Author Topic: Question about broken truck  (Read 1042 times)

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
Re: Question about broken truck
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2023, 02:01:14 PM »
IIRC, those trucks are made from the typical  slippery plastic (like Delrin).  Just as a test take some solvent glue (like MEK acetone, or Methylene Chloride) and dab a little drop on some hidden part of the truck (like under the bolster) and see if it has any effect on the plastic.  I doubt it.  That type of plastic is is also difficult to glue since nothing really bonds well to it, and you need decent bond for those parts to stay together.

I like John's ideal of pinning the broken parts together, but I have no trust in any UV glue (I'll be finally ordering some of it today as neither local Home depot or Ace hardware had any in stock).  I would the weld the broken parts together using a soldering iron,  That is the only way I found to produce strong repair in that type of plastic.

I'm also unclear on the description of the break.  Is the sideframe broken off at the end of the bolster, or the bolster itself is broken into 2 at the hole for the kingpin?

Celcon :) 
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
Re: Question about broken truck
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2023, 02:24:41 PM »
Celcon :)

No wonder everybody makes a Celanese tank car.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.