Author Topic: Formlabs  (Read 778 times)

PaulP

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
Formlabs
« on: October 02, 2022, 07:54:55 PM »
So I was gifted a FormLabs Form2 printer with cleaning station and curing station.
I currently have a couple filament printers but no nothing about resin printing.
First question is what do you use for a slicer program?
I see I can get one from FormLabs. would that be the place to start?
And anywhere other than utube to get info on how to begin?
I am getting Fusion360 figured out for the cad side.

Thanks
Paul

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
Re: Formlabs
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 08:43:49 PM »
I would sell the Form Labs and buy 10 regular resin printer with the loot.

PaulP

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 09:02:16 PM »
So its not worth even learning with this?
It came with a few resin cartridges so wont cost to try it?

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 10:09:32 PM »
Oh I didn't mean that. Just that they are very expensive to buy and operate. I never had one myself.

AlwaysSolutions

• Crew
  • Respect: +56
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 10:47:25 PM »
Yeah I think most of us won't have experience with it simply due to the price point.  Whomever gifted that to you thinks very highly of you, for sure.  It's a very nice printer but it does have an ecosystem that is mostly proprietary, so when you run out of resin they'll want you to buy their cartridges and will discourage you from buying the cheap stuff us schlubs use every day.  So, it's kind of like a Mercedes and we're all driving Chevy.  :D

Use their slicer to begin with.  I think it's called PreForm?  Since you're new to resin you're going to want the easy route first.  You'll find out what you don't like from the slicer and search for answers down the road, ultimately deciding you may use another slicer that has features PreForm does not.  But that's all after you start to figure out what's what.

If you love resin 3D printing like I do, and want more build area and faster print times - supplement your FormLabs with one of the printers that we're using and do your comparison.  You may find that these cheaper printers have more bang for your buck and buy a few more!  And, new features and advances keep coming every year.  It really is amazing how far the inexpensive printers have come in such a short time, similar to the FDM printers from 2012 vs 2018+.

Lastly, since the process the Form 2 uses is different than the MSLA printers, we may not be able to help in some or most cases. Like, I probably wouldn't know the first thing in trying to help troubleshoot a Form 2 print fail or a slicing problem.  There is some common ground but not a whole lot.  One thing we all enjoy though are sweet looking train prints from hi-res printers!!

Cheers -Mike

Erock482

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 03:45:26 PM »
I would definitely give the form 2 a run, especially if one dropped in my lap.

Use the formlabs software, it's set up with all of their inhouse resin profiles which eliminates most of the guess and check that can be inherent with determining printer settings. From a uniformity and ease of setup side, the formlabs is very much on track there.

The cost of consumables is quite daunting for a hobbiest especially at $150 a liter. However It does seem that the form 2 may still have an open mode allowing you to use non formlabs resin. and there is quite a following of people utilizing other brands of resin on their machines with some creative modifications.

The low force system they use is interesting, and I for one would love to have a machine of theirs to test to see if it actually makes an appreciable difference from the more typical style of resin printers.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 04:54:46 PM »
So if a liter is $150. I just bought 3 liters for $50 for my printer.

Plus on our machines the FEP is replaceable. On a Formlabs the FEP is part of the vat, you need to replace the whole thing.

samusi01

• Crew
  • Respect: +443
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 11:10:59 PM »
The local maker space/fab lab had a form 2 (maybe… don’t recall the hardware version at this point) and chose to stay with the most current production printer when they moved, as well as acquiring a fuse printer… I used the form labs software in concert with fusion 360 to print stuff. It worked well. I’d say use the hardware as long as you can and when some part fails, do the cost analysis at that point for repair or replacement.

PaulP

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 08:53:12 PM »
+1
Thanks for the info guys
I am going to get it hooked to my computer and give it a go
I will keep you posted with questions!