Author Topic: Lok Sound service or repair?  (Read 828 times)

MILWcoastdiv

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
Lok Sound service or repair?
« on: September 03, 2022, 03:06:19 PM »
Does anybody ever send out decoders to Lok Sound or anybody else that can repair them and any idea on cost?  Definitely out of warrantee so I'd be expecting to pay a fee naturally.  Not much luck with ESU thus far.  Had a brand new Atlas GP40 that needed to have the motor and board replaced which Atlas graciously took care of but I just received a used Intermountain SD40-2 that let the smoke out about 5 minutes into it's first run.  I installed a Lok Pilot I had on hand and she runs great. 

Thanks,
Mario

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4623
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Lok Sound service or repair?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 07:35:05 PM »
You mentioned "no luck" dealing with ESU.  What have you tried?  I assume you are in USA.  Here is contact info for their location in USA:

ESU, LLC
1304 Jordan Ave
MONTOURSVILLE, PA 17754

Telephone: +1 (570) 980-1980
Fax: +1 (866) 591-6440
matthew.herman@loksound.com
www.loksound.com

While I have not had to return any items for service/repair, I have heard many times that Matt is very responsive and helpful.
. . . 42 . . .

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 08:50:35 AM »
I attached the speaker wire to the track power wire by mistake once, and they were very accommodating.

MILWcoastdiv

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 09:12:24 AM »
Thanks Peteski!  Will contact during the week for sure.  I 'think' I had a new old model (Intermountain SD40-2 w Lok Sound) that I was speed matching on my test loop, she took off un responding to input and started to smell like burnt circuit board.  My Atlas new GP40 Lok Sound started acting up after about 5 or so minutes of run time not sure really what happened but Atlas replaced both the motor and board.  With the GP40 the symptoms started out by tripping my EB1 breaker and would surge.  Everyone on the forums faulted the mechanics of the chassis but it was literally brand new.  I should get a programmer  but I only have 3 Lok Sound units at the moment.

Thanks again for the contact info
Mario

Sumner

• Crew
  • Respect: +305
    • My Home Pages....
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 01:11:52 PM »
.....  I should get a programmer  but I only have 3 Lok Sound units at the moment.

Do you use DecoderPro?  If you can't get where you want there it is my understanding that you can use ESU's LokProgrammer software without the physical programmer to set up your CV's then using DecoderPro can change the decoder to those CV settings....

Sumner
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

MILWcoastdiv

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 11:00:31 PM »
Thanks Sumner, I'll definitely take a look.  I have your website pinned on my book marks, awesome stuff.

Thanks,
Mario

MILWcoastdiv

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 12:45:34 PM »
Well, I did mention that I haven't had much luck with ESU decoders BUT I did call them and said they would replace it for 45.00, just send a check with the bad decoder.  Beats 90-100.  Another example of great service for the hobby.  Thanks again for the contact

Mario

Sumner

• Crew
  • Respect: +305
    • My Home Pages....
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 06:02:41 PM »
I take it that it's a sound decoder?

Sumner
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

MILWcoastdiv

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 07:42:35 PM »
+1
Well I'm indebted to Peteski and ESU.  To say they provided excellent customer service would be an understatement.

Thanks!
Mario