Author Topic: Bachmann GP7  (Read 947 times)

6axlepwr

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
Bachmann GP7
« on: February 01, 2023, 11:42:56 AM »
I need to get me a load of GP7's. I am afraid to ask, but how are the Bachmann models?

Looking up close at them and remove the thick paint and they seem to appear pretty decent and can be turned into a nice model. So how is the running quality?

Brian

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1237
    • Modutrak
Re: Bachmann GP7
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 03:24:49 PM »
Running quality is OK.  If you're happy with the way the door seams and other details are rendered, then have a go.  Otherwise the Atlas is still a good option. 

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1419
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 03:46:11 PM »
Are these glued together like all of the other recent stuff? I built a WM hammerhead RS3 with the Bachmann model and just about couldn't get it apart to do the detailing. Same with the NE cabeese. Its a next to impossible to get the railings off without damaging them - and forget taking out the glass!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7939
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 04:50:01 PM »
+2
Running quality is OK.  If you're happy with the way the door seams and other details are rendered, then have a go.  Otherwise the Atlas is still a good option. 

The door seams are the #1 thing that kills me about Bachmann's diesel offerings.

The cab windows are #2.

The decoders are also NFG.

My recommendation: watch for second hand Atlas ones. Later runs are plug-n-play DCC, and the upcoming release is going to have sound (as an option).
https://shop.atlasrr.com/c-734-n72.aspx

6axlepwr

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 05:45:14 PM »
I really appreciate the input. Being away from N-Scale for so long has really set me back on what is going on with it.

While doing a little research I see that the Atlas GP7 is actually the one I want. It has the features for the phase I want to use for my railroad.

Brian

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 06:51:54 PM »
I need to get me a load of GP7's.
Brian

How many in a load?  Just curious.  I have 10 Atlas GP7's of various vintages.  1 with D/B, 9 without.  All are DC but DCC ready with a board swap, though not the most recent ESU sound ready chassis.  Since I have backdated to the late 1940's they are surplus though I might want to keep a couple just in case.

They are:
 2 NYC/PLE No D/B      Atlas #48294/48295 P&LE 5676/5680
 1 GN No D/B              Atlas #48291  GN 602
 1 Clinchfield No D/B    Atlas #48290 Clinchfield 907
 1 MRL with D/B          Atlas #48372 MRL 102
 5 undecorated No D/B Atlas #48000

The undecorateds are NIB, the rest are Ebay, train show or LHS consignment purchases.

I want to hold on to a few of the undecorateds since if I use them I will need to paint in PRR or C&O or something that fits.  The decorated ones are all up for grabs.
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 08:05:30 PM »
I have several HO Bachmann GP7s…they run very well, excellent slow speed characteristics….

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +181
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 11:08:47 PM »
+1
]I need to get me a load of GP7's

P&LE? or P&E?  The B-mann NYCS version is almost ready for P&E.  You will have to remove the number from the cab, move it to the short hood and put the P&E herald onto the cab. The numbers on the P&E's were larger, but you may not be able to find that. P&E's GP-7s were all black lightning stripe, even the two or three passenger versions that it had.

P&LE's were Pacemaker Green, so you will have to repaint and letter those.  There were either four or six passenger units, they were grey.  At one point, #5683 had a funny paint scheme.  Use MicroScale NYCS steam locomotive sets for lettering and the lightning stripes for that.

how are the Bachmann models?

They run acceptably.  The Atlas are better. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 11:10:21 PM by brokemoto »

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 09:10:41 AM »
Are these glued together like all of the other recent stuff? I built a WM hammerhead RS3 with the Bachmann model and just about couldn't get it apart to do the detailing. Same with the NE cabeese. Its a next to impossible to get the railings off without damaging them - and forget taking out the glass!
Yes, though I had a very easy time getting the glass off. The handrails were a nightmare and had to CA the nub end to the frame. Luckily it was for a customer and he didn't mind.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2032
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 12:48:03 PM »
+1
I made one attempt to use one of the GP7 chassis for one of my CF7 conversions.   I wasn't too impressed by the body detailing, particularly the pure laziness in the mold design where the cab steps should have been.

But the mechanism was quiet and slow, rather impressed with that.

However grinding enough off the chassis to work with my CF7 kit was a nightmare I'll never repeat.

We'll see how Atlas does on the new release, I'm looking forward to it, but I suspect that resigning the chassis to accommodate a speaker in the fuel tank will result with even poorer tractive effort, and wiring the truck pickup ears to the frame isn't an improvement either, really only proves that decreasing chassis weight causes more electrical issues.    If they could crack the code on Kato wheel metallurgy that would help a lot to improve TE.