Author Topic: Who are the major on-line N-scale dealers these days?  (Read 2487 times)

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +561
Re: Who are the major on-line N-scale dealers these days?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2022, 10:28:45 PM »
I wonder if I am still banished from N Scale Supply. Years and years ago I ordered two used freight cars and when they arrived they had been so tightly wrapped in the bubble wrap that each had a broken coupler. I sent him an email as an FYI to let him know. I wasn’t asking or expecting anything.  He credited me back a few bucks per car. Later the next week I placed another order on something that newly arrived. Item showed in stock for several weeks, no order, no response to my emails, just completely ghosted.  I had sold quite a lot of my excess inventory to him over a couple of years prior. Oh well!

Yes, I am also banned by Nscalesupply.  Frankly, it isn't a problem, I can just get a friend to order for me if I ever really need anything from there.  But, I haven't bothered to do that so far (years).

He does have a well organized website, so I sometimes visit that to figure out some availability questions.  But he is easy to tick-off, and sometimes is not able to get the things listed.  Last I dealt with him, his prices were competitive with other places like MBK, sometime a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower.  But, both have probably changed since my last order.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2022, 12:44:26 PM »
I buy almost exclusively from MBK now. I get free shipping and amass points for future discounts. I found N Scale Supply prices to soften the blow of being outside looking in.  Lol. I order from Hog Trains also, they have one one lone outstanding preorder.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2022, 01:16:33 PM »
Most of my pre-orders go through Fifer Hobby.  I have found them easy to work with, and on a couple occasions, they've gone out of their way to find me things, like MTL undecs, that are not commonly stocked by many vendors.

www.fiferhobby.com

And whenever I need something that I am sure someone made sometime, but isn't on the current pre-order list or no one seems to stock, my go to is Des Plaines Hobbies. It always amuses me to see things (often DPH own products) on eBay being sold at 3 times MSRP as "rare and out of production" that are currently available at DPH, and while they may be "MSRP" are based on the MSRP of 5 or 6 years ago. Also very worthwhile to sign up for their mailing list, as they have several flash sales over the course of the average year, where most of the inventory is on sale.  And sometimes category sales- they currently have all their used books at 20% discount.

www.desplaineshobbies.com
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2022, 01:41:01 PM »
I like Lombard Hobby for pre-orders. They offer the highest discount to preorders and fulfill them before they are displayed in the store or post to their website.
Very easy to submit and there is no risk.
https://lombardhobby.com/pre-order/

Also, when the preorder arrives you can choose to have them email or call you. The automated email is great because you can just click the link and the preorder is added to the online cart. I can shop around for a few other things, even for a few days, and then check out. Saves shipping multiple packages.

Paradise275

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2022, 06:05:13 PM »
Is Feather River still in business?

Rick

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2022, 06:29:09 PM »
Unfortunately, no. I miss Chuck.

A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
. . . 42 . . .

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2412
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

chuck geiger

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2022, 10:29:21 PM »
Chuck Geiger

NSEGeorge

• Crew
  • Respect: +77
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2022, 06:58:22 PM »
Boston and Albany is David Hobbs place. He is at every National N Scale Convention, and does a lot of other shows as well. An earnest fellow.

chuck geiger

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2022, 07:08:39 PM »
Talked to him from NMRA and he's great. He is taking care of a track order for me. Has the Atlas Turnouts and getting the ME Flex.
Chuck Geiger

spr1955

• Crew
  • Respect: +217
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2022, 10:55:56 AM »
Yes, I am also banned by Nscalesupply.  Frankly, it isn't a problem, I can just get a friend to order for me if I ever really need anything from there.  But, I haven't bothered to do that so far (years).

He does have a well organized website, so I sometimes visit that to figure out some availability questions.  But he is easy to tick-off, and sometimes is not able to get the things listed.  Last I dealt with him, his prices were competitive with other places like MBK, sometime a bit higher, sometimes a bit lower.  But, both have probably changed since my last order.

Well it is good to know I am not the only one banished.  Got banished over a discussion on inventory.  He will push that button in a heartbeat.  But plenty of other sources depending on what you are looking for. Agree with most of the posts already.

Dave P

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2022, 04:17:11 PM »

Well it is good to know I am not the only one banished.  Got banished over a discussion on inventory.  He will push that button in a heartbeat.  But plenty of other sources depending on what you are looking for. Agree with most of the posts already.

I have wondered the legality of taking a person’s credit card and personal information and failing to complete a transaction of a business is able.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2022, 06:12:52 PM »
Two other good ones are hiawathahobbies and Nicholas smith trains.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2022, 06:34:19 PM »
Two other good ones are hiawathahobbies and Nicholas smith trains.

I do enjoy visiting Nicholas Smith Trains when I visit my dad.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr