Author Topic: Weekend Update 8/14/22  (Read 3035 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
Re: Weekend Update 8/14/22
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2022, 09:42:34 AM »
N scale

I’m guessing you’re interested in the CB&Q waycar, it was a resin kit, apparently not available anymore

https://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?threads/out-of-the-box-models-first-n-scale-kit-cbq-ne-12-caboose.105983/

I think I may have one of these kits somewhere on the project shelf.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

hegstad1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2022, 11:41:50 AM »
+21
Ties, walkways, and railings on the ramp for the coal dock this week.

Andrew Hegstad

Sumner

• Crew
  • Respect: +300
    • My Home Pages....
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2022, 12:14:22 PM »
+7
Started on the upper level track surface....

more ( HERE )

Sumner
Working in N Scale ---Modeling UP from late 40's to early 70's very loosely......

Under$8.00 Servo turnout Control --- 3D Printed Model RR Objects -- My Home Page

http://1fatgmc.com/RailRoad/RR Main/Link Page Menu.html

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2022, 12:53:10 PM »
+2

I am not sure if the .008" wire looks too heavy; I thought that going down to .006" wire might be too flexible.  I then brush painted the wires to see what that would look like: 

The crane is looking really good.  I have a suggestion for modeling the steel cables using brass rod:  Instead of black paint, use one of several available chemical brass blackening solutions.  Not only it will not add any thickness or blobs to the rod, it results in a dark slightly uneven color which would IMO look like the 1:1 cable.  And it is more durable than paint.

I used to use Blacken-It from  A-Line (Walthers), but several years ago @DKS  turned me onto a wide range of products from Jax Chemicals.  I ordered directly from them. Now I have about half a dozen of blackening solutions for various metals.  Micro Engineerig rail weathering solution is another alternative for a grungy color.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 12:55:07 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3527
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2022, 02:24:21 PM »
The crane is looking really good.  I have a suggestion for modeling the steel cables using brass rod:  Instead of black paint, use one of several available chemical brass blackening solutions.  Not only it will not add any thickness or blobs to the rod, it results in a dark slightly uneven color which would IMO look like the 1:1 cable.  And it is more durable than paint.

I used to use Blacken-It from  A-Line (Walthers), but several years ago @DKS  turned me onto a wide range of products from Jax Chemicals.  I ordered directly from them. Now I have about half a dozen of blackening solutions for various metals.  Micro Engineerig rail weathering solution is another alternative for a grungy color.

Thank you very much for your suggestion; I would not have thought of that.  I will see what the LHS has.  I have seen the ME rail solution before. 
Can these products also be applied with a brush?
Can you recommend a specific Jax product for soft brass wire?

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2022, 02:32:14 PM »
P.S.  Available locally for about $12.00 a bottle so worth a try!  Looks like it can be brushed or dipped.  They list a Black for brass, etc. so will try that.

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

PiperguyUMD

• Crew
  • Respect: +1419
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2022, 02:55:11 PM »
+7
JFCTM. I’ve watched 1218 traverse the WNC loops, I was there when 611 stalled at the top of Saluda, and I’ve ridden a double header up Cumbres Pass. 2102 leaving Port Clinton in a hurry is quite possibly the best stack talk I’ve ever witnessed.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2022, 04:31:11 PM »
+1
P.S.  Available locally for about $12.00 a bottle so worth a try!  Looks like it can be brushed or dipped.  They list a Black for brass, etc. so will try that.

Tim

You're welcome Tim.  Just make sure the metal is perfectly degreased as oil or grease residues will prevent the chemical action from occurring.  Lacquer Thinner is a perfect degreaser, but Naphtha or 91-99% Isopropyl Alcohol will also work.  If during blackeninig precess some bright metal areas remain that means there is still some oily residue left.

I use https://jaxchemical.com/shop/jax-black/ or https://jaxchemical.com/shop/jax-brown-black/ . I still have the A-Line Blacken-It, and Micro Engineering Rail Weathering solutions. They give similar finish to the Jax blackeners.
. . . 42 . . .

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2022, 05:32:45 PM »
+3
Just a little word of caution: metal blackeners are poisonous. Handle and use this stuff with great care. I rinse off the blackened metal with alcohol afterwards, and I wash my hands a lot.

BCR 570

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2022, 05:46:09 PM »
+1
Thank you DKS and Peteski; will exercise due caution.  I have alcohol for de-greasing.  I am thinking that I can stain the wires after forming but before installation which would solve some problems I encountered when painting.

I got the black for brass at a local supplier so will give this a try.

Thanks again,

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +319
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2022, 07:32:31 PM »
+9
Looking East on Lowry avenue

@mplsjct Well done, you have definitely captured the feel of Northeast. I especially like the bridge, instantly felt like I've driven under that one many times. Looking forward to more!

Figured I've been posting a lot lately (at least for me) and haven't posted any modeling lately. Picked up on weathering some power again, think I started these well over a year ago. The F might be pushing 3 years...

A quick blur-o-vision shot but these are very much in progress. Another VO (4-stacker 939 this time), the first of many GP9's, and a pumpkin F. Utilizing oil fades and pin washes on the VO and GP. I like the fades that oils produce but the pin washes have been a pain for this acrylic painter. Have some Tamiya panel liner I'd like to try on the next one, and depending how that goes I might just go back to my comfort zone with acrylics. Flat coat and powders are the next step.

Excellent work all around this week!  8)

Lucas

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +391
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2022, 09:00:11 PM »
@mplsjct Well done, you have definitely captured the feel of Northeast. I especially like the bridge, instantly felt like I've driven under that one many times. Looking forward to more!

Figured I've been posting a lot lately (at least for me) and haven't posted any modeling lately. Picked up on weathering some power again, think I started these well over a year ago. The F might be pushing 3 years...

A quick blur-o-vision shot but these are very much in progress. Another VO (4-stacker 939 this time), the first of many GP9's, and a pumpkin F. Utilizing oil fades and pin washes on the VO and GP. I like the fades that oils produce but the pin washes have been a pain for this acrylic painter. Have some Tamiya panel liner I'd like to try on the next one, and depending how that goes I might just go back to my comfort zone with acrylics. Flat coat and powders are the next step.

Excellent work all around this week!  8)

Lucas

Thanks, glad to hear I’m not the only acrylic painter too.

Terry
I’m not here to argue

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2022, 12:43:23 AM »
I think I may have one of these kits somewhere on the project shelf.
I would like a couple.  Went to Track 29 FB page..  would really like some wood NE waycars but could use these.  NE-13 EV are out of my era (pre-1958) but at least the first batch of NE-12s made it under the wire.   Just have to figure if one would get orange paint (ugh!).
Charlie Vlk

keeper

• Crew
  • Gichi-Gami Railroad
  • Respect: +316
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2022, 10:18:05 AM »
+6
Installed an ESU LokPilot 5 micro DCC with Next18 plug in my F40PH Metra on top of the original pc board. In addition to the white and red lights at the front, I added a white LED at the rear.

Thomas
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 10:50:47 AM by keeper »
Thomas

Ageing is inevitable - maturity is optional.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2022, 02:17:13 PM »
I would like a couple.  Went to Track 29 FB page..  would really like some wood NE waycars but could use these.  NE-13 EV are out of my era (pre-1958) but at least the first batch of NE-12s made it under the wire.   Just have to figure if one would get orange paint (ugh!).
Charlie Vlk

Charlie @ncbqguy is this what you are looking for?
Brian

Way of the Zephyr