Author Topic: CMR Printed Freight Cars N and now Z  (Read 2851 times)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: CMR Printed Freight Cars N and now Z
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2022, 09:18:27 PM »
Things cooled off enough to risk it. After two days in the sun:

It has some work to be done in priming and the bottom needs to be sanded. And clearly it needs a ride height adjustment. But overall I’m happier then I was last week

Now to find decals…
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2040
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2022, 08:54:29 AM »
I've worked with several CMR cast resin locomotive shells, the biggest problem they've had (and still do) is that you can't cast or print handrails.  Well, that's turned into a nice little sideline for me this year, I think I've done about a dozen or so soldered brass handrails.   The only thing I've seen with those is most are clearly knockoffs of somebody else's shell as a master, and the resin shrinks just a hair, making it difficult to get them back on a stock frame without some modification of something.   But surfaces are excellent and the end results equal to any styrene shell.

The RP printed FUD resolution has greatly improved from Shapeways, but man, that stuff is BRITTLE, it's like working with glass.  But too many designers have made no attempt to design to a functional mechanism, and if you're trying to 'fix' one to fit a frame, good luck.

I've had several printed resin shells too, some with warping, some equally brittle, and a memorable print of an EMD engine block that reminded me of a Rollo candy, all soft in the middle, completely liquid.

I know with mine I've stuck with my cast resin after an experiment with Shapeways, quality wasn't bad but you can't make any money that way, it's an exercise in ego-building.   My son has gotten quite good in resin printing, but his cost factors are really high and he's on his third printer, with hundreds of hours of modifications and tuning to get the good results he has. 

80% of the cost in my kits isn't the shell, it's the photoetched metal detail parts, and you can print anything you want and you still need those.

CMR decals have been a mixed bag, good print and color quality, but to get a 'white' or light-colored decal they really pile on the layers to the point it's a battle to get them to seat (bubbles, wrinkles, or just falling off), but only on a stripe or a wide section, usually not lettering.   I had to have several sets redone by them.

I just got a printed resin 85' ATSF mail container car that is truly a BIG resin print, and the containers were  printed solid as part of the car they are on.   I was skeptical about possible internal curing or warpage issues, but it came really well done.   So it can be done, and done right.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 09:10:38 AM by randgust »

Jesse6669

• Crew
  • Respect: +1199
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2022, 10:21:02 AM »
you can't cast or print handrails.  Well, that's turned into a nice little sideline for me this year..
For my T (1:450) and M (1:300) scale I etch handrail sets.  With half-etch you can do a pretty nice job even in N scale I reckon--but it is a long turn around and you better have good artwork! 

The RP printed FUD resolution has greatly improved from Shapeways, but man, that stuff is BRITTLE, it's like working with glass. 
Absolutely that FUD stuff is super brittle.  I got used to it, but after using my new 8K resin printer, I'm not using Shapeways again unless it's for metals, or they up their game somehow.  The 8K printers--Phrozen and others--are really the line of demarcation for me.  More flexible resins are available as well--I tested one (TGM-7) that basically allows bending the print 45 degrees without snapping. I'm using it for frames and gears.  The Aqua 8K resin that came with the printer is excellent all-around, and I'm using most of the time.  It is far more sturdy than Shapeways FUD and the detail is .. "chef's kiss"!

CMR decals have been a mixed bag, good print and color quality, but to get a 'white' or light-colored decal they really pile on the layers to the point it's a battle to get them to seat (bubbles, wrinkles, or just falling off), but only on a stripe or a wide section, usually not lettering.   I had to have several sets redone by them.
I've used CMR and they have some good decals;  they have resized them to 1:450 on request, which is appreciated.  I also like Fusion Scale Graphics (formerly SwitchLine).  It's a CMYKW printed decal but does a really nice job in my experience.  There's a guy in the UK I want to try out sometime--Railtec-- who does screen printing iirc.  Supposed to be really excellent quality decals, but I can't vouch from experience yet.

Jesse

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +993
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2022, 11:40:21 AM »
I've used CMR and they have some good decals;  they have resized them to 1:450 on request, which is appreciated.  I also like Fusion Scale Graphics (formerly SwitchLine).  It's a CMYKW printed decal but does a really nice job in my experience.  There's a guy in the UK I want to try out sometime--Railtec-- who does screen printing iirc.  Supposed to be really excellent quality decals, but I can't vouch from experience yet.

Jesse
I didn't know that Fusion Scale Graphics had taken over from Switchline.  When I contacted Switchline (just before they went offline) about out of stock decals they didn't say a word about this.  This is good news!
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.