Author Topic: N-Possible Coupler Announcement (Nashville 2022)  (Read 15328 times)

turbowhiz

• Crew
  • https://n-possible.com
  • Respect: +139
    • N-Possible
N-Possible Coupler Announcement (Nashville 2022)
« on: June 11, 2022, 01:05:14 PM »
+3
I will be unveiling the N-Possible coupler at the National N Scale convention in Nashville.

Come and see me there, and be among the first to see the N-Possible coupler prototypes in action!

The prototypes perfectly demonstrate the impressive operational characteristics enabled by the novel new N-Possible metal spring mechanism. The mechanical design was developed for scale sized couplers first and foremost, and that is the N-Possible development focus, although its equally applicable to a compatible/magnetic coupler as well.

The N-Possible scale coupler prototypes reliably couple with forces that rival that of traditional MTL couplers. They are very easily “pick” un-coupled, even under low lighting conditions. They have a range of lateral travel to support any reasonable curve radius/rail vehicle length combination. The couplers also stay coupled extremely reliably, even under extreme compression or tension scenarios. Of course, they don’t “slink” either, and the operational merits of a low slack coupling design are significant.

The N-Possible scale prototypes exhibit that it is possible to have manufacturable true to scale size couplers that operate demonstrably better than existing overscale designs. N-Possible!

I look forward to demonstrating these couplers in action at the convention, and of course there will be much more information about this project here in the days and weeks to come.

See some of you in Nashville!

Andrew

https://n-possible.com

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +908
Re: N-Possible Coupler Announcement (Nashville 2022)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 01:52:25 PM »
 :drool:
~Ian

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 03:20:45 PM »
+3
Here is what I need to make the switch:

Bulk packs of couplers only that fit 1015/1016 coupler boxes.
Bulk packs of couplers only that fit under-slug coupler boxes.
Bulk packs of couplers WITH 1015/1016 boxes.
Bulk Packs of couplers with under-slug couplers.

That would cover 90% of my fleet.

Keep in mind that cost will be a huge factor for me. I have about 2000 cars and over 250 engines. Many of these cars have already gone though multiple conversions:
1. Rapido to MTL trucks.
2. MTL trucks to low profile plastic wheels compatible with C55.
3. Trucks swapped out with Atlas/BLMA/Other with correctly centered kingpins.
4. Body mounting couplers.
5. Replacing all trucks with low profile metal wheels.

So this would be a 6th revision on much of my fleet which is a BIG ask.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 05:15:12 PM »
+1

Do they actually mate with existing knuckle-style N scale couplers, or is this a totally proprietary system (like the failed MTL True-Scale couplers)?
Under the streets of Los Angeles

Doug W

• Crew
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 06:07:28 PM »
Looking forward to seeing and hearing more!  :)

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 06:41:17 PM »
Ok, I signed up.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 07:00:05 PM »
+4
...like the failed MTL True-Scale couplers

Did they fail or just haven't met 'everyone's' expectations yet?  Protoypes, product choices, and politics are all the same, everyone has their own version that they think is the best; and that they think everyone else should believe in.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

ncbqguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +384
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 07:29:43 PM »
+1
It will be interesting to see what this announcement is all about.

Couplers are not easy; even Kato and Micro-Trains have had missteps in this arena.

Many copies/compatibles for M-T have been tooled and non have gained any traction.  The faults of the de facto standard are well understood but none have solved them without introducing new issues in terms of appearance, function or durability.

Charlie Vlk
Railroad Model Resources

Wutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +247
    • Wutter Vehicles and Details
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 09:21:16 PM »
Looking forward to the official announcement! Looks like it's possibly compatible with an existing coupler boxes made for MT/Accumate/ScaleTrains boxes from the picture of the Scale Trains Gunderson Multi-Max?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Alvin
Wutter Vehicles and Details
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wuttervehicles

tehachapi highlight reel:

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 03:23:44 AM »
+2
I would need ones that fit the 1025 boxes, as I have about a 1000 cars with those.

And a real good reason to switch, since I'm more interested in running trains than taking pictures of them.  MTs and Accumates work fine for me.
N Kalanaga
Be well

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2022, 10:28:51 AM »
+1
I am surprised this announcement came after I've only completed 94 of my planned 100 conversions to 1015s on various rolling stock.

I look forward to seeing what these new couplers actually look like, which I assume is coming next week.  I suppose I might dabble with a few pair of scale sized couplers for photo purposes, but I will probably wait until there are some real life reports from modelers running 100 car trains before taking on any major overhaul or adopting a standard.

Another major consideration is whether these will be manufactured in the US, or "outsourced", and/or will an adequate inventory be maintained in the US to keep these available at all times?

On the sidebar conversion about MTL "true scale" couplers- I've been happy with mine. Most of my use is for photos, but they also seem to work fine for what they are. I did not expect them to be compatible with magne-matics, but they sure look good in between cars that generally don't need to come apart- with a "conversion" car in the form of a coach or idler flat or some such at the end of a group of cars.
'
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2022, 10:43:22 AM »
+2
... On the sidebar conversion about MTL "true scale" couplers- I've been happy with mine. Most of my use is for photos, but they also seem to work fine for what they are. I did not expect them to be compatible with magne-matics, but they sure look good in between cars that generally don't need to come apart- with a "conversion" car in the form of a coach or idler flat or some such at the end of a group of cars.

Similar here. One "secret" I've discovered with TSC is to use "long shank" versions wherever possible. They require considerably less force in coupling than short shank versions.

A change in overall philosophy I wish but seems to get further and further away is the notion that a "1015 compatible" box molded into our newer and better models is the solution to body-mounting. It's not. It excludes other designs. We need to be able to replace the entire box without resorting to drastic measures like carving up very expensive models.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2022, 04:21:29 PM »
+1
The MTL True Scale couplers also work well in close-coupling MU'd motive power without oscillation, such as the Life-Like FAs/PAs/Erie-Builts/C-Liners etcetera and Kato E/F units.

I went through the en-masse coupler conversion exercise in the 1980s, when it became clear that the MTL coupler had become the unofficial yet de-facto standard.  That was a Herculean effort at the time and my equipment roster is a fraction of the size it is now.  I also need the magnetic uncoupling functionality.  I'm established with the MTL coupler design which functions well for me, and I can't afford to migrate again even if I wanted to.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2022, 04:43:54 PM »
+1
My heavyweight passenger cars have a nasty habit of uncoupling during backup moves or stops. Never have the issue with any freight cars. Haven’t spent any time really trying to understand why yet.  Will need to find an easy solution.  I have considered a scale 905 MT couplers but need to pick up some to experiment with.   
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2022, 08:28:22 PM »
My heavyweight passenger cars have a nasty habit of uncoupling during backup moves or stops.
What brand cars and brand/type of couplers?  Body or truck mounted?
. . . 42 . . .