Author Topic: Amazon Cordless Airbrush with small USB compressor  (Read 1273 times)

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2412
Amazon Cordless Airbrush with small USB compressor
« on: August 04, 2022, 09:27:23 PM »
What do we think of these, made for cake decorating and make up application? Using super thinned paint like Boomer
talks about, would they work for weathering?

https://tinyurl.com/yfray43j
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

wvgca

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Re: Amazon Cordless Airbrush with small USB compressor
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 09:43:22 PM »
+1
looks interesting ... there seem to be two paint reservoirs with it, but i couldn't find the size of them ??

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 10:19:01 PM »
+2
Based upon the research I did a few months ago on cordless airbrushes, I’d recommend that you walk away.  The complaints I saw included that the paint had to be thinned so much it became a mere wash.  Perhaps fine for weathering, but it seems silly to buy an airbrush that would still require you to buy a second airbrush to shoot paint.  Just buy the real airbrush and do paint and washes.

Hope this helps,
DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

chuck geiger

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 09:38:32 AM »
That's what the reviews said. Perfect for make up and cakes. What about lower end units and compressors on Amazon? The bigger the
prices the better the review stars I saw. Duh!
Chuck Geiger

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 09:45:23 AM »
+2
That's what the reviews said. Perfect for make up and cakes. What about lower end units and compressors on Amazon? The bigger the
prices the better the review stars I saw. Duh!

There is an old adage which usually applies to tools:  You get what you paid for.  :) 
. . . 42 . . .

chuck geiger

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 10:18:11 AM »
Good point...I watched a YOU TUBE video on Harbor Freight and that's what the narrator said. Buy non operational
tools and components there, but not working or moving units.
Chuck Geiger

chuck geiger

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 10:20:01 AM »
But I have a ten dollar "Dremel type" rotary tool I bought at HF with a million accessories and it's held up well for two years.
Chuck Geiger

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 10:28:33 AM »
+3
I don't (and won't) own one of those cordless airbrushes.  I have used them a lot, however.  My other seasonal hobby/job is as a manager with a haunted attraction production company, in CT.  I am a trained SPFX makeup artist as well.  We tried these cordless airbrushes and while some folks liked them, I found them to be clumsy to hold.  The makeup has to be thinned and they are really only good for shading.  It is difficult to use in some areas due to the size.  I think painting track or any layout surface that you can't maneuver around would be difficult to impossible. 

I have two double action airbrushes that I use for both of my hobbies and with care they last for years.  One Iwata Eclipse and one Paasche.

While you definitely get what you pay for, but would be ok getting an inexpensive double action airbrush if you are just doing weathering, or painting rails, etc.   I would highly recommend getting a lightweight, portable compressor for doing work on the layout.  They deliver a fairly consistent 20 - 25 psi, which I find to be optimum for model painting.  Mine runs very quiet and does not vary in pressure, plus I can place it on the layout where I am working.  It only turns on when you depress the airbrush trigger.  Something like this one from micromark:

Amazon also has some inexpensive double action airbrush and mini compressor bundles.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:06:30 AM by Pomperaugrr »

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7962
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 10:42:31 AM »
+1
I don't (and won't) own one of those cordless airbrushes.  I have used them a lot, however.  My other seasonal hobby/job is as a manager with a haunted attraction production company, in CT.  I am trained in SPFX makeup artist as well. 

Whoa! That's cool.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 11:22:30 AM »
+2
There is an old adage which usually applies to tools:  You get what you paid for.  :)
My favorite is a variation on that saying, one I heard 50 years ago from a 70-something year old cabinet maker who told me, when buying tools, to figure out the highest price you are willing to pay, and then buy the tool that is a little more expensive than that.

Overall, that has served me well over my lifetime, although I do take advantage of the occasional special pricing and auctions for old power tools.

Luckily for me, my Mom had the same philosophy.  When I got that job 50 years ago, she gave me a hammer. 50 years, and thousands of pounds of nails later, I still have it, still use it on my retirement household projects.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Rivet Miscounter

• Crew
  • Respect: +363
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 11:31:14 AM »
+1
This cordless airbrush actually appeals to me.   I don't currently have a good/easy setup for airbrushing, and this seems like it could help given most of the stuff on my current "airbrushing to-do" list is weathering.

I don't love the price though, so I'll just place it in a list for now.   Focusing on getting the layout going, and it's my son's senior year so I won't have a lot of free time for the next 8-10 months or so.   If it dips in price during that time maybe I'll give it a shot. (no pun intended)

And, that lightweight portable compressor is also of interest.   Lots of good suggestions here IMHO.  (and those about getting what you pay for with tools)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:34:33 AM by Rivet Miscounter »
Doug

Steveruger45

• Crew
  • Respect: +524
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 11:54:34 AM »
+4

There’s another old adage that is often appropriate too:  You will remember the quality long after you have forgotten the price. :)
Steve

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 03:17:32 PM »
Also why is everything USB? What am I gonna plug that into?   :?

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 03:28:57 PM »
Also why is everything USB? What am I gonna plug that into?   :?

Apple products have a USB that plugs into a cube that is a wall plug.  Do they have generic plugs like that to work with any USB plug?  If so, turn it into a wall plug.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!