Author Topic: CV change  (Read 444 times)

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
CV change
« on: January 17, 2023, 03:21:24 PM »
Hi
I do that all the time , changing the value of some CVs but these I don't know how to do it ...

I wanted to change the volume of the loco , I change CV63 to a lower value but it's the master volume , so it changed everything , the motor sound is now acceptable but the bell and horn is much too low .

As per a RAPIDO email to change only the volume of the motor I have to modify CV285 .
But on my DIGITRAX I cannot access to CVs that high , is there another solution ?

The decoders that RAPIDO used in my FP9 and  Dash 8-40C are ESU Locksound  .
Thanks ,
Louis

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
Re: CV change
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 03:43:18 PM »
+1
Hi Louis.

1.  HO scale or N scale?

2.  What kind of Digitrax system do you have?  Digitrax command stations generally CAN access "high" CV numbers (above 256), but you have to have a throttle that will allow that.  I think that the current "high-end" handhelds from Digitrax permit this (e.g., the 602 series).  The DT402 also does (that's what I have).

The other way to do this is to use JMRI's Decoder Pro on a computer connected to your command station, or get a LokProgrammer (or find a friend who has one).  ESU decoders are now so commonplace as OEM equipment that many people have invested in a LokProgrammer.  If you live anywhere close to Champaign, IL, I'd be happy to do this for you myself.

3.  BTW, changing individual sound levels on an ESU decoder is NOT as simple as dialing up one CV and changing that number.  "High" CV values (above 256) are "indexed" CV's, and usually require you to FIRST program an index number before you change the CV value.

And I don't think CV285 is the appropriate CV for changing the volume of the Prime Mover.  The Prime Mover volume CV is usually CV259 and you must first set CV31 = 16 and CV32=1 before changing the sound CV.   If the decoder is a LokSound V5, there may be multiple CV's that affect the volume of the prime mover.

4.  The result of 3 is that you would be much better off to find a friend with JMRI's Decoder Pro or a LokProgrammer to change the volume for you.  Doing it yourself by raw CV programming is a recipe for disaster.

John C.

trainforfun

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 01:30:28 PM »
Hi Louis.

1.  HO scale or N scale?

2.  What kind of Digitrax system do you have?  Digitrax command stations generally CAN access "high" CV numbers (above 256), but you have to have a throttle that will allow that.  I think that the current "high-end" handhelds from Digitrax permit this (e.g., the 602 series).  The DT402 also does (that's what I have).

The other way to do this is to use JMRI's Decoder Pro on a computer connected to your command station, or get a LokProgrammer (or find a friend who has one).  ESU decoders are now so commonplace as OEM equipment that many people have invested in a LokProgrammer.  If you live anywhere close to Champaign, IL, I'd be happy to do this for you myself.

3.  BTW, changing individual sound levels on an ESU decoder is NOT as simple as dialing up one CV and changing that number.  "High" CV values (above 256) are "indexed" CV's, and usually require you to FIRST program an index number before you change the CV value.

And I don't think CV285 is the appropriate CV for changing the volume of the Prime Mover.  The Prime Mover volume CV is usually CV259 and you must first set CV31 = 16 and CV32=1 before changing the sound CV.   If the decoder is a LokSound V5, there may be multiple CV's that affect the volume of the prime mover.

4.  The result of 3 is that you would be much better off to find a friend with JMRI's Decoder Pro or a LokProgrammer to change the volume for you.  Doing it yourself by raw CV programming is a recipe for disaster.

John C.

I have a DT402D and a DT400 .
I didn't try with the 402D , I know I have to change the 2 others first , thanks for reminding me !

As per RAPIDO answer it was : first change CV31 to 16 , and CV32 to 1 and he said the prime mover is CV285 ...

I saw many of your work and I will follow what you said , you are a pro !!!

I have JMRI but it's an old version , on an old computer that does not communicate anymore with my rooter .... I will check if it's capable of going to these high CV but I doubt

I will download a new version on my lap top and see .

Thanks for your help !!!
Thanks ,
Louis

jdcolombo

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 03:14:39 PM »
+1
Hi again, Louis.

The 402D should work.  It does with my Digitrax Chief system.

It's possible that Rapido asked ESU to customize its sound file and that the prime mover volume CV is 285.  But I think you ought to ask them that question again.  On their web site, if you click on their Product Listing under the Product Support Tab, the first thing on that page are links to the ESU LokSound V5 and LokSound Select manuals.   There are no links to any special decoder CV's, just the manuals.  In the LokSound 5 manual, page 88 lists the Diesel Sound Table, and I don't see CV285 anywhere on that list.  CV259 is listed as the "sound on/off" CV, but that really means the prime mover, which is what F8 turns on/off. 

The LokSound Select manual on page 34 also shows "Diesel Volume Control" as CV259, and I don't see CV285 listed anywhere in the diesel sound table that starts on page 34 and continues to page 35. 

So my best guess is that CV259 is what you're looking for, not CV285.  But again, it is possible Rapido asked for and received special programming for their engines.  Still, I'd try CV259 first.  Read the value in CV259 and write it down so you can re-set to that value if it turns out to be the wrong CV.

I think I have Version 4.20 of JMRI, which is now 4 versions old, but it handles ESU decoders just fine.

John C.

trainforfun

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 04:10:33 PM »
Hi

thanks a lot I just used my DT402D and it worked !
You are right about CV259 , it showed a value of 100 like RAPIDO said for a default value , but they are wrong with their CV285 . The default value of that CV285 is 38 , which I don't know either what it is and I didn't modified it .
I lowered the value of the sound motor to 35 and it's a lot better that way , it's not normal to hear a diesel from 10 feet away ( 1,600 scale feet ) that loud .

I tried to read that manual and frankly it's like chinese to me which is a non sense since ESU is from Germany ... :D

Thanks you very much and I am glad you also told me about the DT402D being able to change high CV number .

You made my day !!!

Thanks again
Thanks ,
Louis

jdcolombo

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023, 04:52:27 PM »
+2
Glad it worked!

Agree that the manuals are not as helpful as they might be.  I wish someone would write a manual with specific programming examples so normal people could figure it all out . . .

John C.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 04:54:20 PM by jdcolombo »