08 PM »
I don't mean to second guess your approach, Glenn, it's always good to have the option to shut things down block by block, for several reasons. But sound can be shut down at the end of the run by F8, no? At least that's one of my rules of the road for visiting operators: turn off headlight, shut down sound, zero out the cab. Some even follow these rules... :D
Otto K.

F8 doesn't necessarily shut off sound - it varies from one decoder brand to another. F8 can either turn all sound off, turn the sound volume considerably lower, or only shut off the prime mover sound (and function button-triggered effects like bell, horn, coupler, etc will still sound).
Under the streets of Los Angeles

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +189
    • N-Scale and other interest
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2023, 10:51:01 PM »

Quick shot of my engine tracks. Each track has independent power via the toggle on the facia.
David B.

Member WMRHS

https://undara.wordpress.com/

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2023, 11:06:31 PM »
Dave, I like these round rocker switches you have. Can you tell me more on what size they are and who makes them, I'd like to get some myself. Jon

I get them on Amazon, but I also got a bad batch when I was building the Colorado Midland, so not sure I'd recommend them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L9JWVVR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7947
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2023, 10:35:29 AM »
+1
I found something fun at the recent Timonium show.

I love "immersive switchgear" for the layout. It's why I'm going with very retro looking LEDs for my switch control boxes.

So, what better to handle turning tracks on and off than these monkey fighters that remind me of EMD battery switches?

Overkill? Definitely. Cool? Well, I like to think so.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4587
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2023, 01:47:09 PM »
+1
"Retro looking LEDs" Ed?  That seems to be contradiction in terms, considering that  Light Emitting Diodes are not all that old.  Retro are incandescent light bulbs.
 Anyhow, I don't see and LEDs or bulbs in that photo - just some knife switches. Those switches do look "retro". They also feature a spark gap - another cool blast from the past. 
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +992
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2023, 05:06:00 PM »
"Retro looking LEDs" Ed?  That seems to be contradiction in terms, considering that  Light Emitting Diodes are not all that old.  Retro are incandescent light bulbs.
 Anyhow, I don't see and LEDs or bulbs in that photo - just some knife switches. Those switches do look "retro". They also feature a spark gap - another cool blast from the past.

I see the spark gap, but have no idea why it's there.  Would someone enlighten me please?
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

wvgca

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2023, 05:57:46 PM »
yup, i keep DC locos on the same track as DCC

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2023, 06:00:37 PM »
I see the spark gap, but have no idea why it's there.  Would someone enlighten me please?

Inductive loads, like fractional-horsepower motors. I can't see using these for anything serious like a big motor due to the obvious safety problem. But the spark gap may also be an artifact of old tooling being repurposed into a novelty item.

Also... these kind of blade switches are popular with the "traditional" ham radio crowd to switch between long-wire antennas. The spark gap definitely has purpose there, to deal with static buildup.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4587
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2023, 06:05:11 PM »
+1

Well, knife switches are really old-school (overkill for working with 12V), so it might be the spark gaps are for when they are actually used for their intended purposes (few thousand volts)? Maybe to shunt the arc while the switch is being opened, so it doesn't arc to the blade part of the switch?
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7947
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2023, 11:51:45 AM »
+1
I just went with them because they look cool  :D

As for "old school LEDs", these are what I'm using. They're not perfect, but I think they "get the idea across"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DXQPTJF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]