Author Topic: Weekend Update 9/4/22  (Read 2915 times)

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
Re: Weekend Update 9/4/22
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 08:50:22 PM »
+26
Before….

After…

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 10:45:21 PM »
+2
It looks like the compartment has a horse stall parallel to the car body sides.  The fold down wall would facilitate loading and unloading (note the cleats).
Charlie Vlk

cbroughton67

• Crew
  • Respect: +1699
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 11:28:39 PM »
+31
This week’s project - Conrail / ex-Penn Central GP30 #2204. The model is a Kato-built Atlas GP30 offered in 1992. Added details include wire grab irons, photo-etched lift rings, MU hoses, Sinclair antenna, wire cut levers, signal control box, and Leslie S3LR horn. The last photo is the prototype for comparison.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Chris Broughton
MMR #650

Darwin was an optimist.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 01:55:52 AM »
+14
Late last weekend I completed painting of the new benchwork sections for Septimus, which are now ready for track and wiring:

On Thursday evening I presented eight models for judging to earn my NMRA AP Car Builders Certificate:

The requirement is for four operable cars which meet the NMRA's definition of super-detailed, and four cars which must be scratchbuilt and earn a Merit Award.  There must also be four different types of cars including a passenger car.  For the four super-detailed cars I presented a day coach, a wide vision caboose, a tank car and a woodchip car, all of which were built from kits or kit-bashed.  The four scratchbuilt cars included my two trailer flatcars, one of my woodchip cars, and a panel track car:

The models did their job in qualifying and I now await regional and national approval.  The process of preparing and presenting the models, and discussing them with the judges was enjoyable and rewarding.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 05:44:36 AM »
+23
Another animated N Scale figure...

Build: http://davidksmith.com/modeling/animation/project-68.htm

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3331
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 09:50:56 AM »
+8
Video update of my layout:

Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1199
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 10:02:52 AM »
+12
I spent a lot of time this week on fettling a design of a T scale FP7, focusing on the Blomberg trucks and headlight.  In non-modeling but train related news, I demoed a railcam for the Cincinnati Railroad Club based in Cincinnati Union Terminal;  the project is approved so look for a new webcam on YouTube in the near future. 

I did manage to get track down on the "Mile 7" half of the WP&Y layout, and settled on modeling Fraser, BC with it's siding and covered water tank on the other half.  It's a simple roundy-round layout, but it's 2x4 feet total and challenging enough for me, for now.   And will be a good spot to run the DL535E's.  Construction note: T gauge flextrack is a nasty beast, it really wants to curl up longitudinally (like a corkscrew).  Lots of T-pins were used got the job done.
Jesse

StewRRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 10:37:36 AM »
+11
Looking to add to the hopper/gon fleet for C&D loads.  7K Greenville hoppers that will be beat up to show their age. 

With a quick coat of can primer.

Sumner

• Crew
  • Respect: +304
    • My Home Pages....
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 12:19:21 PM »
+9
Continued on with the upper level over the ...

... east end of the layout before we left for Phoenix to help family members and a friend with health related issues.

....Using the risers, as explained ( HERE ) has worked out really well and makes it easy to make support changes as needed to either level.

In the image above the plywood span will come out later. There will be a high bridge/trestle in that area. The two main line tracks going in opposite directions on the bridge will come out of a tunnel to the right on the left side of the backdrop/divider there. At the other end of the bridge one track will go into a tunnel at the backdrop/divider that will be constructed there and the other line will swing away to the right and enter a tunnel there. This will be a narrower scene where the upper and lower bridges are between the two backdrops, When one looks past it they will see the coal mine complex with tracks coming and going to it from the far side of the layout.

Next I'll work on getting the divider/backdrop up.  The upper level will be in two sections on each side of the divider and I'll be able to remove them to put the hidden staging tracks and the hidden tracks to and from the mine complex in and make sure they seem to be working fine before I put the upper level back in place.  I can get to that track with the 10.25" clearance but I'll probably make it so with a little work I could remove the upper level at any time if so needed.

Index to this build on my site ( HERE )

Sumner
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 07:28:50 PM by Sumner »
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

danoh

• Respect: +8
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 03:13:12 PM »
+1
Went to that railroad show in Tacoma. Was a bit pricey for a one-day pass at $50.00. Bought a few items, that I didn't know I needed. (LoL)

I don't regret spending the 50 bucks.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5412
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2022, 07:39:23 PM »
+15
J

F

R

T

M

This old stuff is endlessly entertaining!
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2427
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2022, 09:27:21 PM »
+6
Layout room back to a bedroom and work begins on new layout location.

Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2022, 05:02:49 PM »
+14
Still working on the big turn in the corner this week.  Not sure how I'm going to tackle the road disappearing, but if I can figure out a way to mount the tunnel portal and make it look realistic, I'll go that route.  Open to any suggestions as well to make the road disappear into the backdrop. 

Also started ballasting and worked a little on the cement facility by adding some bushes, grass, and started "planting" the buildings.

Cheers,
Brian

« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 05:04:37 PM by flight2000 »
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2022, 05:25:59 PM »
Still working on the big turn in the corner this week.  Not sure how I'm going to tackle the road disappearing, but if I can figure out a way to mount the tunnel portal and make it look realistic, I'll go that route.  Open to any suggestions as well to make the road disappear into the backdrop. 

Also started ballasting and worked a little on the cement facility by adding some bushes, grass, and started "planting" the buildings.

Cheers,

Nice bridge scene! Scroll down to see the tunnel treatment.

http://lovethemtoyz.blogspot.com/2017/08/wile-e-coyote-acme-product-exploser-who.html
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun