Author Topic: MTL June releases  (Read 3386 times)

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
Re: MTL June releases
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2022, 09:51:50 AM »
Safe! Hey, remember the transition era? Some of us still model that...

Yep, modeling the transition era and the B&O, not much love from MTL. Can't remember the last time I bought any of their new releases. For decades they were my main pusher. Still love their products.

As another B&O transition era modeler, I am still waiting for that baggage/coach paired-window combine that has been "in the works" now for a very long time. I hope to see it before I make that final transition into my grave.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +986
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2022, 01:40:35 PM »
As another B&O transition era modeler, I am still waiting for that baggage/coach paired-window combine that has been "in the works" now for a very long time. I hope to see it before I make that final transition into my grave.

Paired window....single window......from an ATSF prototype...how many hints have we had over the past 7 years.....well, no doubt, it will be something, someday.

Frankly, after 7 years of waiting, I'd be fine if they just put out a baggage car with symmetrical doors that I could cut in half, cut whichever coach I want in half, and glue them together.  Plus, I could use some heavyweight baggage cars with symmetrical 5.5 to 6 foot doors. Or a nice resin kit.... I'm really not that picky.
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +564
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2022, 01:39:45 PM »
Yes, I do have plans to cut up some MTL coaches and baggage cars.  But, I have a lot of plans for a lot of things, and I keep shoving that one down the list in hopes that MRL will get to it before I do.  However, apparently I need to start mine first, so that they can announce theirs as soon as I have cut up 2 cars.   :facepalm:

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2022, 02:05:51 PM »
Micro-trains is releasing Weathered Deck 3-pack for their bulkhead flat cars. A very much needed detail for the bulkhead cars.  I am sure these will go quickly!

Decals would be better, both to keep the thickness of the deck reasonable and to retain the relief on top of the deck.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2022, 03:11:57 PM »
Yes, I do have plans to cut up some MTL coaches and baggage cars.  But, I have a lot of plans for a lot of things, and I keep shoving that one down the list in hopes that MRL will get to it before I do.  However, apparently I need to start mine first, so that they can announce theirs as soon as I have cut up 2 cars.   :facepalm:
I'm glad we have a volunteer, I thought I might have to be the one to take one for the team.

When Atlas first brought out their shorties, I email customer service to find out if bodyshells and other parts would be available for those cars (which would be a better option, because all the letterboards and such would line up). They said they weren't sure, but they thought 6 to 12 months, and there would be parts made along with a second run of cars.  Well, there has been a second run, and a third or fourth run of cars currently on the schedule, but no parts yet. I was set for at least one combine, and several RPO-Baggage, if only I had the shells.
Tom D.

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2022, 03:41:13 PM »
Paired window....single window......from an ATSF prototype...how many hints have we had over the past 7 years.....well, no doubt, it will be something, someday.

Frankly, after 7 years of waiting, I'd be fine if they just put out a baggage car with symmetrical doors that I could cut in half, cut whichever coach I want in half, and glue them together.  Plus, I could use some heavyweight baggage cars with symmetrical 5.5 to 6 foot doors. Or a nice resin kit.... I'm really not that picky.

amazing what you can do with a razor saw.   :D    At some point we will circle around and get to the combine...its usually brought up in most of our road map meetings as we move the schedule around to fit capacity and sales potential. 

Joe

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2022, 04:26:25 PM »
+2
Speaking of MTL future releases,  I'd love a "Wabash Cannonball" heavyweight runner set - in Blue with Extended Roman lettering (not the later UP-style Futura font, which roughly coincides with the "modernization" of the cars)
It started off as a 6-car heavyweight train, often pulled by a single E unit.

70' baggage
Baggage/RPO  (a 60' car, but who's measuring?)
Paired-window Coach
Paired-window Coach
Diner
Observation

Here's a colorized picture of the rear of the train.

Note that the observation is lettered Pullman - the rest of the cars were lettered Wabash.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 07:13:58 PM by nickelplate759 »
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +535
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2022, 04:47:51 PM »
Note that the observation is lettered Pullman - the rest of the cars were lettered Wabash.

Nice George! Is that the the "Diplomat" (later renamed "City of Danville")? (plan #3957)

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +994
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2022, 05:38:06 PM »
Nice George! Is that the the "Diplomat" (later renamed "City of Danville")? (plan #3957)
Yep!   It's sister was "Embassy"
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2022, 06:42:21 PM »
+1
Speaking of MTL future releases,  I'd love a "Wabash Cannonball" heavyweight runner set - in Blue with Extended Roman lettering (not the later UP-style font, which roughly coincides with the "modernization" of the cars)
It started off as a 6-car heavyweight train, often pulled by a single E unit.

70' baggage
Baggage/RPO  (a 60' car, but who's measuring?)
Paired-window Coach
Paired-window Coach
Diner
Observation

And that is a two for one deal, since the Wabash Chicago to St. Louis Banner Blue had a very similar consist, and the "runner pack" you suggest could work for either train. (with the caveat that the cars are "closest available in MTL line") It would be a good looking train.  Note: a parlor obs would be a nice addition to the MTL line....

I got a head start on mine-
In my case (1956), I needed the Futura style lettering-

Tom D.

H Lee

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2022, 11:03:53 AM »
And here's the PDF:

https://www.micro-trains.com/publicfiles/monthly/MN2206.pdf

YAWN!!!!!

Years ago I eagerly waited for the first of the month to see what MTL released.....

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2022, 11:44:48 AM »
+7

YAWN!!!!!

Years ago I eagerly waited for the first of the month to see what MTL released.....

That's uncalled for.

They can't service everyone's kink every month.

I've been in trouble over the past few months, and I don't mind a break.

Give them one too.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2022, 12:40:20 AM »
+1
Ed:  I agree.  They very seldom have anything I need, but that's because I've been collecting for 50 years, and model 1974.  Most of what I really need was made years ago, and any prototype newer than 1974 I can't use.  But there are a LOT of customers modeling newer prototypes, and others modeling earlier eras who haven't been in the hobby as long as I have, so there's no way they can make something for everybody, every month.

As long as their trucks and couplers are kept in stock, I'm satisfied!
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2022, 12:47:29 AM »
+1
Oh man, this place is touchy.  IMO H Lee's post was not *THAT* bad.  But then again it's me, and I seem to not be one of the sensitive types.
. . . 42 . . .

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2022, 08:13:25 AM »
amazing what you can do with a razor saw.   :D    At some point we will circle around and get to the combine...its usually brought up in most of our road map meetings as we move the schedule around to fit capacity and sales potential. 

Joe
Thanks for the response, Joe.  More or less what I figured.  Until the time comes that you drop a photo of a potential prototype here on the Railwire for discussion, if I need a combine of any description, I'll resort to my razor saws and collection of spare parts.
Tom D.