Author Topic: Glue for scratchbuilding styrene structures  (Read 1306 times)

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
Re: Glue for scratchbuilding styrene structures
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2022, 12:28:34 AM »
Until my last bottle runs out I’ve always used Testors liquid plastic cement (MEK according tot he label). It’s always worked really well for me and I’m not looking forward to it disappearing from the market. I’ve tried Tamiya but it’s a more viscous and leaves a residue on my work - I assume the ‘residue’ is the 11% ‘organic resins’ noted on the label. Is there another formulation I should try?

I also have some Plastruct cement with a white label on hand (dicloromethane), but I haven’t tried it yet.

I’m grieving for the loss of Testors - along other loss of the cement, I’m already missing their rattle cans of ‘Model Masters’ paints, as wells as the gloss and dull coats. Maybe my best option would be to find some hardware store MEK…

Geoff

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2022, 06:55:58 AM »
Adam Savage approved solution

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096T6OQK/?

Here is were I learned about it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvtGrhYk0I
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 08:37:44 AM by TrainCat2 »
Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +720
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2022, 07:50:07 AM »
Adam Savage approved solution

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0096T6OQK/?

That's dirt cheap considering how much we pay for the itty bitty bottles labelled for hobby use.  This is $20 for a PINT!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 09:54:06 AM by MK »

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2022, 09:47:17 AM »
I wonder if that smells better than the lacquer thinner I currently use!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2022, 04:41:02 PM »
Is Testors Liquid Cement being discontinued?  I wasn't aware of that.

As mentioned, MEK is an industrial solvent, and it is/was readily available in large (quart) containers in most hardware stores in the paint thinners sections. MUch cheaper than little Testors bottles. However due to the stricter environmental laws (especially in the Western USA), MEK is becoming hard to find, and is being replaced by 'MEK substitute" which is nothing like MEK when it comes to using it as plastic cement.  Here in Northeast USA, I can still finid MEK in hardware stores.  But the can of  MEK I own will likely last me for my lifetime.

Some lacquer thinners actually contain MEK in them.  As for the smell, we all have different preferences as to what smells bad.  MEK smell is usually less strong than an average lacquer thinner.  Keep in mind that every brand of lacquer thinner has slightly different formulation (and odor level).  I find some brands stinkier than others.  Being in the hobby for decades, I even discovered that even the same brand of lacquer thinner can change formula.  I used to prefer SCL brand, but few years ago it changed formula, now smelling worse than the older stuff.
. . . 42 . . .

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +256
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2022, 12:20:49 PM »
Is Testors Liquid Cement being discontinued?  I wasn't aware of that.

As mentioned, MEK is an industrial solvent, and it is/was readily available in large (quart) containers in most hardware stores in the paint thinners sections. MUch cheaper than little Testors bottles. However due to the stricter environmental laws (especially in the Western USA), MEK is becoming hard to find, and is being replaced by 'MEK substitute" which is nothing like MEK when it comes to using it as plastic cement.  Here in Northeast USA, I can still finid MEK in hardware stores.  But the can of  MEK I own will likely last me for my lifetime.

Some lacquer thinners actually contain MEK in them.  As for the smell, we all have different preferences as to what smells bad.  MEK smell is usually less strong than an average lacquer thinner.  Keep in mind that every brand of lacquer thinner has slightly different formulation (and odor level).  I find some brands stinkier than others.  Being in the hobby for decades, I even discovered that even the same brand of lacquer thinner can change formula.  I used to prefer SCL brand, but few years ago it changed formula, now smelling worse than the older stuff.

Oh, maybe I’m wrong about Testors liquid cement. My LHS is out and I just assumed that the end of Testors paint line meant ALL of Testors products would disappear. Looks like the cement is commonly available.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 12:30:45 PM by Angus Shops »