Author Topic: N scale starter set for an 11 yr old  (Read 921 times)

carmelmodelrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
N scale starter set for an 11 yr old
« on: December 11, 2022, 09:20:40 PM »
My 11 yr old grandson has seen my layout many times and is now expressing an interest in building his own N scale layout.  I live about 2 hrs away from him but his dad is electrically knowledgeable and would be involved. I have two questions:
Is N scale appropriate for an 11 yr old?
If so, what starter set would you recommend? (I’m already shying away from a Bachmann set, but maybe that’s the way to go).

Carmelmodelrr
Richard Wroblewski

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3127
Re: N scale starter set for an 11 yr old
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 09:57:45 PM »
+2
Given how much equipment and such is on the used market, I'd piece together a set.  Lot of group lots of unitrak out there and $10-15 freight cars.  Engines for $50 and up.

If a set is truly desired, get one of the Kato sets that have everything,  can always grow from them.  No free standing details if he gets a little rough with it

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +188
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 10:46:44 PM »
You might get away with N scale for an eleven year old.  In your place, I actually would go with HO.  You can get an 0-4-0T or 0-6-0T, or, if he prefers diesels, you can get a switcher or even an industrial switcher (such as the B-mann 44 or 70 tonner).  You then buy a few cheap freight cars and a  caboose.  You even could hit a show or FeePay and get some old Athearn Blue Box, "shake of the box" kits.  The guy can learn some basic kit-building with those, then move on to building kits. That stuff will run on a fifteen inch radius curve.

The other advantage of starting the boy on that stuff is that if he loses interest, you are out only a few dollars.  What happened to me when I got to high school was that as I gained interest in girls, beer (I knew where I could buy beer even in a twenty-one state, never mind an eighteen state) and other similar things, I lost interest in the trains.

If you do decide to go with the N, hope that his preferred era and road(s) choice is similar to yours.  That way, if he loses interest, you can run the stuff yourself. 

If you do go with N, I would hit a show or FeePay and get something inexpensive:  a locomotive, a few freight cars and a caboose (if cabooses were still used in your era).  If he wants something passenger, see if you can find a Kato RDC for a good price.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 10:49:11 PM by brokemoto »

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1330
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 01:28:56 AM »
My first set was a 000 Lone Star set at not-quite-eleven.  Handling it wasn't a problem, but the quality was!  If it hadn't been for buying an Arnold/Rapido FA a couple years later I would have probably given up.  he shouldn't have any problems at all, especially with adults who can help him.  My father worked for the railroad, but knew even less about models, or electricity, than I did!

For a starter set I'd second the Unitrak.  I've never used it, and don't care for its appearance, but for a starter set it would be perfect.  It's designed to be virtually indestructible, and to be taken apart and put together repeatedly, so should survive being "experimented with", if he wants to try different arrangements before doing anything permanent.
N Kalanaga
Be well

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
  • Respect: +316
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 07:41:16 AM »
+1
Back then (1975), I got my N scale starter set when I was 8 years old. It was a Minitrix set with a siding extension set. That loco is still running.

In your case, I also would start with a Kato set.
Thomas

Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1263
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 08:44:36 AM »
+1
I think it depends on the kid.  I got my grandson a bunch of HO sectional track and a couple of engines and some cars, that ran pretty well, but...his interest didn't last.  My sons also got a little HO scale layout I built for 'em, but...they wanted to run Dad's N-scale trains, so I hung up the HO scale layout and got them their own N-scale equipment, which they ran just fine on my N-scale layout.  The HO stuff got maybe two months worth of use???? 

My grandson was about 11 when I got him his starter set, and his dad is electrically informed and knows how to work wood...but computer gaming is all they do.  My sons, on the other hand, still love the N-scale model trains...especially my youngest, and run on my layout when they are in town...

Photo (1) - My two sons watching my Key FEF-2 pull a long reefer block on the club layout many years ago at one of the local shows:

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8569
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 09:51:56 AM »
+2
When my oldest was much younger, I got him a Kato N scale Amtrak set. Ran like a dream and came with Unitrack. We still have it. He had turned 8 the year we got it for him for Christmas. He had the dexterity and the maturity to take good care of it, and since it's Kato...it runs.

I'm sure an 11-year-old is more than OK with N scale.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8052
    • Conrail 1285

Cameron_Talley

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 11:29:54 AM »
I got into N Scale when I was either 9 or 10.  11 years old is absolutely fine. 

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
  • Respect: +316
Thomas

Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

carmelmodelrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 06:39:55 PM »
Thanks to all who replied.  The reference to Lombard Hobby was especially appreciated.

Carmelmodelrr

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8052
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2022, 08:44:03 PM »
+1
Lombard is a fantastic shop. One of my go-tos when visiting the Chicago suburbs.

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +363
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2022, 12:22:58 AM »
Lombard is a fantastic shop. One of my go-tos when visiting the Chicago suburbs.

Agreed, a top notch business and good group of guys from all accounts.
Doug