Author Topic: Congrats to Keith Kohlmann  (Read 1346 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
Congrats to Keith Kohlmann
« on: June 30, 2022, 03:19:25 AM »
+2
I was perusing the recent issue of Model Railroading and noticed the Kalmbach ad for Keith's new book Model Realistic Freight Car Loads.  Normally I am not a blind purchaser in the name of supporting the cause, but since I am a fan of Keith's work and he's a TRW regular and fellow N scaler, I will definitely be advance ordering a copy sight unseen.  Congrats on this accomplishment, Keith.

On a sadder note, I can't believe MR is only 65 pages this month.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 03:23:31 AM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jim Starbuck

• Crew
  • Respect: +2099
Re: Congrats to Keith Kohlmann
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 07:46:13 AM »
+1
I’ve been enjoying my copy.  Very well researched.
It’s an interesting topic with lots of modeling ideas.
Modutrak Iowa Division
Modutrak.com
Better modeling through peer pressure

muktown128

• Crew
  • Respect: +99
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 08:42:58 AM »
+1
I just re-upped my subscription to MR last week using the $29.99 special offer.  I let is lapse a few years ago.  65 pages is pretty lean.  I remember back in the day when issues were close to 150 pages...

Scott

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8140
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 10:44:23 AM »
+1
I just re-upped my subscription to MR last week using the $29.99 special offer.  I let is lapse a few years ago.  65 pages is pretty lean.  I remember back in the day when issues were close to 150 pages...

Scott

Yeah, but 10 of those pages were just ads for Trainworld.

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 10:52:07 AM »
+1
I’m also a fan of Keith, I just ordered a copy.

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1954
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 09:29:36 PM »
I was perusing the recent issue of Model Railroading and noticed the Kalmbach ad for Keith's new book Model Realistic Freight Car Loads.  Normally I am not a blind purchaser in the name of supporting the cause, but since I am a fan of Keith's work and he's a TRW regular and fellow N scaler, I will definitely be advance ordering a copy sight unseen.  Congrats on this accomplishment, Keith.

On a sadder note, I can't believe MR is only 65 pages this month.

Oh, Keith K. is on here? Love his work! What's his TRW handle?
Otto K.

pedro

• Crew
  • Respect: +334
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 10:59:18 PM »
+1

Scott

I believe a forensic analysis would reveal that the page count of content is close to the same; it’s the advertising that’s changed.
Print media lives and dies with advertising, not subscribers. I happen to have a 1988 issue in front of me right now. It is 182 pages. The “At the Throttle” editorial appears on page 67. Granted, there are news items, recurring columns and reviews dispersed throughout, but the main articles end on page 116. 49 pages? And that 49 pages also includes advertising.

Just food for thought…

Snark45

• Crew
  • But Dad, don't we EAT the antelopes?
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 11:24:23 AM »
Forget MR thread drift.

Just bought Keith's book - $21.99 on Amazon - delivery tomorrow to NJ.

Regards, harry

chuck geiger

• Crew
  • Las Piedras Railroad - Destination Desert
  • Respect: +2497
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 01:34:08 PM »
And in the 60's America's Hobby Center.
Chuck Geiger
provencountrypd@gmail.com

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 02:52:40 PM »
My copy of Keith's book is at the LHS waiting for me to pick it up this weekend.  If it rains on the 4th as predicted I'll have a great book to stay in with.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4682
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 03:29:03 PM »
And in the 60's America's Hobby Center.

'60s? I only started subscribing to MR Mag in the mid-80s and AHC still had their large ads in there. I bought bunch of things from them over the phone (dealing with rude order takers).
. . . 42 . . .

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1003
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 03:52:59 PM »
'60s? I only started subscribing to MR Mag in the mid-80s and AHC still had their large ads in there. I bought bunch of things from them over the phone (dealing with rude order takers).
I went to their store in Manhattan once, in the 1970s.  Just as rude in person.  Gotta love New York.
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2125
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 03:54:27 PM »
congrats

Richie Dost

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 09:11:26 AM »
I believe a forensic analysis would reveal that the page count of content is close to the same; it’s the advertising that’s changed.
Print media lives and dies with advertising, not subscribers. I happen to have a 1988 issue in front of me right now. It is 182 pages. The “At the Throttle” editorial appears on page 67. Granted, there are news items, recurring columns and reviews dispersed throughout, but the main articles end on page 116. 49 pages? And that 49 pages also includes advertising.

Just food for thought…

Personally I think the content of the older mags was better even with the heavy emphasis on advertising. I recently got given a few of the 2020 era MR's having not had my subscription for about 10 years now.

The page layout is awful, the font/typesetting is weird and despite being a 3 part series on freight cars of the 70's, something that is extremely relevant to my interests and desire to understand what types of cars I should be collecting to eventually run I didn't actually feel like there was any real value in car X was introduced in 1970's ran until 2000's-ish. In the older MR's that would have been 1 issue of content not 3 parts and there would have been more detail to drill down on.

It's like new MR is we can't offend SPF's by having any Santa Fe specific content on the Upper Black Stump NM. branch with any level of detailed history or why your would want to model it, but we also can't offend the Santa Fe modellers by, I dunno, running a 5 page spread with the technical history of the South Horsehoe Vanderbilt Sux PA. tower complete with full drawings and period image of a K4 on varnish. So we get entry level how to build a tower for your railroad from a Walters kit and yeah you might want to look into how your chosen prototype did anything but don't expect us to commit to anything.
Regards
Tony A