Author Topic: N Scale Tunnel Portal  (Read 610 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
N Scale Tunnel Portal
« on: January 02, 2023, 11:11:03 AM »
+3
I needed a tunnel portal for the layout ..

Files available here

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5760399

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: N Scale Tunnel Portal
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 01:52:22 PM »
I needed a tunnel portal for the layout ...

Outstanding. I was looking into acquiring an FDM machine real soon for projects like this. Having a file in-hand for something I need is a way excellent kick in that direction.

Thanks!  :)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 02:01:33 PM »
Outstanding. I was looking into acquiring an FDM machine real soon for projects like this. Having a file in-hand for something I need is a way excellent kick in that direction.

Thanks!  :)

You are welcome -- I haven't figured out how to make a convincing concrete form texture yet - but this one is closest so far and passes the three foot test

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4595
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2023, 02:05:58 PM »
+1
I think that in N od H0 scale concrete texture would be smooth (like surface painted with flat paint).  But rendering ghost lines of the concrete forms (or wooden boards) used for the forms would probably look quite convincing.
. . . 42 . . .

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 02:26:23 PM »
+2
Concrete tunnel portals on the UP in Weber and Echo Canyons have very distinct impressions of the wood forms used to pour them.  Texture is more like woodgrain than anything else, but today, the portals are all cracked up and stained.  Here's a prototype photo of UP double bore tunnels at Taggarts...

Photo (1) - UP Double Bore tunnel portals at Taggarts...

I used these as an example to do double bore tunnels on my buddy Nate's layout, but the track was laid too close together to get an exact match.  However, I copied the weathering and cracking on the prototype pretty closely...

Photo (2) - UP Double Bore tunnel portals at Riverside on Nate's (@Nato) layout...

These weren't 3D printed, but made out of premium pine, and I'm no expert at drawing 3D models, but these photos give a good look at well-weathered concrete tunnel portal surfaces, weathering and coloration.

As for contours...yours would improve with making the arch circular rather than a slight elongated oval, and keep the sides either parallel with each other (for low-pressure tunnel bores) or curved inward (for extreme lateral pressure tunnel bores).  Here's an official UP drawing that shows tunnel bore proportions and dimensions which would be what the tunnel portal opening look like, which will assist in your 3D model by giving you actual measurements.  However, I would still check the clearances with your trusty NMRA Standards Gage before installing on your layout.

Photo (3) - UP Common Standard Tunnel Clearances:

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore