Author Topic: Fix your Code 55 turnouts with Conductive Paint  (Read 3458 times)

CRR Chase

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
Re: Fix your Code 55 turnouts with Conductive Paint
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2023, 01:03:56 PM »
+1
I think these hacks are good for temporary fixes .. but in the long run it's better to just replace of repair the turnout or component with the tried and true methods.

As far as the Atlas turnouts - we've had many examples here on how to repair them ..  I just tore down my layout and have started to refurbish track - I will take the opportunity to fix all my turnouts with PC ties in the appropriate places and replace closure rails when needed with a better mechanical solution

hey, can you help me wit a link to the PC board fix for these?

Thanks

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2023, 02:34:25 AM »
+1
hey, can you help me wit a link to the PC board fix for these?

Thanks

The code 55 Atlas turnout embedded brass jumpers often do not remain reliably connected to the rails, so I assume the "fix" is to substitute soldered PC board ties at appropriate points, similarly to what you would do for hand-made turnouts.  See the Fast Tracks site for typical PC board tie positions, with the caveat that you need fewer, as you are not using them for structural strength, but only for electrical jumpers. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 03:50:20 AM by mark.hinds »

CRR Chase

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2023, 09:15:24 AM »
The code 55 Atlas turnout embedded brass jumpers often do not remain reliably connected to the rails, so I assume the "fix" is to substitute soldered PC board ties at appropriate points, similarly to what you would do for hand-made turnouts.  See the Fast Tracks site for typical PC board tie positions, with the caveat that you need fewer, as you are not using them for structural strength, but only for electrical jumpers.
Ok thanks

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2023, 10:12:42 PM »
+2
... One thing I'm puzzled about it how Mike's test strip of paint which he stated was roughly of similar dimensions to what Ed planned to do was had only coupler ohms of resistance. 

I stand corrected, very much so. I don't know what I was remembering. I just measured a test strip dispensed from the nozzle, thoroughly cured, roughly 0.075" wide by 0.020 high, and it ohmed out at a consistent 250Ω per inch.

So no, it's not all that useful as a conductor of any sort beyond bridging very small gaps at low currents. I have it as an adhesive for adding detection resistors to wheelsets, and for that the added resistance is negligible, even unmeasurable.

So... my bad. Sorry.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2023, 12:38:10 AM »
No need to be sorry!  I am really glad you double-checked this, and extra points for letting us know.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2023, 03:07:04 PM »
Thanks for the correction Mike. Things make sense now.
. . . 42 . . .