Author Topic: Working (for now) link to the Sergent Couplers 3D files download  (Read 1425 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
Working (for now) link to the Sergent Couplers 3D files download
« on: November 03, 2022, 10:34:53 PM »
+1
While Sergent Engineering and its website are gone, there is this link to an archive where it is still possible to download the 3D CAD files for the Sergent Couplers:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190911002535fw_/http://www.sergentengineering.com/SuperEC87_frame.htm

The download is under Instructions >> 3D Models

IDK how long this will remain active, but it would be interesting to see how they could be printed on a 3D printer.  Has anyone ever tried this?  The CAD files are in a .igs format, is there a way to convert to .stl?

Perhaps they could even be scaled down to N (or up to O, FTM),  even if only as a non-operating coupler.  :ashat:

Ed

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: Working (for now) link to the Sergent Couplers 3D files download
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 11:08:31 PM »
They’re gone?  I thought they were like the preeminent HO “scale” coupler.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 12:27:49 AM »
Thanks for the link, Ed.

I downloaded the files and ran one through the import function of TurboCAD. It looks like it imported with all of the vector information intact. I suspect any semi-current 3D CAD app will do it.

There are 38 files in all, with cryptic names. Looks like a project to see what's there if somebody was interested. I might try it, but I know already that my original Photon doesn't have the resolution to render the smaller bits; a 4K resin printer might be able to hack it.

Here's a screen capture of a MeshLab render of the STL file I created:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Erock482

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 01:54:11 AM »
I downloaded the files at one point, but was struggling with getting the files converted to a .stl and scaled correctly. Where you able to get the right scale?

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 02:14:23 AM »
Apparently. I measured the length of this part at 0.30", which should be about right for an HO coupler piece.

The file format is IGES, which is a mil-spec format designed to be vendor-independent, and it's been around for 40 years. Like I experienced, it should be easily imported in pretty much any 3D-capable CAD app with little fuss, in the intended final size.

I might mention that I did this with a real drafting app (TurboCAD Mac), not a freeware tool like SketchUp. The free tools, either web-based or downloadable, seem to me to be short on conversions to and from other formats.

JeffB

• Crew
  • Respect: +161
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 08:50:10 AM »
They’re gone?  I thought they were like the preeminent HO “scale” coupler.

Yeah, I'd like to know that too...  I have a few friends modeling in S scale narrow gauge that use those couplers and they look great.  It'd be a shame if they're out of business.

JB

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 09:32:59 AM »
+2
You can open the files using FreeCad   https://www.freecadweb.org/ which will allow you to save it as an .stl

Here is an example of the KatoPassTop_DLP file ..

However, I had no luck converting to a usable .stl model using freecad ..

Supposedly solidworks will import as well

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +542
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 01:33:54 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to know that too...  I have a few friends modeling in S scale narrow gauge that use those couplers and they look great.  It'd be a shame if they're out of business.

JB
A quick google search indicates that Sergent Engineering closed shop around June of this year and sold to Inventive Models.
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 02:49:39 PM »
For those foregoing the 3D printing route.  JL Innovation is going to make a Sergent style coupler.

https://www.facebook.com/JLInnovative

We are happy to announce we will be carrying Inventive Models Diecast couplers.  These are similar to the Sergent Engineering Couplers and work with them.
We are currently taking pre-orders on our website for both the 144 coupler bulk pack and we will be repackaging into a smaller 10 coupler pack as well.  All of these will be unassembled to begin with, but when we get them we will see how long it takes to assemble and set a price for that. 
The prices will be as follows:
10 Pack: $7.00
144 Pack: $90.00
Shipping for the 10 pack will be our flat rate shipping of $3.95. We have to confirm the weight when they get here, but we hope we will be able to ship the bulk packs for the same amount.
They hope to start production on them later this month.
You will need to enter your credit card information for shipping, but we will not be settling your card.  When we get them in stock we will send you an invoice that you can pay via credit card or paypal.
Link to the pre-orders are below, but please feel free to browse our site for the rest of our products.

To see the actual product.

https://jlinnovative.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=7&fbclid=IwAR01xUbJP3yTPF5KSEZFbzvoBslt6Q2mj3E6V-TW9Se3F6aUF6qjaiL31cI

Erock482

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 03:06:49 PM »
I'll have to take another stab at it, I was thinking I might be able to get these to 3d print fairly well, The only mystery was what size ball bearing they were using in them.

For those trying to decipher the file names, compare against the part numbers on Sergent's website to get you close. I think I've been able to pick out the ones for HOn3. I'll see if I can get them to print reliably on my mono X or if I really need to jump into the 8K printer game.

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 03:12:54 PM »
I'll have to take another stab at it, I was thinking I might be able to get these to 3d print fairly well, The only mystery was what size ball bearing they were using in them.

For those trying to decipher the file names, compare against the part numbers on Sergent's website to get you close. I think I've been able to pick out the ones for HOn3. I'll see if I can get them to print reliably on my mono X or if I really need to jump into the 8K printer game.

I still have a couple of un-assembled couplers that I could measure the size of the ball (as soon as I get a new battery for my caliper).  I've sent an email to JLInnovative to see if they are going to be offering the Sharon style anytime soon. 

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

Erock482

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 04:24:10 PM »
I still have a couple of un-assembled couplers that I could measure the size of the ball (as soon as I get a new battery for my caliper).  I've sent an email to JLInnovative to see if they are going to be offering the Sharon style anytime soon. 

Scott

That would be immensely helpful. IIRC They also come with a centering spring, I think whatever kadee provides with their 714 couplers would likey suffice. think you could do a comparison?

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2022, 01:30:51 AM »
I did a quick check w/a micrometer and the Sergent BB measures to 0.039"/0.994mm.   I only measured one, so IDK the variances.

https://jlinnovative.com/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=7&fbclid=IwAR01xUbJP3yTPF5KSEZFbzvoBslt6Q2mj3E6V-TW9Se3F6aUF6qjaiL31cI

Interesting, those look like the ones that Eric Xing (Inventive Models) sells on ebay; however those have some sort of odd ordering process:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144707626419

Looking thru the SergentEngineering users group on groups.io, it also looks like another person is ramping up to produce a Sergent clone in die-case metal:

https://groups.io/g/SergentEngineering/message/2705

Ed

Hawghead

• Crew
  • Respect: +323
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2022, 12:50:53 PM »
I guess ednadolski beat me to it, thanks I still hadn't gotten to the hardware store to get a new battery for my caliper.  The JLinovative couplers are made by Eric Xing, JLinovative are a distributor.  The guy on groups.io did some test castings but hasn't really done anything else, he's more into very large scale models and I don't think I'd hold my breath waiting for him to do any more with the couplers.

The spring in the "sergents" couplers are for centering.  The couplers are designed to be non-centering like the prototype, the spring just keeps some friction between the coupler and the mounting post so that the coupler will stay in the position you move it to, like if you needed to move the coupler to one side to couple to another car on a curve.  I don't have any Kaydee coupler springs so I can't do a comparison sorry.

Scott
There's a prototype for everything.
If you can't make it perfect, make it adjustable.
DCC is not plug-n-play.

ednadolski

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2022, 01:28:31 PM »
The spring in the "sergents" couplers are for centering.  The couplers are designed to be non-centering like the prototype, the spring just keeps some friction between the coupler and the mounting post so that the coupler will stay in the position you move it to, like if you needed to move the coupler to one side to couple to another car on a curve. 

I never install the springs, to me they don't add anything to the operation.  I don't think they contribute much to any 'slinky',  if the cars are really free-rolling then they can and will bounce at a very slow speeds anyways (like when starting or stopping) even with no springs in the couplers.  That's just because of minute differences in friction in the axle bearings.

I adjust the coupler swing friction by how much I tighten the coupler box (to a point).  One thing tho, some Athearn locos (like my Genesis GP9) have a coupler box that is slightly too thin for the Sergent shank, so I have to file down the shank to make it fit.

Regardless, I think when the Sergents are properly assembled and installed, they operate as well as anyone could ask (and FWIW they sure are a lot easier to see than scale-sized couplers in N scale).

Ed
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 01:30:30 PM by ednadolski »