Author Topic: The B&O Delaware Avenue Branch  (Read 19780 times)

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
Re: The B&O Delaware Avenue Branch
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2022, 02:14:58 PM »
I was not planning for a blank backdrop. I just reached out to TrainJunkies to see if he could add another six feet to his NY skyline. That seems to be the closest commercial available. I have to start looking around to see if there are any color shot of Camden or NY Harbor from across the river to see if they can be stitched for a backdrop. I will need about 14ft.

As for the tanker, I would have to see if I can get the plans. I already have 1/175 plans for two Liberty Ships that I will be making the hulls for as soon as the balsa blocks get here. I will admit, I was going to go for the least resistance. I will make a waterline hull and vacuum mold it. I will have to do a front and rear half as my oven is not wide enough for a 33in hull. Besides, the ABS sheet I get is only 24in wide.

I actually looked at Peter's site first and $400 for a Liberty Ship kit is not feasible when in theory I could have up to 8 ships in port.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 02:32:17 PM by TrainCat2 »
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2022, 04:35:35 PM »
+2
Looks like I may have a back drop. TrainJunkies is working on extending this and removing some of the new buildings.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2022, 05:05:41 PM »
Good ol' NYC!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2022, 05:28:20 PM »
+1
I don't think that's gonna work Bob.

Camden, even in that era, does NOT look like Manhattan.

Take a look: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9469504,-75.1396734,3a,75y,107.28h,74.33t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAF1QipP4VinLeM0rvRLme3AZQiZw4XrVDQodvB-UQllw!2e10!3e11!7i3840!8i1920

The building density on that is WAY too high.

Dallas is closer, but still probably too much.

https://www.trainjunkies.com/trainjunkies-bigcitydallas1950s.html

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2022, 05:41:12 PM »
Any volunteers to take a panoramic that I can send to them to make one?

I have found nothing like the actual view that even comes close. I am up for suggestions.

On a note about the T2 Tanker, Peter said he has a scaled down T2 that would fit into the 30in I have available. He will make me a hull kit and I will do all of the superstructures for plans.
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2022, 07:46:35 PM »
What's the length you need again? 12'?

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2022, 09:35:39 PM »
Even a modern panoramic will not capture what was there in your time frame. The Jersey side of the river has changed drastically. The ship yards are gone the ball park and marina area in down town Camden are all new. And the huge junk and recycling area that takes up a good portion of the southern part of the Camden docks is not original. Even the area down towards Gloucester which I believe maybe across from your area is totally new almost all of New York Shipbuilding is long ago flattened or filled in.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2022, 09:47:53 PM »
Even a modern panoramic will not capture what was there in your time frame. The Jersey side of the river has changed drastically. The ship yards are gone the ball park and marina area in down town Camden are all new. And the huge junk and recycling area that takes up a good portion of the southern part of the Camden docks is not original. Even the area down towards Gloucester which I believe maybe across from your area is totally new almost all of New York Shipbuilding is long ago flattened or filled in.

This is all very true. I was going to try and "fake it" using what's there but I think you're right. This could be a VERY tall order.

Do you know of any places that MIGHT have a similar look and feel today? I was actually thinking maybe somewhere in Brooklyn or around the Port of NY/NJ.

TrainCat2

• Crew
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2022, 10:06:28 PM »
11ft along the back and 3ft up to the refinery (14ft total). From that point I can use industrial backgrounds since that would be looking south towards the navy yards. The sad part is the way back machine only works for the internet now.

https://heritagelocal.org/blog/navy-whistle has a good pic of the Philly Shipyard that might help

https://maps.app.goo.gl/bWvKYKhPXBMTvEJt7?g_st=ic Michael J. Doyle Fishing Pier has several good photos looking back at the Philly piers that could be Photoshopped in.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2022, 10:57:37 PM by TrainCat2 »
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2022, 10:33:35 PM »
Going to be honest, how noticeable will the buildings be with a wall of liberty ships in the foreground. Like you could probably refrence off Historic aerials and composite grey boxes and blobs close enough to be buildings.
-Al

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2022, 11:29:28 PM »
This is all very true. I was going to try and "fake it" using what's there but I think you're right. This could be a VERY tall order.

Do you know of any places that MIGHT have a similar look and feel today? I was actually thinking maybe somewhere in Brooklyn or around the Port of NY/NJ.

Truthfully no.  I have travelled up and down the eastern and southern seaboards for work and all that old waterfront industry is gone.  The best hope maybe to contact the Camden Historical Society who may have some waterfront pictures of the era. 

The New York Shipbuilding site is pretty good for some pictures of that waterfront area:  https://newyorkship.org/explore/

The Camden Maritime Museum might also be good:  https://www.camdenshipyardmuseum.org/home

They may be able to put you onto other places. 

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2022, 12:00:25 AM »
I wonder if https://www.shorpy.com/ or the Library of Congress would have some useful period images?
. . . 42 . . .

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +153

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2022, 04:06:39 AM »
+1
Find an old pic in B&W and use the free AI sites to colorize it.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2022, 07:59:42 AM »
I think we're overthinking this a bit on the backdrop. First, the river in this area is about a mile to a mile-and-a-half across. The Camden waterfront for the majority of space between the Ben Franklin Bridge and Walt Whitman (or prior to 1950s) was mostly rail yards and ferries between the two areas, with a few piers similar and then the Campbell's Plant towards the BFB. Behind all that were row homes which would be so low on the horizon behind your modeled piers, I am not sure they would be very visible anyways.

- Phil
- Phil