Author Topic: Passenger rail service debacle  (Read 857 times)

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
Passenger rail service debacle
« on: January 20, 2023, 11:23:08 AM »
It is sad to see how badly the U.S. passenger service has failed to support the customers it still has.  Attracting new customers does not seem even possible, much less even a priority.  Yet, I am still getting e-mails from Amtrak offering me a "US Rail Pass for just $299".

But, then space is not available.  See https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews/news-wire/short-consists-constrain-capitol-limited-while-empty-superliners-run-on-midwest-route-analysis/

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8041
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Passenger rail service debacle
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 12:19:16 PM »
I'm sure you've seen this.

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 03:28:25 PM »
The busy route is busy and the not-busy route isn't. What a shocker.

Maybe you missed it.  The routes with a lot of cars are using a lot of cars because they are required to provide enough axles to carry enough current to trigger crossing gates.  Meanwhile, routes that are starved for cars are sold out, and not even carrying enough passengers for the connections to other roads to get seats. So, the prices on the sold-out trains are escalated. 

And the problems are basically that the Amtrak didn't keep up with maintenance on its passenger car breaks and whoever maintains the crossing gate apparatus has not kept that working reliably.  So, fewer cars and no-revenue demands for cars.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 03:34:41 PM »
I'm not a crossing gate systems expert but wouldn't even a single locomotive be able to reliably trigger the crossing signal to activate?

EDIT:added "reliably".
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 05:15:37 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 03:40:41 PM »
I'm not a crossing gate systems expert but wouldn't even a single locomotive be able to trigger the crossing signal to activate?

I'll defer to the experts we have on signalling and operations on TRW, but unless something has changed, yes.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Maletrain

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 07:52:41 PM »
It is suposed to be triggered by one truck (2 axles) from what I understand.  But, if yu read the article in the link I posted, there is a stretch that is not triggered reliably by a loco and several passenger cars, so the government is requiring more passenger cars than needed for passengers on that line.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 08:38:00 PM »
Are they talking Crossing Signals or Railroad Signals?

It could be a PTC thing with Railroad Signals...

.. But you could take all of the AAR operable cars that are 'OOS' waiting on occupancy issues to be fixed and use those for buffers on the short trains, and free up your good cars for the trains that need them.

Just a thought.. ~Ian
~Ian

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2023, 08:41:24 PM »
I'm not a crossing gate systems expert but wouldn't even a single locomotive be able to reliably trigger the crossing signal to activate?

EDIT:added "reliably".

Short trains and light engines are speed restricted because there is NOT a lot of wheels to close the track circuit especially on freshly rusted rail or dirty rail from tree sap, leaves, bugs etc…

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2023, 08:47:57 PM »
Short trains and light engines are speed restricted because there is NOT a lot of wheels to close the track circuit especially on freshly rusted rail or dirty rail from tree sap, leaves, bugs etc…

So, even with their massive weight the "real" trains do have track-to-wheel electrical conductivity problems, just like our little trains. Interesting.
. . . 42 . . .

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2023, 09:37:24 PM »
So, even with their massive weight the "real" trains do have track-to-wheel electrical conductivity problems, just like our little trains. Interesting.

Yes, and remember the contact patch ( wheel to rail) is tiny. Less than the size of a dime.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2023, 11:20:34 PM »
Yes, and remember the contact patch ( wheel to rail) is tiny. Less than the size of a dime.

Since the wheel is circular while while the rail is tangent, and since the tread has a taper which does not exactly match the shape if the railhead. then the contact area is likely much smaller than a dime, but the pressure at the contact patch is extremely high (per sq. inch).
. . . 42 . . .

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2023, 11:58:00 PM »
They flattened pennies well when I was a kid.
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2023, 01:53:38 AM »
No, the contact area is about the size of a dime.  Steel isn't perfectly rigid, so both the wheel and the rail deform slightly under pressure.  That's one of the major causes of rail wear - the steel eventually "flows" into a new shape.
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2023, 11:43:04 AM »
No, the contact area is about the size of a dime.  Steel isn't perfectly rigid, so both the wheel and the rail deform slightly under pressure.  That's one of the major causes of rail wear - the steel eventually "flows" into a new shape.

Interesting. That makes sense.  I have seen worn rail where there is a distinct ridge at the edge of the railhead (as if it was squished down from the top). 
. . . 42 . . .