Author Topic: Weekend Update 1/8/23  (Read 7412 times)

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +84
Re: Weekend Update 1/8/23
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2023, 10:17:32 AM »

This will be the first time, I have NOT Driven a FORD Ranger in 36+ years...

Jerry G.
A shame that Ford foisted this on us, but so far from what I hear, it's almost as good as the Rangers we're used to. Does that seem to be the case with you and your Maverick?

Taylor

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2023, 10:23:32 AM »
+1
2nd,  Three weeks ago today.  I picked up the FCN's newest Service Vehicle. (actually it's my Birthday present, Dec. 23rd)....

Jerry G.
My brother bought this same exact truck, down to the color. I saw the best vanity plate on a different one while crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. It simply said "N GOOSE".

IYKYN
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
  • Respect: +511
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2023, 11:17:13 AM »
+1
MT
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 06:10:36 PM by fcnrwy23 »

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2023, 11:22:38 AM »
AREA 51
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 06:10:57 PM by fcnrwy23 »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2023, 11:23:41 AM »
+1
It's all modular and digital.  The connections are through 52-pin ribbon wire buses.  Each IR pole wire is color coded, white for emitter and gray for receiver, and at the endpoints has color-coded shrink tubing to identify if it's an eastbound or westbound sensor and connected to the anode pole or cathode pole.  Each set of four IR wires is in a 2x2 male housing that plugs into the 2x13 female connectors at either end of the ribbon cable, and the wire position in the 2x2 housing determines if the wire is connected to the anode or cathode pole.  The module sensor wires then plug into a 52-pin ribbon wire bus that runs back to the control panel.  The first two pins are 5v and ground to power the modules, the remaining pins are for signal wires.  A pair of SMLEDs on the modules indicate power and IR detection.  It's very easy to troubleshoot even though there are 160 IR wires and 40 signal wires.  Elegoo controllers light LEDs in the control panel based on the signal input from the IR sensor modules.

All the electronics designed for Arduino projects adapt incredibly well to model railroading needs without having to design intricate circuitry or incurring major expense.  The IR module comes with the IR diodes soldered to the board and is designed as a proximity sensor. I replaced the diodes with pins so that the diodes could be positioned line-of-sight on either side of the track, diagonally across. So the modules always are “hot” until a train passes between the IR diodes. When the signal is interrupted, the Elegoo controller lights the respective LED on the control panel. I employ the same design on the hidden trackage but the IR modules are in much smaller concentrations, no more than six per cluster, and counted to 14-pin ribbon cable back to the control panel.

Wow!   You probably have more sensors than real l railroads!  And all that is just for the helix?  :o
. . . 42 . . .

GN63

• Crew
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2023, 12:47:55 PM »
Where is the up arrow for just plain "WOW"
It's all modular and digital.  The connections are through 52-pin ribbon wire buses.  Each IR pole wire is color coded, white for emitter and gray for receiver, and at the endpoints has color-coded shrink tubing to identify if it's an eastbound or westbound sensor and connected to the anode pole or cathode pole.  Each set of four IR wires is in a 2x2 male housing that plugs into the 2x13 female connectors at either end of the ribbon cable, and the wire position in the 2x2 housing determines if the wire is connected to the anode or cathode pole.  The module sensor wires then plug into a 52-pin ribbon wire bus that runs back to the control panel.  The first two pins are 5v and ground to power the modules, the remaining pins are for signal wires.  A pair of SMLEDs on the modules indicate power and IR detection.  It's very easy to troubleshoot even though there are 160 IR wires and 40 signal wires.  Elegoo controllers light LEDs in the control panel based on the signal input from the IR sensor modules.

All the electronics designed for Arduino projects adapt incredibly well to model railroading needs without having to design intricate circuitry or incurring major expense.  The IR module comes with the IR diodes soldered to the board and is designed as a proximity sensor. I replaced the diodes with pins so that the diodes could be positioned line-of-sight on either side of the track, diagonally across. So the modules always are “hot” until a train passes between the IR diodes. When the signal is interrupted, the Elegoo controller lights the respective LED on the control panel. I employ the same design on the hidden trackage but the IR modules are in much smaller concentrations, no more than six per cluster, and counted to 14-pin ribbon cable back to the control panel.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 12:51:00 PM by GN63 »

southernman

• Crew
  • Respect: +41
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2023, 01:12:32 PM »
Well, Happy New Year to ALL...

I would like to mention two things....

1st, a BIG Thank You to Pete over at BLW.  I received my last items from his establishment... :D  Happy Retirement!!!   :)

2nd,  Three weeks ago today.  I picked up the FCN's newest Service Vehicle. (actually it's my Birthday present, Dec. 23rd)....

This will be the first time, I have NOT Driven a FORD Ranger in 36+ years...

Jerry G.

I drove two Rangers over a 23 year/ 700K + period. They used to be outstanding vehicles and of course, no truck payment equals more trains lol.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2023, 01:57:59 PM »
Wow!   You probably have more sensors than real l railroads!  And all that is just for the helix?  :o

I think I would have gone with fewer sensors unless it is being designed for automated operation , and mounted 4 cameras looking down to the opposite side and made them easily removable . On the control panel I would have 4 small CCTV's .

Richie Dost

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2023, 04:33:13 PM »
+1
It's all modular and digital.

That is some serious engineering effort!  Impressive!  8)

Ed

fcnrwy23

• Crew
  • Home of the FCN
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2023, 04:57:12 PM »
I drove two Rangers over a 23 year/ 700K + period.
They used to be outstanding vehicles and of course,
no truck payment equals more trains lol.
    :D :D :D

Same Here!!!

Jerry G.

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2023, 04:59:22 PM »
+5
I got a set of NKP heavyweight passenger decals in from K4s and decided to try them out to letter an NKP business car (Micro-Trains undec).  In this photo the have been applied without clearcoat.

Good news!  The lettering is the correct size and spacing! Take that, Microscale!  The road name looks good, but the small lettering "NKP&StL" is a little fuzzy.

The color seems a little dark - it's described as "bronze", and should be Dulux, but it's not terrible, and at least it's not bright yellow like Northeast Decals used (and their lettering was also too big).

So - could be better, but it's the best available other than some custom decals from the NKPH&TS that aren't available separately.

George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2023, 05:10:35 PM »
+4
Working on fascia, turnout throws, and skirting:

More on The Carolina Sandhills Lines thread in the Layout Engineering forum.

DFF

Hey Dave,  I took a double-take when I saw your photo.  It would appear you and I have the same good taste in selections of fascia and skirting color.   :D

Erik

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2023, 06:15:28 PM »
+1

Yes, just the helix.  Four sensors per rotation for each mainline (every 90 degrees), 5¼ rotations in total.  There are another 26 sensors on the lower hidden level.  You basically see a group of slow-moving chase lights across the control panel as a train navigates the hidden trackage.

The IR sensor boards cost roughly 25¢ each, give or take a few pennies.  It's not a bank-buster to integrate Arduino components.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 06:20:23 PM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

AlbertSpor

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2023, 07:56:54 PM »
Draskouasshat the UP baggage horse cars look great. Any chance you might want to sell a few prints at some time?
George the NKP car looks promising.
Nate the Rock Island cars all look great, I love all of the passenger car threads and photos that we have had lately.
Albert
Albert Spor

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2023, 08:25:37 PM »
Draskouasshat the UP baggage horse cars look great. Any chance you might want to sell a few prints at some time?
George the NKP car looks promising.
Nate the Rock Island cars all look great, I love all of the passenger car threads and photos that we have had lately.
Albert

unfortunately, i cant sell the UP car. i bought the STL file for it to use as a test and design medium to see how it printed. im also comparing my details like rivets to what he did so i can improve my designs.
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!