Author Topic: Etched freight car ladder source?  (Read 557 times)

PJPickard

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
Etched freight car ladder source?
« on: February 13, 2023, 08:34:08 PM »
I was looking over the RPM Mini Kit post from a couple years ago and noted the ladders and also the stirrups.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=51516.msg699631#msg699631

Are these Gold Medal 160-25 ladders? Seen here in a current ebay auction?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374267484758

Who make the stirrups?

Thanks

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1243
    • Modutrak
Re: Etched freight car ladder source?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 09:11:51 PM »
Yes on the GMM ladder stock for the IC boxcar shown. They are nice etchings, though rung spacing is a little wide.

The stirrups are just 0.10 or 0.12 phosphor bronze wire from Tichy.

wvgca

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 09:26:52 PM »
i home made my ladders and stirrups out of round steel wire. i used a resistance welder to put them together  .. just an alternative ....

PJPickard

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 06:07:49 AM »
Thanks guys...I'm saving for a resistance unit. But I have to stop buying cars!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 02:12:00 PM »
i home made my ladders and stirrups out of round steel wire. i used a resistance welder to put them together  .. just an alternative ....

Welder?!   Like spot-welding?  It actually melts steel together?  :o
Or you you mean a resistance soldering unit where you solder the steel wire using solder and flux?
Also, I'm curious why steel?  Brass or phosphor bronze is much easier to solder and shape.
. . . 42 . . .

PJPickard

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023, 04:42:32 PM »
Did you say welder?

Behold my dream machine(I also do live steam)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4620
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023, 07:21:19 PM »
+1
LOL! Nice!  Everybody needs a mini arc welder!
. . . 42 . . .

wvgca

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 08:58:34 PM »
Welder?!   Like spot-welding?  It actually melts steel together?  :o
Or you you mean a resistance soldering unit where you solder the steel wire using solder and flux?
Also, I'm curious why steel?  Brass or phosphor bronze is much easier to solder and shape.
yes, it was a spot welder, it actually melted the steel wire , i got a large bundle of steel tie wire for little to nothing ...it used [up to] eighteen volts for charging and two capacitors slightly smaller than a coffee cup .. it didn't have a current gauge, just a voltmeter to determine the charge voltage ..and foot long silicone insulation test leads ..
the tie wire was the right size for ladders and steps, and it was definitely stiff enough, plus it was preweathered!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 09:02:42 PM by wvgca »

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +153
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 09:41:42 PM »
+1
Depending the era there is Trainworx

https://www.train-worx.com/?product=602

Or you can order GMM ladders from Gold Medal Models. 

From their website.

For Train Model PE orders - All orders must be sent via regular mail (with the exception of PayPal orders - see below) to the address located above, on the left. There are two ways to order your products.
1. You can use the blank form provided by clicking on the link at the upper left. Include Part Number, Description, Price, and Quantity.
2. When you're browsing through this site, you'll notice that all of the products listed are actually located on an order form itself along with every other product in that category. You can print that form out and fill in the 'Qty.' (Quantity) space on the far right. Any 'Qty.' space left empty will be disregarded.

All orders must be sent with payment. GMM accepts personal checks, cashier's checks, money orders or cash. U.S. Funds only. GMM is not set up for credit cards. Make all checks payable to : Gold Medal Models
Overseas Buyers : Cheques must have these three items : 1. Funds must be in U.S. Dollars; 2. Funds must be drawn on a U.S. Bank; 3. A computer-generated routing number must be visible along cheque's lower edge. If a check is sent to us that is lacking one or more of these items, it will be returned to you and your order will be delayed. If in doubt, use a postal money order.

NOTICE FOR CUSTOMERS ALL OVER THE WORLD: GMM NOW TAKES PAYPAL ORDERS! TO PLACE A PAYPAL ORDER, FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS:

NOTE: Due to new government regulations coming into effect on January 1, 2011, we will be limiting PayPal transactions to amounts of $20.00 or more effective on that date. All PayPal orders not meeting that threshold will be refunded immediately. Orders totaling less than $20.00 USD can be purchased with postal money orders, checks (domestic), bank cheques (outside USA), or U.S. currency. Be sure to use some form of secured mail service (certified, registered, etc.) when sending currency.

1. PayPal ordering is just as fast as credit card ordering and will allow you to greatly speed up the delivery of your GMM products. If you haven't already done so, you must first open your own PayPal account. To visit the PayPal home page, go to this site: PayPal.com

2. Add up the cost of all the items you wish to order. Next, add $2.00 to cover the PayPal fee. NOTE: Use only U.S. Dollars when ordering via PayPal.

Finally, add the shipping charge ($3.00 USD - U.S. Dollars - for USA, $12.00 for Canadian, or $12.00 for Mexican orders. Add $16.00 for air mail to all other countries.)

3. Enter your list of items in the "Notes" section of the on-line PayPal order form. If you cannot do this, send your written order to us via e-mail right after you send us your PayPal payment. NEVER use attachments - we cannot open many attachments for various reasons.

4. Send your completed order and payment to the same address you just used to contact us: goldmedl@rockisland.com

We normally ship on Mondays or Fridays only to save costs in fuel. Of course, holidays and other interruptions can delay this by a few days, but almost never more than one week. You should have your order no later than two weeks after your place your PayPal order, often much sooner.

Unfortunately, we're not able to accept other types of orders by e-mail or phone. We only accept non-PayPal orders via regular mail.