Author Topic: Scaletrains acquires Fox Valley Models  (Read 4588 times)

kscessandriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
Re: Scaletrains acquires Fox Valley Models
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2022, 02:49:59 PM »
I’m pretty certain it was 2017. The Inflation Calculator says a $90 locomotive in 2017 would be worth $107.32 today. Keep in mind these ES44’s will have the details factory installed as well.

Exactly, seeing the price they have for them at pre-order, I don't think they're a bad value for what they want.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2022, 02:55:47 PM »
I have yet to see one of their "select retailers" have a lower price than the preorder price (which in reality is nothing more than a falsely labeled MSRP) listed on ST.  An example is Lombard who I push all my buying through now sent out the preorder notice for the new ST locos.  Their preorder price is the same as ST with no discount.  It really offers no benefit to order from those select retailers.  I like you don't really care much for their sales strategy.

That's one of the things I think is strange.  ST price is same as their retailer.  Who makes the money ???? 

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2022, 02:57:07 PM »
Also, it's not 2009 anymore and you can't go back in time and get something from then.

It's 2022. If you want a new GEVO, it's these or Kato.

Shaggy170

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2022, 03:02:35 PM »
I'm excited to see where this goes. I love both my FVM and my ST engines. The couplers aside, they all run smooth and look great. MY ST engines (C39 and Dash 9s) need to have the couplers swapped but that is my only "issue" with them, though I haven't had problems with the stock couplers so I haven't swapped them yet.

Those RD-4 hoppers are calling my name for this run.

Can't wait to see what they bring next. If they do a new run of GP60/GP60M/GP60B's, I might be in trouble. Need an ABBA set of SF warbonnets and BNSF H3's.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2022, 03:17:17 PM »
+1
This is great news IMO.  FVM has struggled these past few years and I think the ST crew can get product to the market.  My FVM and ST locos are all great.  Maybe FVM will be the "budget" line with limited or user-add details, while ST continues to deliver fully detailed models.  Regardless, it means more n scale tooling will see use and I'm good with that.

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1560
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2022, 03:25:43 PM »
ST price is same as their retailer.  Who makes the money ????

Manufacturers who sell direct to the public typically charge full list price so as to not undercut their retailers.

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1560
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2022, 03:29:00 PM »

So, all of Red Caboose and Fox Valley stuff is now under the umbrella of Scale Trains.

~Ian

If I understand Tom L's post correctly Red Caboose, Deluxe Innovations, and Centralia Car Shops and not going to Scale Trains.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2022, 04:42:00 PM »
I am fine with it. A company with great products that has largely be absent from the marketplace is selling to a company who will now produce the products and get them to market. If they want to sell directly to the consumer at a discounted street price so be it. I have no qualms buying direct from them. Brick & mortar shops are few a far between for most customers it seems. Also from an n scale perspective most hobby shops attitudes and customer treatment adds little to no value, especially when they charge full MSRP. A fair price discount and fast shipping and I am a happy camper.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2022, 04:46:28 PM »
The RD4's look like a real bargain - very interested in the TILX scheme as they ran in the east at least part of the time.  A train of them and a train of mixed NS gons and hopper might satisfy my coal hauling needs.

The FVM boxcars all need some tweeking on ride height - but that can't be too hard.

On the Red Caboose stuff - there has got to be a way to fix the Centerbeam height - that could be a huge seller if some issues were fixed.

My BLI ES44AC's are still the closest to NS practice so unless ST/FVM does some tooling changes, little interest there.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 04:48:58 PM by ljudice »

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2022, 04:48:08 PM »
If I understand Tom L's post correctly Red Caboose, Deluxe Innovations, and Centralia Car Shops and not going to Scale Trains.

Yeah I hadn't seen that yet.....

I didn't even realize CCS was part of Fox Valley....  I had an idea that the FVM Intermodal line was an expanded line of DI tooling, but it never seemed to get out of the planning stages.

So all the stuff Mfg'd by Intermountain... is staying with Intermountain..  :x
~Ian

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +319
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2022, 05:00:06 PM »
So Scale Trains has the Milwaukee ribside boxcars and cabooses? Not that I need more but this is great news 8)

Lucas

oakcreekco

• Crew
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2022, 05:18:40 PM »
I am fine with it. A company with great products that has largely be absent from the marketplace is selling to a company who will now produce the products and get them to market. If they want to sell directly to the consumer at a discounted street price so be it. I have no qualms buying direct from them. Brick & mortar shops are few a far between for most customers it seems. Also from an n scale perspective most hobby shops attitudes and customer treatment adds little to no value, especially when they charge full MSRP. A fair price discount and fast shipping and I am a happy camper.

Agreed. My feelings exactly.

JMHO, but the biggest "detail" on any loco is quality control, at all levels. Consistency in operation and performance should be a given. It's not.

A quality drive and shell wins my wallet.
A "western modeler" that also runs NS.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2022, 05:55:49 PM »
+1
I am also looking to support any company who builds and delivers N scale on a regular stint. Scale Trains, Broadway Limited come to mind for the smaller players. 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2022, 06:51:06 PM »
The RD4's look like a real bargain - very interested in the TILX scheme as they ran in the east at least part of the time.  A train of them and a train of mixed NS gons and hopper might satisfy my coal hauling needs.

Rapido can't be too happy about the FVM RD-4s coming back just as their much more expensive version is about to hit the market.
Peter Pfotenhauer

kscessandriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2022, 07:04:37 PM »
Rapido can't be too happy about the FVM RD-4s coming back just as their much more expensive version is about to hit the market.

Technically not the same car. FVM is a Trinity RD-4, whereas the Rapido model is a FreightCar America Autoflood 3. Similar but not the same car.