Author Topic: Questions to the 8K printing Gods  (Read 505 times)

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
Questions to the 8K printing Gods
« on: December 15, 2022, 09:30:48 AM »
So looking for guidance on how to best set these up to print
I recently purchased a Phrozen Sonic Mighty 8K
Using ChituBox as the slicer, or do you recommend some other slicer.

I have printed these with a AnyCubic Mono X, they come out but I would like better and hope the 8K will produce better end prints.

Should I print flat or rotate up (if so what angle would be best) I have tried flat on the Mono X, it was ok, a few failed, and at a 40 or so angle with lots of support, better end prints.

I purchased these 3D files from the designer, I am aloud to modify if I want and even sale them, they are STL files.
What would the great and powerful Gods of 3D printing suggest for these.

Thanks in advance.

Erock482

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
Re: Questions to the 8K printing Gods
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 10:50:48 PM »
So I would make two adjustments to how you have them oriented, assuming they will fit your machine.

1. Dont "Twist" them along the X and Y, keep them straight so you dont have any weird stepping in the sides due to the pixel pattern, if you do have to twist in the X and Y I would make sure you're at 45 degrees to get the least visible impact.

2. I would point the nose skyward, round shapes are hard to print in square pixels, but the best angle to get the least visible stepping is a function of layer height and XY Pixel size. This: https://www.rc87.blog/angle-calculator/ is a helpful tool to determine the optimal slope at which to get minimal artifacting from the pixel and layer lines. For example, I print on a mono X with 50um layer height, since the pixels are also 50um, the ideal angle there is calculated as 45 degrees. Generally I print flat to the plate as most of the stuff I print is rectangular and doesn't have nice curved features that need to be smooth.

so in short, square to the build plate, slope nose high at about 45 degrees. support the bottom with lots of medium/light supports and the back wall with light supports to help them break away cleanly. If sloping at 45 makes the back wall look too unpleasant, reduce the angle a bit

Wolf N Works

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 06:08:45 AM »
Thank you for the info, I will give it a shot

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 09:48:58 AM »
+2
I just want to know when the build thread on these starts, and when you will be selling shells . . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Wolf N Works

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2022, 02:44:38 PM »
As soon as I can