Author Topic: Thursday Proto Photo, Jan 12/23  (Read 504 times)

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1557
Thursday Proto Photo, Jan 12/23
« on: January 12, 2023, 08:42:11 AM »
+4
Beaconsfield, QC Mar 19,2007

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
Re: Thursday Proto Photo, Jan 12/23
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 10:39:07 PM »
+3
The Lowell Smith Royal Gorge train reminded that I didn't post this before Christmas.

The Santa Express in Canyon City got new power this year.

ex-C&O IIRC.

Jason

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 01:39:58 AM »
+8
Circumstance has me in Montana for a non railfan reason, but I'm not going to not shoot the MRL. Had a good chase with LM today had just finished shooting a helper push a grain train up Bozeman and then run light down to Livingston. Dispatcher called the helper crew and told them that LM was just out of Laurel, and with that I was off to try to get to the Twin Bridges before LM:

1) LM crossing the Yellowstone River at what on the RR is near Craver, but the map calls it Twin Bridges because there used to be an old highway bridge blocking the RR bridge. I shot them up close in 2018, and although the pair was a nice shot, the removal opens up several new shots unobstructed (except by trees).

2) Just RR west of Big Timber LM passes the Crazy Mountains approaching a meet with an empty coal train at Carney. Between the Twin's and Livingston they met three EB's.

3) One of the more scenic locations on MRL's second Sub is this location a little east of Elton where the Yellowstone River makes a sharp turn west in this mini-canyon.

4) On the home stretch to Livingston now, the old NP put some distance between it and the river in this open valley. Not listed on the timetable anymore as far as I know, this location was the junction with a branch to White Sulphur Springs. Abandoned and the mainline switches removed, the branch itself is still in tact for whatever reason. In 2018 I followed it as far north as Wilsall.

This is only my third trip to the MRL, but boy am I going to miss it.

wes_sutton

• Crew
  • Respect: +450
    • http://www.users.bigpond.com/grms
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 06:11:39 PM »
+9
Taken last weekend....... The high sun in summer here in much of Australia is a curse and makes good photography very difficult between 1000hrs to 1600hrs, but sometimes "you just gotta do what you gotta do!"
With Encounter Bay and the town of Victor Harbor as a backdrop, Steamranger's preserved Alco DL500B 958 heads the last 'Cockle Train' of the day back to Goolwa, South Australia.

Way outside curfew by Bingley Hall, on Flickr